“I arrived the next day, and sure enough”
Review of Duc Thai Hotel

Duc Thai Hotel
Ranked #292 of 603 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to go to Halong Bay for one night. We left our luggage with the hotel, just as I have done many times in my life. Just before leaving, I put my iphone in my bag. I arrived the next day, and sure enough, the iphone had disappeared. I usually hate blaming other people in these situations, but I am positive it was taken by someone on the staff. The lone bright spot of this hotel was that one of the bellboys seemed to feel really about about my phone, and offered to help find me a new one in Hanoi.

If you are looking for a shower with lots of warm water, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank meloncararo

Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed in the hotel during Christmas and New Year Holiday and we were surprise with a little new year party in the midnight of the 31th Dec 2010. The staff there are very friendly and helpful, and also the tours were organized perfectly. Size of rooms are big enough for 3 people and very clean. The only downfall is the water pressure is too low to take shower sometimes.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Conviniently located, our room was comfortable and roomy. All the staff of the hotel was very friendly and helpfull. We stayed for sixteen nights and felt like being at home. I will always stay in the Duc Thai when visiting Hanoi. can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed in the Duc Thai hotel as part of a wedding party for one week in early October.
Our group received excellent service from Tom and his staff.

The hotel is in a great location, and you can easily walk to key attractions in Hanoi. We organised two tours through the hotel, both enjoyable, particularly the one day trip to the Perfume Pagoda.

We can recommend this hotel for those wishing to stay in clean, centrally located premises without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I stayed in the hotel in July and August. I apreciate the stuff and Tom, all where kind, and ready to give advises, and arange diferent things, including visa extension. Prices i would say and arrangments are the best i saw, especial ratio: quality to price Rooms are big, and clean, breakfast is ok, there are computers with internet. i would say aranging anything by the hotel is safe, good, and trustworthy. In general I was happy and satisfied with my stay in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed October 16, 2010

This hotel is ok. Good location, and decent room, although have gotten much better rooms for cheaper across Vietnam. Internet did not work (neither wifi or broadband) in either of the two rooms we stayed in while at this hotel, had to go to the lobby. But my main problem with the hotel is with the 'travel agent'. We used the hotel to book a Halong Bay tour, and while they told us we were getting a great deal, we found out later that we paid nearly double what most other people paid for the same thing! Then when we returned from Halong Bay, we used them to book the train to Hue. It was $41/pp and he told us we were getting first class, and the fastest train to Hue. When we got the tickets, the price on the ticket was only $550,000VND, and it was on HN1. I looked this train up, and it was not the fastest train at all, but he told me that the website I was reading was "fake and not true". The train we got was certainly not first class, we had hard sleeper, and the bathrooms were disgusting. And the A/C only worked about half the time, making it ridiculously hot in the cabin. And the train took 16 hours to get to Hue! VERY dishonest booking agent at this hotel. Personally, I think you can find something better for the price, and hopefully a bit more honest employees as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
hanoiducthaihotel, Manager at Duc Thai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you so much for the review. Your review is big contrubution to us. However, you misunderstood everything about the train ticket!
+) Only 02 train ticket left when you booked the train ticket and the train office asked for the higher price! Our staff also asked you for agreement because he know that it was not normal price.
+) The train HN1 is only from Hanoi to Hue. Actually, It takes about 12 hours to get to Hue from Hanoi. However, it took 16 hours because of the flood in the Central of Vietnam at that time.

Hope this information can help all the valued guests!

Tom Ngo

Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in total around a tour to halong bay. First impressions were superb, although we arrived at 6 am the owner gave us a fantastic welcome and the room was already prepared for us, a stark contrast to some other hotels we had stayed at! We paid 25 dollars a night for a double room that was very nice, spacious, and with a good air con system, as well as a desk and chair. However, the room did have no window, the tv had very poor reception on many channels, and the plug on the bath didn't quite fit properly so that water leaked out, albeit very slowly, when you had a bath! The price did include breakfast, which was good, although basic, as well as free internet. The staff were amazingly friendly throughout, and offerred to arrange a tour to halong bay for us. I have no doubt that the tour they offer is great, but we had already booked one through ocean tours. At some places, staff can become unfriendly when you decline tours, but not here, they continued to be extremely helpful and were not pushy at all. When we asked to stay an extra night, that was also not a problem. Overall, I think the hotel costs a little bit too much given we had a few problems with the tv/bathroom, but the staff are just brilliant and I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple