“Nice bit of luxury”

Ranked #219 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, Australia
“Nice bit of luxury”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The room (Augustine) was nice, but some sneaky previous guest used the razor and shaving cream from the complimentary toiletries and then left the half used shaving cream in the pack - housekeeping did not check it. Rooms have thin walls so you hear people in the hall talking. When booking a tour I specifically asked that the tour company drop me back at the hotel, the hotel staff member said he would ensure that. I also asked for the optional water puppet show at the end of the tour. I got the water puppet show but the tour company did not pick me up after it and they only told me when dropping me off. I ended up walking back, but I should have been told this earlier by the hotel. Also I had to pay for the tour in cash only. On the good side, staff were courteous but some had limited English. I read on another website about how great the Pho soup was at the hotel restaurant - I can 100% agree. It was so good I had it two nights in a row; it was a good price and good serving portion. And service was fast. Other good points: close to the church and lots of shops and I felt safe walking around.

Room Tip: If traveling solo ask hotel to send a car service to and from the airport
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Aussie2424

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed in St Joseph Double Room from 7 to 10 Sept.

Likes:
1) Bright, clean and airy room.

2) Double glazed windows cut out most street noises.

Dislikes:
1) Upon check-in, we asked for breakfast to be served in room the next morning at 10am as we wanted to sleep late. The restaurant staff repeated our instruction and indicated that he understood perfectly. But breakfast never turn up. We went to the restaurant, and was offered a less than convincing explanation by another staff.

2) Asked for late check-out. Again the staff said ok and understood our requests (even asked for our room number). When we returned after lunch on the last day, the key card did not work because it had expired. Went to reception and find it very irritating that the staff reminded us that check out is 12pm and asked again what time we will be leaving.

3) Shower water drips onto the floor due to bathtub glass door's design.

4) Recessed area around the tub gathers water (again poor design).

5) Shower area felt a bit dark even though all lights were on.

6) Few hotels supply daily complimentary fruits, but this hotel does which was good. However the fruits quality are questionable. For instance the banana were rotting in some parts. Why can't more care be put into selecting the fruits? Learn from Fullerton South Hotel in Taiwan, the fruits they supply are impressively flawless.

It is of little use if the staffs appear outwardly to be friendly but could not coordinate and carry out simple requests. This really killed the goodwill that I felt towards the property. A previous review by another traveler who shared bad experience about asking the hotel to arrange pickup to the airport indicates that the staff problem might not be a one off. Shame.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jpmugen
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel‌ for several trips that I have made to Hanoi. I like most is the cleaness and nearby to many‌ places. I would‌ recommend‌ it for those who like boutique hotel to stay for your visit.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank soklay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Church is small boutique located perfectly near good restaurant, nice coffee shop, ATM, galleries and small nice shops in the heart of old quarter Hanoi. We found this hotel last year when we walk around Chatedral Area. The old hotel just been renovated nicely. We actually like the interior, however there are some problem on air conditioning in the afternoon around 3-5pm and a leaking water from the shower made all the bathroom floor wet, every time we finish shower.

We choose our hotel in the higher floor (6 Floor) with street view. There is no noise from the street, but if you are a light sleeper be ready on the noise from other room

Not only centrally located and nicely designed, the staff in this hotel are actually friendly.
But sometimes, they just don't understand what you want because of their limitation in English. This made our last hour in this hotel become a disaster. My partner booked a 7 seaters for our transfer to airport around 3am to catch up early flight and reconfirm a night before.

We are so nervous, because the taxi is not there.
There are only two person available in the lobby and both have no initiative to prepare the back up transportation. The reception keep on asked us to wait for 5 minutes. After 45 minutes of waiting, I start to loose patient and push the male reception to call for 24 hours taxi. Then the 4 seaters taxi arrives. As we predicted, this type of taxi is not enough as we have many big luggages.

Finally, after another moment of waiting, we got our 7 seaters taxi.
It was a scary ride to the airport, as the taxi has to reach airport in 30 minutes to catch up the flight under big rain in Hanoi in the middle of the dark morning.
We can not imagine if we just sit and wait for the reception to arrange the taxi.

Too bad that this nice hotel can not arrange the transportation for their guest..

Room Tip: Higher Floor with Street View Street View are hot in the afternoon
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank timjahja
sydney
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Church has threee properties around the central Hanoi area at Hang Gai, Hang Ca and Nha Tho. I stayed in Hang Gai which is in the middle of the French Quarter and all the action. Shops, restaurants, coffee and walks around the market and lake are right on the doorstep. The Hotel is clean and stylish, the breakfast great and varied and the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but modern with everything you need for comfort. I stayed her many times in 2011 and 2012 and never had a bad experience. There are many other boutique hotels in the area which I did not sample because I was so happy with this one. Highly recommend for short term visits to Hanoi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dude6988
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a very small boutique hotel in a central area in Hanoi. There were 3 rooms on each floor and although my room on the 7th floor overlooked the street, there was no street noise to be heard. In fact the only noise to be heard was the closing of each guest's room door. Although the room is small it is beautifully decorated and lacks for nothing. It even includes a set of bathroom scales for the guest. The mattress is firm and the doona and pillows are soft and fluffy. The only negative I could comment on was the mirror on the bathroom door which opened inwards towards the toilet.. Most people probably would not like to have a mirror facing them when using the toilet.The staff are lovely, always smiling and very efficient. the buffet breakfast is adequate although a little more fresh fruit would be great. Love this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JJ1212
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It is a great pity that the food served in the restaurant was so dismal compared with the polite staff. There was only one other table tonight. Why did it take nearly an hour to present our meals? One friend's chicken was cooked to perfection, but included limp brown lettuce, my "Sweet and sour prawns (a pitiful six small prawns) came with the same wilted mushy lettuce! But my other friend was served raw chicken in a BBQ sauce which we returned to the kitchen. It was more than 40 minutes before we decided to leave, still hungry. We could hear the 4 people at the other table complaining about the slow service. Even if the kitchen had to go out and buy more chicken, I have no idea why it took so long. But she did get served rice with her piece of BBQ chicken. My prawns in a bright yellow sauce- no rice. I most certainly would not recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank KnowledgeHunt
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your comment about our restaurant. Concurrently, we're really sorry for the bad experiences you've gone through. There's no rescues could be accepted for this case. This's definitely the lesson for us to train our staffs to do better. We do hope that you feel much better now.

Once again, thank you for your stop off at our La Petite Eglise Restaurant. Please noted that it's an honor for us to welcome you back to our hotel one more time in the near future.

Best regards,