“Good if you know what you're getting and you pay the right price”
Review of Viet Fun Hotel

Viet Fun Hotel
Viet Fun Hotel
Ranked #375 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good if you know what you're getting and you pay the right price”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Let me just say that this is not meant to be a completely bad review. The staff at Viet Fun is lovely, the location of the hotel is great and the rooms were spotless (despite being tired), but this is my experience:

As I was going to take a CELTA course in Hanoi, I was looking for a reasonable hotel where I could stay for a month. As I'd be spending a lot of time in the room doing homework and relaxing, I needed a bright and airy room, and warm enough. I found Viet fun via a recommendation on Lonely planet.com, and after corresponding with the staff, we were offered a lovely room (we were sent pictures) for 25 dollars.

Unfortunately, when we turned up, we were shown to a hotel which looked nothing like the one on the website (the reception was completely different), and to a spotless room (which is good) which however looked quite dingy and depressing and was not the room we wanted. When we mentioned this the staff said that the room they had promised us had some problems in the bathroom...but I am not even sure that room exists. We settled down in our room but soon started shivering with cold, only to realise that the window had a broken pane which was letting the cold in. We were shown two other rooms - one was nicer but it had a window which was boarded up with cardboard (so no light) and a door (not a glass one) which you had to open to get some light (therefore also letting the cold in).
We had no choice but to move to a room on the first floor (british), where the window opened up onto a brick wall (so once again no light). The room was still very cold (the airconditioning only emmitting cold air) and the bathroom had a window with wide gaps between each pane which made it impossible for me to have proper shower or bath because it was freezing. Added to this, the mattress was really uncomfortable (I could feel the springs in my back) and from the first floor we could hear all the noise from reception. To add insult to injury, when I said that this room was of a lower quality than the one promised so we should be paying less, I was told that this was not the case as first floor rooms are more desirable, so they cost the same (so a 'city view' has the same price as a 'brick wall' view?)

We found another beautiful hotel for the same price, but could only move there after the second night. Upon telling the Viet fun staff that the room provided was simply not adequate for a long stay, they let us go without a fuss, and we simply had to pay for 2 nights (no deposit had been paid and no credit card details had been given). The new hotel (which I will review separately) was 10 times better at only one dollar more per night.

All in all, this is a cheap backpackers hotel. I have nothing against backpackers, but I needed something else due to the nature of my trip. If you can get the rooms for less than 25 dollars (which is overpriced) and you just want a clean private room with bathroom and don't intend to spend a long time in the room (or it's summer), then this is a good choice), but for 25 dollars, you can find much nicer hotels in the same area.

Room Tip: I also want to add that frankly, a lot of the 'good' reviews here on trip advisor seem to be...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tigris330

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I've stayed at Viet fun quite a few times, it's such a great location if you are a backpacker. Right next to the famous Hanio Backpackers but you don't have to stay in a dorm and its the same price if not cheaper. You are set right in the heart of the Old quarter and every time I have stayed - I have been given lovely, big rooms. (though a couple of my friends were put in a slightly less impressive room). They include breakfast in the price and the staff are really nice, there is also free internet. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone who's looking to be in a vibrant area, but is also looking for a private room for a cheap price (they even have one room which sleeps 5 - which was like having your own dorm but much nicer than being in a bunk bed). I wouldn't book trips from here though, they are more expensive than the surrounding travel agents.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lko88
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We were blessed with all staff. The room which was enough for us, was very nice. Also their service were wonderful. They organised for us Halong 1 night on boat 1 night in bangalow and tickets to Thailand. Value money.
We are greatful of their support & cheeful spirit.
We had great time. Thank you to all the staff at Viet Fun we have enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms in backside are quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HPhappy
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed here for two nightsin October 2011 either side of a three-day trip to Halong Bay.

We were given a room for $10 (which later transpired to be 210,000 dong, 10,000 more than expected), which was tny. It was fine for us because it seemed to be the cheapest on the backpacker strip, but it was awkward with two of us living our of backpacks.

Hanoi Backpackers over the road is probably better and cheaper for single travellers.

Saying that I've had the best nights sleep of my entire trip at this hotel - I think a mixture of the duvet and cod air conditioning.

They do breakfast for an additional $2, but it's not worth it. There's a great Banh Mi stand at the bottom of the road that does salad/ cheese roll for 15,000 dong.

The staff seem very friendly to start with but then become very nonchalant after you check in. We had a night out one night and arrived back at the hotel at around 2am. The shutters were down and we had to wake up the guy to let us in. He was a bit miffed with us, especially when we had to get him to climb three flights of stairs to help us unlock our bedroom door which was jammed!

We didn't book a trip through them, which a lot of reviews say they are terrible at organising. They quoted us $16 for transport to the airport - we later found a bus for $2.

Instead we went to the Sinh Tourist (Originally called Sinh Cafe, but it changed its name after hundreds of fakes cropped up all over the city. It has a blue sign and is located north of the Lake) and booked the Elizabeth Sails cruise for $135 for two nights on the boat. We were thoroughly looked after.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 16, 2011

ended up staying here with a german girl i was travelling with when hanoi backpackers along the road was full.

for the same price as a dorm at the backpackers. we got our own room, with an en suite bathroom as well as a fridge and free breakfast. the room was nothing special but decent enough for two nights although quite small.

the staff were so nice and helpful. they booked out taxi to the airport for us. also every time we went out in the rain they insisted on giving us their umbrella! didn't book any tours through them so can't comment on what they were like.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed in Viet Fun just two nights. I checked in so early, but no problem. The location is logical. Staff were assiduous.
I vote in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mar_ppp
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My friend and I stayed for 2 nights at Viet Fun Hotel. We payed $20 for a good sized, clean room, however it was noisy late into the night due to the close proximity of a bar. The staff appeared friendly and helpful. However, we booked a 2 day, 1 night junk cruise to Halong Bay through the hotel, which ended up being a mistake. The staff showed us three cruises at prices ranging from $65 - $95 USD. We decided to splurge on the $95 trip for an extra special experience. The next morning, 5 minutes before the mini bus picked us up for Halong Bay, the hotel staff told us that we had been 'upgraded' and not to tell anyone on the boat. Upon arriving at Halong Bay, we realized that we had, in fact, been downgraded to one of the less expensice trips we had been shown by the hotel staff. We did end up having a good time at Halong Bay, but we spoke to the hotel staff upon our return to Hanoi, asking that my friend and I each be refunded the $20 price difference between the boat we paid for and the one we were placed on. The staff told us that they would not refund our money and that it was not their fault, but the boat company who had placed us on the wrong boat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple