“Wish I could stay in one of these everywhere we go”

Somerset Grand Hanoi
Ranked #76 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
San Diego, CA
“Wish I could stay in one of these everywhere we go”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

If I could have designed the ideal hotel for my family (wife, two kids) to stay in- this would be it. The apt. is massive - two real bedrooms and two real bathrooms- no pull out couch needed and plenty of space even after the kids go to bed. Breakfast was very tasty with enough choices to please everyone- made to order eggs, breads, fruits and more. Pool was a nice place to take a break from the city. Wish we had the same in every destination.
The hotel is a short walk to the Old Quarter and Lake- but I won't call it an "easy" walk- any walk across the street in Hanoi is a little stressful if you're not experienced. As a alternative, we sometimes took a cab- it was just a few dollars to most central locations and cabs were always available in front of the hotel- the doorman can also help direct the cab if needed.
I considered staying in some of the well reviewed boutique hotels in the Old Quarter, but I was never really sure how much space we would have, and the prices for their "family suites" were not much less then what we ended up paying here. After walking through the Old Quarter, I felt even better about the choice. Hanoi is a pretty chaotic city, and this hotel was an oasis of calm even though its still close to everything.

1 Thank leebids
Andrew M, General Manager at Somerset Grand Hanoi, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your compliments about our serviced residence during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and service. We hope you will stay with us again.

Kind regards,
Andrew Mah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for 1 month on a work trip. This is definitely an extended stay hotel, not sure I would recommend for short travel trips. I had a 2 bedroom and 2 bath apartment with living room and kitchen. It was very expensive, but company paid. Everything was very clean and the maids came by almost every day to tidy up. They would also sometimes wash my dishes and helped me buy some fruit. I tipped the person well after my stay. The biggest annoyance was the washing machine. The hotel provided only enough detergent for 2 loads and then you had to go buy additional detergent. I couldn't even find it in the little grocery store located next door and when i did find it somewhere else, they were huge bags and I only needed a little bit for my brief stay. Wish the hotel wasn't so stingy or at least provide a way for me to buy a small amount. Another annoyance were the plugs. There was only 2 outlets to use, the other ones had a special "key" to be opened and it took the staff hours to send someone up to open it up for me. This happened a couple of times...i would think they could make this easier if this is for extended stay clients. My breakfast was not included in the expensive room rate, and the one time I tried out the buffet, i was shocked at the price. The food also limited and wasn't that great, so I found other options on the street for much tastier and cheaper. But the one most terrible thing about this hotel is the elevators. They are the slowest elevators I have every been in. There are 3 of them, yet it takes at least 5 minutes for anything to open. Plus there are many many floors, so it can take forever in the mornings and evenings when people are trying to leave and come back. Overall, I would only stay again if company was paying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cvu79
Andrew M, General Manager at Somerset Grand Hanoi, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.

We always encourage our residents to bring their concern to the Guest Service Manager at the time when the issue arises. The purpose is to ensure that his/her concerns are addressed promptly with the objective of making his/her stay with us a pleasant one. In this instance, the management of the property was unaware of the incident and is very sorry to learn that you were left with an unpleasant experience.

Please contact me at email andrew.mah@the-ascott.com should you be visiting us again so that we can take remedial action to ensure incident like this will not happen again.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 31, 2013

For our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children), the Somerset Grand was ideal. A spacious and pleasantly decorated 2 bedroom apartment, with a really great great restaurant with ample choices for breakfast and location in the heart of the city - within easy walking distance of most major attractions. Really comfortable beds and double-glazed windows made our retreat to our room after the hustle and bustle in the streets of Hanoi quite welcome. Staff service was excellent too. I would definitely stay here again if we were to return to the amazing city of Hanoi.

Room Tip: For a small family, I would highly recommend the 2 bedroom apartment.
1 Thank KirstenVR
Andrew M, General Manager at Somerset Grand Hanoi, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.
Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset Grand Hanoi, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

London
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartments for a long weekend and it did the job fine. The apartments have recently had a refurbishment so they are and nicely furnished. Bathrooms have not been refurbished however the fantastic shower pressure makes up for it....great shower!
It is on the edge of the old quarter so you can walk there easily enough, and it is easily accessible to other attractions...The Prison (right next door), Memorial museum, lakes, HCM museum etc... Hanoi centre is pretty small so easy to get around by taxi's which are cheap. I liked this location as it was NOT in the old quarter and so much quieter and got a good night’s sleep away from all the motorbikes and car horns!
It is a good serviced apartment, the staff are all pleasant with good English, it was value for money, it does what it is meant to do, just don't expect any sparkle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew M, General Manager at Somerset Grand Hanoi, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing Somerset Grand Hanoi as your accommodation during your holiday in Hanoi. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our service. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Belfair, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

First visit to Hanoi. Three of traveling together this hotel is perfect living room, dining table kitchen with washer/dryer unit. Two bed two bath. Has nice pool and gym. Restaurant on site offers wide selection of items. Good food at reasonable prices. Grocery store and other shops on site. Staff very friendly and polite
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to have you stay with us. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities. We hope to welcome you to Somerset Grand Hanoi again.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Somerset Grand Hanoi on multiple occacions and have always had an extremely pleasant stay. The poolarea/café is wonderful and the rooms large and luxurious with easy access to the rest of the city. A home away from home when I am in Hanoi!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are a group of 6 friends travelling so we opted for a 3bedroom suite so we can all be at the same place. We got the room for approx $200, we felt it was a steal.

The location is not in the heart of the city but with everything so inexpensive there it is no problem for us taking the cyclo or the taxi to anywhere we want to go.

I love their breakfast, I love their baguette, I love their omelettes too.

The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They did our dining reservations for us and even help us print our boarding passes.

Would love to go back and would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew M, General Manager at Somerset Grand Hanoi, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your wondrful review of Somerset Grand Hanoi.

I am very pleased that we have contributed in some ways to the memorable holiday for you and your friends during your recent stay with us.

I also wish to thank you for your generous compliments of my colleagues. Such positive comments will definitely inspire us to consistently improving our service standard.

My team and I look forward to your return visit in the near future.