“Mold in the room and issues with check-out”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #26 of 371 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Helsinki, Finland
“Mold in the room and issues with check-out”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Ngo Huyen establishment (the "original" one) for a total of 3 nights/4 days in a private room (double room).

Right during the first night my girlfriend felt that she had an allergic reaction (itching) of some sort to the pillow, which she stopped using and was able to sleep. During the entire stay she felt that her respiratory tract was irritated, which happens to her when exposed to mould. It is likely that there is mould as the rooms don't ventilate well (or at all, to be precise).

We had originally booked just two nights, and during our stay I booked two more one night a time and paid for them. During the checkout it turned out that one of the payments wasn't registered (either the receptionist forgot to do it or then he's pocketing money) which caused an issue as they were asking us to pay for the "unpaid" night. Thanks to the helpful manager we were let go after figuring out the situation for 25 minutes, so if you're staying at this place always remember to ask for receipt for every payment you make to avoid situations like this.

The room layout was ok, with plenty of wardrobe space and a comfortable bed. The WiFi worked well in the room and other areas and the connection was fast. Air conditioning was also very efficient.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kkirjala
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Hi There, Thanks for your recent review of our Original hostel. i will be sure to pass on your feedback to our management and staff to make sure the booking process is 100% correct. All the best and enjoy the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hostel was amazing, we stayed for two nights back in January and did he 3 day halong bay tour which was the best thing we did on our world tour. Would love to go back one day. Nice food, good common area and bar

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MattMaloney
Thanks loads for your recent review of our hostel and Castaways. Always pleases us to hear that Castaways was the best experience on your round the world trip. Hope to have you back again some day!! All the best VBH Crew Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed in the original hostel which was a good location but I didn't enjoy my stay in the 6 bed dorm. The room had no windows and felt grubby. On the plus side the hostel was very friendly, with fun events In the bar and I met some really nice backpackers there. I believe the downtown hostel is much more modern and perhaps a better option.

What I really want to recommend is the Buffalo Run tour which is exclusively run by the hostel. It's a 7 day trip from Hanoi to Hoi An led by a brilliant tour guide Joel and full of off the beaten track adventure and a wonderful way to experience Vietnam.I was pushed outside my comfort zone but loved it and overall was a very rewarding week. If you have the time I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ShaunaEliz
Hey thanks for your review of our hostel and we are really pleased you had a great time on our awesome Buffalo Run experience!! I will pass your great feedback on to Joel. Enjoy the rest of your trip!! VBH Crew Manager
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed in Hanoi Backpackers in Ma May street in Hanoi. It was the newer of the 2 HBH's in the city. I really enjoyed my stay and met a lot of good people here.
The dorm rooms were well laid out, clean and reasonably spacious. The ensuite bathrooms were also well equipped with plenty of showers and toilets and were very clean.
The breakfast included was excellent with choices of different dishes. The downstairs bar was always lively, making this a very social place to stay. However if you did want an early night the bar did shut at midnight every evening.
There were plenty of common areas in the hostel besides the bar area so if you wanted a quiet place to chill out you could find it here.
I also did the Mai Chau trip through the hostel which was excellent. They have other trips including to Halong Bay that are also very popular.
I would highly recommend this hostel as I really enjoyed my stay and have good memories of my time there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hi, Thanks heaps for your review and we are very pleased you had an excellent time especially on our awesome Mai Chau trip. Enjoy the rest of your travels. VBH Crew Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in HBH downtown for a few nights and enjoyed the hostel as a whole.
The rooms were clean and roomy and the hostel is modern with good bathrooms etc.

The drinks and food are overpriced and I found the hostel to be lacking things you'd expect from a hostel of this price.
Firstly, the air conditioning in the dorms is turned off during the day which sucks if you're trying to escape from the heat for a while during the day.
The food was pretty good but again overpriced for what it is.

The staff weren't very friendly. The chill out area is anything but as you roast in the sweltering heat thanks to no cooling.

Wifi is crap and only worked downstairs.

The TV in the chill out area was broken for the entire time.

I did the castaway island Halong bay tour whilst there and whilst I enjoyed myself, it was overpriced compared to other trips available. The boat they had was a crappy old wooden thing that I questioned whether or not it would sink. It had mould growing on the walls and no working aircon in the room.

The island was good but no pillows are supplied in the huts which they failed to mention.

If I had my time again, I would probably stay elsewhere in Hanoi but nearby and just wander in for a drink to enjoy the party crowd.

For a place that is clearly making loads of money from it's guests, they could do more to make the place better staring with leaving the aircon alone.

• Stayed May 2014
Thanks for your recent review of our hostel. We take all our feedback seriously and will pass your comments directly to our team for the improvement of the hostel. VBH Crew Manager
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This place is brilliant for any backpacker - solo, groups, couples etc. I stayed in various dorms, Club Med was the last one (I think!) and found it clean, cool, comfortable. The bathroom was small and could have been bigger - for 12 girls 1 shower prob was pushing it! I used the TV room to chill out and stayed in a mix dorm which was fine (less clean though with those manky boys). Travel out of Hanoi was cancelled and we were stuck - cue the Typhoon Party! Everyone had wigs, shots and plenty of drinks, much needed when travel plans were messed up. It was perfect location in the Old Quarter and everything you needed was close enough.

Definitely recommend the Jolly Roger trip to Halong Bay through this hostel, just remember to take loo roll and mosquito repellent for the island!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HI Emma, Thanks for your recent review of our hostel and we are super pleased you had a great time!! Hopefully next time you come back there will not be a storm but then as you said storm parties are lots of fun in the hostel. Thanks - VBH Crew Manager
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Well, this one of those places where you have to know what you like when you are going there. It is a huge hostel, a load of large dorms, and many private rooms. I stayed in the 12 bed dorm, and it was quite a erm… experience. I shan’t be coming back here, but that wasn’t anything to do with the hostel, it just wasn’t for me.
However, if you like big themed parties and copious amounts of alcohol then stay here. Every night I was here they organised big parties, on my second night they had a ladies night, when women got 2-for-1 on drinks, and any man who was willing to dress up in a dress also received the same deal. On my last night they had a huge mexican themed party, where if you draw a moustache on yourself (if you don’t already have one, which a lot of travellers do) you get deals on drinks.

Great place just not for me.

I stayed here for 3 nights.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi There, Thanks for your recent review of our hostel. You have reviewed our Downtown Hostel and I think our more chilled Original Hostel would have been more suited to your needs. Pleased you had fun and continue doing so on the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.