“100% would stay here again and in any of their sister hostels!!!”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #25 of 341 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
“100% would stay here again and in any of their sister hostels!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

This place was one of the best hostels I've stayed at as far as energy and what you want out of a youth hostel. The free b-fast was decent and the trips you can book through the reception are great deals! The staff are above average. I met some of the coolest people here and ended up bouncing around SE Asia with many those folks. Whoever hired the staff is on the ball! Excellent vibe'

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night at the ma my hostel as my flight passed through Hanoi... Wished I could have stayed longer though! I was too tired from a lengthy trip to socialise that night but room mates said they had a great time at the downstairs bar- and if you feel like a quiet day, no probs- level 5 has a movie room that doesn't really get used so you can read a book or nap or play pool etc. No place to cook food which can be a bummer but Hanoi has cheap food everywhere so probs not worth the hassle anyway. Breakfast was great- seasonal fruit with yoghurt for an extra 10000 dong is amazing- and the flat white is awesome if you're missing home. Toilets are not the cleanest but what do you expect from a hostel- it's not too bad. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at the backpackers for a total of three trips. The service is genuine and friendly, with western managers. They helped book a trip to Halong Bay.
The free breakfasts are amazing and the dinner menu is very tasty.
A great example of what a backpackers should be.

• Stayed January 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I feel like I should start by clarifying that I love the backpacking experience and understand the pitfalls and benefits that go with it. I even stayed at the old backpackers two years ago and loved it. I booked the private room at Hanoi Backpackers Hostel on Ma May knowing I was paying far more than other guesthouses but I wanted to have the backpacker experience in a really nice room where I could get over my jet lag in my own time. The room is clean and decorated nicely but for some unknown reason, at 10C there is no heating. Considering I was paying $50 a night I don't understand how they can justify not having one of the most basic comforts available in guesthouses that are 10 a night. To sleep at night I had to wear a heavy jumper and pants. When I raised it with staff they basically shrugged at me and acted like I was being unreasonable for asking to check the aircon until they informed me it only cooled, not heated. It took a whole day to even get an extra blanket. It was often colder in my room than anywhere else. Additionally, there is no soap in the bathroom and on arrival I got no information about the place including how to get the free breakfast. I feel completely ripped off and had a miserable experience with the room. Going straight to another guesthouse that's nicer and only $14 then I'll just hang out at the backpackers when I want to get the exact same experience. I highly recommend that everyone else do the same. So disappointed, I just wanted to have bit of relaxed fun.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank tesla14
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I can not really complain, as I am a backpacker and there really was nothing to really complain about: The place is clean, quite cheap, and the staff is helpful. They organize quite a lot of activities (which we didn't have to partake in since we didn't have time) and there's a great atmosphere in the (big) loung area at night. It is apparently one of the favorite expat hangout in Hanoi. We actually met some amazing people.

I personally wan't a huge fan because the place has so many guests that it sometimes feel like being in a backpacker factory where there's no real time for the staff to have a genuine interaction with travelers. I generally like places that are more laid back.

However, if you're a traveler that enjoys good company, don't really have time to look for something else and are on a budget, then this is the place you wanna stay at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

In May last year spent a week at the Hanoi Backpackers. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The atmoshpere was also very good and though I am not a young traveller felt comfortable and welcomed. The staff are ready to assist and offer helpful advice. Mangaged and owned by Austrailians. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

we stayed here three nights in total. we went on thier famous castaway tour to Haylong bay, which way good, with a fun activities, a nice boat, and a really nice island. still we have to say that you really need to watch out for yourself on this tour, because the tourguide doesn't seem to care if you go climbing, kayaking or wakeboarding when you're drunk. It's more a trip about drinking your head off, and if you don't want to do that then you are the borring one, and the guides doesn't seem to like you anymore. It's not worth the 200 USD, unless you like group pressure or drinking your head off.
The hostel itself is good. really nice and helpful staff, good food and the bar is nice too. We tried both the dorms and the rooms. Both a clean, good and to an okay price. This is a party hostel though, so if you get a dorm, you could have really drunk peoble making a lot of noise at night....
We stayed there for New Years because they said it would be a great party and a pub crawl, but we really really regretted it! we started at the bar at the hostel and it was really fun. Then everyone went to the sister hostel which was also really fun. But then they sent us all (about 200 peoble) on a pub crawl - a very bad idea. The (drunk) guides let us to a very small club, but the police showed up, so the led os across a 4-lane road ("If we stay in a group, the cars can't hit us" was what one of the guides said), down some dark, small ally till nobody knew where we were, all to get away from the police apparently.. in the end they stopped at a tiny restaurant in the middel of nowhere and said that we would stay here... we got really mad and left. They ruined our new years eve.. Not nice... Terrible, drunk and irisponsible guides!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, get a room. If you want to party, get a dorm.