“Efficient dorms and good vibe”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #26 of 372 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Jaisalmer, India
“Efficient dorms and good vibe”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The dorms are surprisingly clean, got two showers and a toilet for 10 people, not too bad for a city backpackers. You get a large locker underneath the bunk beds where you can fit all your junk and safely lock it. With every bed comes a tiny locker next to the power point so you can lock your valuable phone and charge it at the same time. Beds are quite comfy and clean sheets.
Breakfast and use of computers is included. There is a bar up stairs but without atmosphere. The breakfast/lunch area is a nice place to have a chat with other travellers.
Tours are definitely overpriced so didn't go along with them.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have an in-built distaste for inner-city backpacker hostels. Nonetheless I stayed at this one for a single night only because it was central, a fixed price, and I was flying into Hanoi late in the evening and leaving the following morning.

In terms of quality and comfort, I honestly couldn't fault it. Everywhere was clean, well-maintained, and the dorms were thoughtfully custom-built, with a hook, shelf, reading light, and lockable valuables box for every bunk. The large under-bed storage for each person's rucksack was also lockable and clearly numbered. The shower was large and clean, but I didn't like the fact that the lock was on the bathroom door rather than the shower cubicle as it meant that nobody else could use the sink or the loo at the same time, but that's a minor complaint. They offer a free walking tour every morning which I didn't take, but I heard it was pretty good, and it's great that they offer it at all. Breakfast is also included. Fab central location and on a vibrant Hanoi street, but the entrance seems utterly incongruous with its surroundings.

I think my main issue with this place is largely an issue of taste. I find these sorts of places quite cold and unfriendly, and Hanoi Backpackers was no different. It doesn't matter how many 2-4-1 drinks they offer, or what funky colour schemes they use. If you're not 20 years old or already in a large group, you won't make friends here, unless you are in Hanoi with the sole intention to get off your face and sleep with the first thing you see. The woman on reception seemed genuinely shocked when I asked where the best street food sellers were located. To compare, whilst I was using their computers to work out the best way to travel solo to Cat Ba Island, two guys came down and asked where the best place was to go out drinking and she was able to answer straight away. It was pretty depressing.

When I came back from Cat Ba I had one more night in Hanoi and I chose to stay somewhere which charged over twice the price, partly because I wanted my own room to pack, but mostly because I couldn't face this being my final view of Vietnam. It's tailored 100% towards providing foreigners with a taste of home which I understand may be what you want after six months on the road, but personally I'd rather choose a place which actually has a connection with the country in which its located. If I wanted to stay in a British backpackers, I'd have stayed in Britain.

2 Thank Robyn J
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I went on the one night two day halong bay 'Rock Long Rock Hard' tour with Hanoi Backpackers for which I paid $100.

The tour guide was intoxicated during the whole trip, falling asleep on the bus and falling about on the island because he was more drunk than anyone else. The boat is sub standard for the price of the tour, the toilet smelled worse than the last day of most music festivals - the door had a window and the lock didn't work - say goodbye to your privacy. The ladder to get back on the boat after having a swim is bent in towards the boat and was very rusty. Most people had trouble getting back up onto the boat. I was told I would get to go kayaking by the staff at the hostel but when on the trip no one mentioned anything (probably too drunk). I took my own initiative and was allowed to go out on a kayak by myself with no safety gear or briefing whatsoever.

The private island is a very sad affair. Hanoi Backpackers have essentially ruined a beautiful island by placing an awful bar and shoddy huts there and filling it with uncultured silly foreigners. The rooms are open air huts with mattresses on the floor with mosquito nets. The toilets and showers are basic and not very clean.

I complained to the management about how unsafe the tour was and how I felt these problems should be addressed. I received a reply one week plater which was sincere and informed me that they were going to review the entire trip on receiving my complaint however having read previous reviews I do not know why they haven't addressed these problems already.

A positive aspect of the tour was the food and the Vietnamese staff on the island were fairly nice. Although I felt sorry for them that they had to deal with these ignorant foreigners all the time.

5 Thank s_pops89
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice social enviroment if you want a bar and to shoot pool etc. If your looking for affordable and fair pricing definetely not the place. Over priced on food, tours, and accomadation. AC doesn't turnon until about 10 pm and turns off very early so you wake to a hot room. The internet is slow and seems to crash quite frequently. They have a lot of computers but half of them don't work due to keyboard issues etc.

Good location and clean beds / bathrooms so that is a plus!

Room Tip: There all small rooms honestly, and the mixed dorm floor has a co-ed bathroom but it is big and clea...
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hostel itself has a cool atmosphere but it is extremely overpriced for the area. They take advantage of tourists because its reputation. The tours that are offered are 3 times more than what competitors are offering and it is through the same company. We paid 10 dollars per person a night in a room with 7 other people. You can get a great private room down the street in a hotel for 15... The bar here is great so I advice that you come to drink and party here but stay somewhere else. The rooms itself were a bit dirty and the bathrooms were only cleaned what looked like once a day - not really ideal for a hostel environment. Our lock on our door was broken for 24 hours and they didn't do much to compensate us for this mishap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked a stay here for 4 nights but only stayed for 2. It was by far the worst hostel we had ever stayed in. If you want to get wasted and then stumble into your room and wake everybody up in the night then maybe this place is for you. They have signs around that say it becomes a quiet zone after 11pm, it doesn't. It was so loud, with people coming in and out of the room shouting obscenities all night. On our second night a member of staff came into our room and got into a spare bed and was loudly trying to convince a girl in our dorm to sleep with him. Discusting.

Like the rooms their tour services are also overpriced. We were charged 1 million dong for a train ticket that should have cost 700,000 had we gone to the station ourselves, I understand charging a little commission but that is ridiculous. This place tries to act like its ran by people like you, backpackers, but it's not, it's run by rip off merchants.

We finally escaped, when we asked to upgrade to a private room we were quoted 50 dollars, enough was enough, we went three doors down and found amazing private, en suite room at a clean, helpful and friendly hotel for the same price that we were paying at the backpackers dorm room.

Rip off. Avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank swu28
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

ok this hostel is clean, it is warm, its safe too. Its very western style with staff being many westerners and the locals speak great English. the tours from here are good quality but are a little more expensive too. they do a free walking tour of the city each morning (recommend). has a nice bar down the bottom and a great hangout point on an upper level with games, tv, pool, free internet. would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo