“Buzzing place, awesome tour.”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #30 of 422 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Nice enough place, clean and friendly. There is free luggage storage for going on tours and the location is right in the heart of everything interesting in Hanoi.

There is heaps of computers, comfy seats, music, movies, deck, bar, everything you need.

They booked us on their tour of Halong bay which was the best night out we've had in Vietnam. Our tour guide was Irish so it got rowdy and we had a night we will never forget!

The only downside here is the same as other hotels in Vietnam: they quote USD but want you to pay cash VND.

Room Tip: The 1st and 5th levels are noisy common areas but the lift is slow so ideally get a room on the 3rd...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sv3nn0

Reviewed March 19, 2012

This review is for new new hostel on Ma May, owned by the same Aussies! I stayed at this hostel for ONE MONTH, yes, you heard me. It was simply the best hostel I have ever encountered and only six dollars per night! Don't let the bargain price fool you into thinking the quality must lack, this hostel was cleaner and more modern than any hostel I have ever stayed in at home in England, in America or in Europe. The Aussies certainly know how to please! The atmosphere was fantastic, so easy to make friends! There's always an event on, take my advice and visit the Snake Village- it's an experience like no other. Everyone always goes to the Bucket Bar; be careful, the buckets are deadly! The food at the hostel is amazing if you're staying a while and need some home comforts. Lunchtime pizza deals everyday, happy hour every night, it's a backpackers haven. On that note, although I did see one or two families, this hostel is mainly full of 18-30 year olds! Enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed on St. Patrick's Day and had pre-booked. Check in was efficient enough but on my way to my room I saw a sign prompting guests to "drink the hostel dry". It didn't bode well. And sure enough the rooftop party ensured noise into the night, the music in the club next door thumped through the walls till late. The girls in my dorm came back at 3am drunk and talked at the top of their voices and switched the light on! (Not that this is the hostel's fault but perhaps indicative of the idiots staying there!).

The breakfast was really lame so I paid for something which was pretty ordinary. But the worst was when I enquired about booking a train ticket to Ninh Binh. I had researched so knew roughly the cost ought to be 70,000dong ($3.20) and though I expected a service charge I was pretty unimpressed at being told $10!!! Rip off!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Kawaskuri
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Myself and a friend stayed in a twin room last week during our stay in Hanoi. We had emailed the hostel prior to our arrival and were told the old building had twin rooms and encouraged to stay there. On arrival we were taken to an old decrepid building next door, by very rude staff. Be warned that if you wish to stay in a private or twin room, you will not be in the main building advertised. The hotel next door is old, dirty, dingy and like something out of a bad horror movie. The rooms were dirty, there were no towels or soap in the bathroom and the lighting was like an dark saharan night. Needless to say we checked out early and moved elsewhere. Noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at, constant banking and creaking. Breakfast incidentally was also terrible and the staff was ruder than an angry chef. Total rip off at $25 per night. Since our stay, management have not responded to a single complaint email. Very very poor.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rick1UK
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stayed at Ma May which is their new hostel and it was great, got the basics right - comfy beds, lockers in rooms etc!! But the hostel itself and the staff were great. They have a great bar which if you are a single traveler like myself it is a great place to meet people and have fun. Food is good and they have great chill out area upstairs here you can watch movies which was nice after gettign back from halong bay!! Will be telling all my mates to stay here for sure!!

Room Tip: James is dreamy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MarkJoycey
Reviewed February 29, 2012

First of all, there's two of them, and my reuew is for the one on Ma May street in the Old quarter. We didn'tnsleep there because it was 9$ for a bed in a dorm when we couod get a private room with shower for 12$ down the street. However, its a good rally point, where you can eat, drink, go on the internet and book day trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed February 23, 2012

from start to finish this place has been great, i Have never felt such a good atmosphere in a hostel. the beds are really comfy, the booze is cheap and the pub crawl they arrange is not to be missed. Great staff too. Will def come back. also it is the cleanest hostel by a mile. free internet and pool table. i

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo