“good deal”
Review of Sunshine 1 Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Sunshine 1 Hotel
Ranked #367 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights. rooms was large, clean, felt safe, location perfect. I would recommend this place if you are not looking for luxury but location with friendly staff. Breakfast is just ordinary but the breakfast room is not with any ambience so just go sit somewhere at a street cafe to take in the scenes. airport pickup all fine.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank judManhattan
There are newer reviews for Sunshine 1 Hotel

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Moved to this place from the Sunshine Palace a few doors down. Had a look at the room before checking in and all was ok. Returned in the evening to find there was a problem with the hot water i.e. there wasn't any. Not even enough to have a shower let alone a bath.
After complaining, they denied there was an issue before finally offering me another room which was grottier and noisier. I said I wasn't very happy at which point the guy on the reception became astonishingly rude and aggresive. He said he wasn't going to talk to me and wanted to speak to my friend?! I asked what he meant. He reiterated he wasn't going to talk to me anymore and wanted to talk to my friend. Which amazed me as I wasn't rude just simply requesting a different room.

When I told him I was travelling alone he told me to get out and find another hotel. He was really quite aggressive and kept telling me to get out!

I would've quite happily done so just to avoid the confrontation except it was10.15pm and I had a tour that was collecting me from the hotel at 7.30am the following morning and I had no way of letting the company know my new location. Plus a woman on her own traipsing around the alleys of the old quarter with bags at that time of night is not an ideal scenario.!

Still shocked at the reaction. Had been living in Vietnam for 6 months prior to this and never encountered anything like it. Couldn't wait to leave. Avoid at all costs, especially if travelling alone.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank philamenafogg
Reviewed February 13, 2011

If you are looking for a mid-range hotel, in the very lively Old Quarter of Hanoi, I think Sunshine 1 Hotel is a good choice. I was there in the winter, with record-breaking colds, so the windows were closed at all times, and the heating system was efficient. If you want less noise from the street, try the rooms in the back. In winter, people go to bed around 11H PM so it was quiet to sleep. The beds are very good, and the room is very clean, I saw no bugs of any kind (again, maybe they were frozen). The bathrooms are a bit outdated, but there was plenty of hot water, there was a bath also, and a hairdryer. There is a flat screen TV with cable. But the best feature of the room is the computer with internet wich you can use as long as you want, it is included in the price. Since I started my trip to Vietnam in Hanoi, it was so useful to organize sidetrips to Halong, Sapa, etc...I really enjoyed the location. The breakfast is in another hotel from the same chain, about 3 doors away, and it was a bit boring. If you get tired of it, you can grab a pho bo anywhere on the street, it is sooo good! As for service, I always had a quick and efficient response when I asked for something. But the personnel was not particularly warm, I think they were shy because I am a women in her 50's travelling alone. Great value hotel, would go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank alvamaat
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed at the Sunshine Hotel for a few days while checking out Nothern Vietnam. The personnel was very helpful when we were off for a few days to Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay and were willing to keep our (very spacious) room available for us. Great service!
Only downside was the somewhat noisy environment, but I guess that u can't expect total silence in downtown Old Quarter Hanoi

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VietMark
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We found our room to be very clean and extra large in size.
The position is great.
Staff at the front desk were always helpful and friendly.
The only downside of this hotel is the breakfast which is served at one of the other Sunshine hotels just 20 meters or so down the road. It really was the worst we had in Vietnam and probably worth giving a miss.
As is the case in all of Vietnam, I would recommend you bring earplugs to improve your quality of sleep.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JenSaraAustralia
Reviewed May 14, 2010

really good location. near the lakes and the markets and the streets are all good and fun.
theres a computer and internet in your room which is great.
the staff were really nice guys. very hospitalble and strong for those stairs and the baggage we travelled with. (theres no lift.)
the room was spacious but not very plush. its kind of like your nanas old guest room.
the window leaked. or maybe it was the fridge.
the bed was kinda a bit hard for me. but you might like that.
there was free fruit.
and it was quiet......

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shellyfishfish
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel is located at Ma May Street in the Old Quarter. Easy to roam around the Old Quater and about 10minutes stroke to Hoan Kiem Lake. Around the Hotel are restaurants, food stalls and travel agency.

The staffs are friendly and helpful. The room is comfortable with free internet access in the room with PC provided. As there are a lot of food stall and they are opened till late so a little noisy during night.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends