“Dishonet owners!”

Old Darling Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Old Darling Guest House
Ranked #160 of 341 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Galway, Ireland
“Dishonet owners!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

The hotel was in a great location ... that's the only good thing I can say about this place!

The guy who runs this place (and his family run 6 other hotels in Hanoi) is dishonest! He tried to rip me off on several occasions. The first time was when I went to pay he tried to overcharge me. Then he "forgot" to take into account my deposit. I was overcharged for laundry. The initial dollar/dong exchange rate he tried to used was terrible until I brought it to his notice.

The prices he was trying to charge for the Sapa and Halong trips were CRAZY!!!! We booked a 3 day 2 night trip to Halong for US$91 each and on the trip we met another tourist from Old Darling and she had paid over US$200 for the trip!!!! This is not the only story we have heard about the owners of this hotel!

The rooms are tiny and very basic. Breakfast was non-existent.

Avoid!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple

Families
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

In retrospect, staying here was almost worth it for the sheer absurdity of what happened the next morning. For people who are used to sleeping in noisy hostel rooms, this place might be just fine, but if you value your sleep and sanity, look elsewhere.

The room itself was actually quite nice. It was modern and clean with good A/C, a TV and a fridge. It also had a pretty springy mattress, which is a rarity in Vietnamese hotels. Things looked promising, and the price ($15 for a double, including breakfast and internet) seemed like a good deal for Hanoi's old quarter. Unfortunately, the "staff" made this the worst. hotel. ever.

The Old Darling is ostensibly run by a gang of 6 or so local teenagers who use the lobby as their personal living room. At all hours they busy themselves smoking, shouting at each other, making prank calls on speakerphone, watching movies on the hotel's internet terminals, and blasting bad Vietnamese pop songs. They are at best indifferent to the hotel's guests, and actually refused to let us use the internet once because they were chatting on MSN. If they do pay attention to you, it is to repeatedly pressure you into buying their package tours.

Since the hotel is not soundproof at all, their noise is very audible in even the top rooms. We had to ask them to be quiet sometime after midnight so that we could sleep.

The real showstopper came when we checked out the next morning. A group of travelers in the lobby asked us about the hotel, and we told them it was very noisy and hard to sleep. This seemed to enrage the "staff". One of them chased us out onto the street, and after shouting a series of expletives at me, asked me "do you want to die?" I've had a lot of weird things happen to me at hotels and hostels, but this was a first.

This place appears to be run by the same people who run the (very well reviewed) Asia Queen Hotel next door - since the Asia Queen is being renovated for another few weeks, Old Darling is getting all of their reservation requests. Either way, the management seems sketchy. We saw a couple of groups with reservations show up late at night only to be told that they were full and had to be shuttled off to another guesthouse, which is funny considering that we walked in off the street with no reservation only a few hours earlier.

Avoid this place. There are too many decent hotels available in the old quarter for anyone to have to put up with this kind of treatment.

• Liked — Comfy mattress
  • Disliked — The death threats
  • Stayed July 2007
5 Thank BobLoblaw38

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

hatyai,Songkhla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

I had the valuable memory hear. Old Darling Guest House not only guest house but I can fell that I stay at home. Locate at down town,
room clean, reasonable price, friendly staff. Especially 1 staff that
take care me with her kindness. Next time at Hanoi, I will back to stay hear again. [----]

• Liked — room clean
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Massachusetts USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

My frind and I arrived in Hanoi and ended up at this little guest house.
It is in a nice quiet location and the price can't be beat.
However, after our first night we asked to switch rooms to one with a balcony and were told all rooms were full.
It was obvious to us that the rooms were not full and that the hotel wanted to save the balcony rooms to show to other tourists browsing for rooms.
We asked again and the staff ignored us. The entire staff became very rude. When we appeared aggravated they actually laughed at us.
The second night the room we had requested to change to did not even fill up.
Although the hotel was in a convenient location and was clean, I would not give these people my business again. I have stayed in a lot of guest houses travelling and these people were the rudest.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Always ask to see your room before you commit your $.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
1 Thank idiza
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

I had a very positive experience at this hotel. I made a reservation at Central Stars Hotel, but when I arrived in Hanoi they moved me to Old Darling. Initially, I was worried about where I was being sent, but once I met the family the next morning I was pleasantly surprised. Although their business card advertises rooms from $6-10, I paid $20 US. I had previously agreed to this amount with Central Stars when I made the booking on Expedia before arriving in Vietnam.

I had a large room with one double and one single bed as well as a large balcony on the 5th floor. I would ask for this room if possible.

They tried to sell me a tour package, but I made it clear that I had other arrangements. There was no hassling.

As a single, female traveller, I felt very safe in this hotel.

• Liked — Location and safe
  • Tips/Secrets — Although I had no problems, keep bags locked.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo