“outstanding boutique hotel in Hanoi's Old Quarter”

Oriental Central Hotel
Ranked #19 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel sets the standard by which to judge all others. We booked a 7 day/6 night package including Halong Bay and Sapa and it was thanks to this hotel's outstanding management team that this week was such a joyous experience. We booked directly through the hotel and was impressed with the speed and efficiency with which queries were answered including an itinerary confirmation just before we left the UK. We were met at the airport and all the other travel arrangements for the Halong Bay and Sapa elements of the trip ran like clockwork, so we were not surprised to be met at 5.00 am at the railway station on our return from Sapa. The hotel is located in the heart of the old town, has every amenity you could want, and is spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good for our western tastes, which couldn't be said for other hotels on our trip through Vietnam and Cambodia. What singles this hotel out from others on our trip is the high standard of customer care and service that Brian and his team provide. Nothing is too much trouble for them; they are warm and friendly and they obviously enjoy making their guests enjoy their stay. We certainly did and would recommend this hotel unreservedly.

1  Thank Catherine K

Reviewed May 24, 2014

It was a lovely hotel and Dong do was very helpful in getting us reservations for activities and recommendations for interesting things to do. The breakfast was delicious and the service very good. Everyone was very nice.

Room Tip: Couldn't rate a pool as there was none.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CamilleM318
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've always loved the southeast Asia hospitality, but this hotel completely exceeded my expectations so much that I will not stay anywhere else in Hanoi. What you get for your buck here-wow! The overall service was fabulous, but BRIAN was amazing. I wish I could hire him for my business! He's awareness, kindness, generosity, and knowledge is beyond. You would really be crazy not to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank trsta75
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed here during one of the stops on our honeymoon, and we actually wished we'd stayed longer. Not only is Hanoi a beautiful city with lots to do, but this hotel was fantastic. Centrally located in the Old Quarter, it's accessible to most of the tourist destinations. Despite its location smack-dab in the middle of a bustling city and streets filled with motorbikes, the hotel was a quiet retreat in the middle of it all.

The staff was also fantastic. Not only did they put together elaborate bed decorations for our honeymoon, but they were extremely helpful for navigating the city. They even helped us call our next hotel to arrange airport pickup when we hadn't heard back from them!

Plus this hotel is a great value. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Kay S
Reviewed May 23, 2014

This hotel had the best customer service, hands down! When I booked it last month, it was ranked #1, so I don't know why it is #114 as I write this review. We stayed there 2 weeks ago, and they were so kind to us, upgrading our room, and getting us settled in when we arrived from an early morning flight. They even let us have breakfast! Every time we entered the hotel, someone was there to open the door for us, they greeted us, and even kept us updated on the tours we were taking. The rooms were very nice, homey feel, and comfortable beds. I would recommend the junior suite since we had a few pieces of luggage and liked the extra space. The deluxe room was a little tight with all our bags (1 or 2 small bags/suitcases would be ok). They also kindly stored our bags for us when we took a 3 day trip to Halong Bay. The location is great, walking distance to many sights, and easy walk to street vendors for dinner or lunch, the lake, puppet theatre, etc. They will also call a cab for you if needed. Would definitely recommend to friends and family!

Room Tip: Away from the street is quieter, go for the junior suite if you have big bags or like more space.
1  Thank Brandi F
Reviewed May 23, 2014

we can only echo other positive comments .the staff are the best that we have come across in all our travels.any request big or small was carried out immediately.we can highly recommend this hotel for any traveler

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve b
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I concur with the other favorable reviewers about how great this hotel is for its Old Quarter location, room comfort, air conditioning, personal service, and a delicious, generous breakfast. Those are all 5 stars. But what really set this hotel apart for us was the assistance they gave us when my husband became ill as we returned from an excursion to Halong Bay. Brian, who had already helped us find great restaurants and water puppet tickets, referred us to an international clinic, got us a taxi, and held on to our luggage. When my husband was discharged from the clinic, Brian and all the staff were very attentive, including sending up some ginger tea (a home remedy for nausea) and detailing a bell man to show me the way to the nearby pharmacy. I was comfortable leaving my husband there while I went out because the staff's English was quite good. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family, and I look forward to returning there.

2  Thank Mary J