“Good value in Hanoi”
Review of Especen Hotel

Especen Hotel
Ranked #214 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had a private room in Especen. The room and washroom were clean and the water pressure was good. The staff were generally very helpful with directions and ideas for restaurants. The airport pickup is well worth it as there are so many scams with taxis there. However, be careful with the airport drop off option. The morning of check out, the receptionist asked if I needed a taxi to the airport, so I asked them to call one for me. Then while I was waiting for the taxi, the receptionist said it was actually their car that would take me and the cost would be the same as the airport pickup. This was not what was agreed but I didn't have time to make other arangements so I paid hịm. Then all that arrived was a regular taxi, which surely would have cost less than their private car. When I asked where the private car was, the receptionist said he didn't work today. So the whole thing was a scam from the start. Overall Especen was good but I recommend being careful with their taxi services / assistance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrea416
especen, Owner at Especen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Sir,

My name is Mr. Tran Hoai Thanh, the owner of the Especen hotel.

Firstly, I would like to say sorry for your case. I had investigated immediately once received your review and found that the staff who made that trouble is a new receptionist.

Our car service to take guest from our hotel to the airport charge only $13 for a private 4 seater car or $14 for a 7 seater car. But I found that one of our new receptionists had asked you to pay $15 for a 4 seater car, it is not acceptable. I decide to dismiss him.

How much did you pay for our bad service? Could you please contact so I can send back to you!

Anyone had same trouble (if had) please e-mail to me with subject “COMPLAIN” and a scan of receipt or any proof so we will solve that problem.

Note that our car service to the airport charge only $13 for a private 4 seater car or $14 for a 7 seater car (by our car, not taxi). Please ask our receptionist from the day before to arrange.

P/S: Thanks so much for your review! All reviews are welcome, it make our service better.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is probably the best guesthouse in Hanoi, for many reasons. The location is fantastic. It's in the Old Quarter, but instead of being in the chaotic center it's in the cathedral area - still the OQ, but so much quieter and more charming. It's in a lovely little street behind the atmospheric French cathedral, in a neighborhood thats very local even though there are many backpacker guest houses. The staff is great, and they usually will give you an upgrade. I stayed here three years ago and when I returned on this trip, the staff was the same - which is a great sign of the place being run well and the management and staff getting along. They have a few buildings in the surrounding area - and three years ago I stayed at their long term building for two weeks, where they give you a better rate for staying longer. This time I am staying at another new building of theirs and the room is huge and clean with lovely big windows, and for only $20. (but I think Mr. Dow upgraded me). I have spent a lot of time in Hanoi and have stayed in a lot of guest houses and this is definitely the best!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TVM08
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had booked the room via internet when I got there I found out that in my room there was no wifi. The guy immediately offered me a much nicer and bigger room at the same price just 2 doors down in there other branch. Being aware that there are 3 hotels belonging together under the same name you will find a room that you like. They have got a variety of rooms and rates to choose from. Watch out there is a fourh hotel with the same name which is a fake.

Room Tip: I think you can negogiate the price. It's good value for budget travel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Especen hotels are gems in Ha Noi. Great value for a clean, spacious and modern room. We paid US$24/night for a double room for the two of us and enjoyed staying there very much. It had good A/C, a fridge and a private bathroom. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Good location too in the heart of the city. Highly recommended. Just watch our for the fake Especen hotel in a different area of the city above the lake.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RachelSIrwin
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have been a guest at Especen Hotel for 2.5 weeks and I can't say enough about how wonderful my experience has been. Upon checking in on my first day I was greeted by a young man by the name "Anh" who just couldn't seem to do enough for me to ensure my overall satisfaction with my room, giving a sense of "home away from home", which is crucial for anyone being far from friends and family.
The entire staff are clearly a team who care about their guests and their hotel, and it shows. Rooms are cleaned on a daily basis, fresh towels supplied, bed made and bathroom and bedroom floor swept and mopped. My room was equipped with a very comfortable Queen bed, table, chairs, TV, Wi-Fi access, hot water pot, AC and a small refrigerator..more than plenty if you're spending most of your days seeing the sights and sampling the fantastic food around town.
Rooms are very reasonably priced, the top floor rooms (there are 5 floors in the main building) are of course going to be quieter than the rooms located on the lower levels. I prefer to pay a couple dollars extra for a top floor room for the added quiet, but even the bottom rooms aren't too noisy, since the hotel locations are located down a side street alley.
Comnveniently located, The Especen Hotel staff provides ample information regarding the surrounding areas of what to do, places to go, and restaurants to try. Incorporating a staff of about a dozen highly accomodating and knowlegable workers, (special accolades to "Dao" and "Thao" for their expertise)..The Especen Hotel is your best choice for a clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay within the Old Quarter...elsewhere and you might wish you chose Especen, definitely worth it, check it out!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Raef L
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Unfortunately I think this is yet another example of a hotel that knows they're a Lonely Planet "our pick". This means the prices our around $8 more than quoted.

Our double room was what you'd expect for this sort of budget hotel. It had all the ameneties such as a fridge, kettle, flat screen tv with cable, aircon, hairdryer etc... The shower wasn't weak, and was always warm. However the sound-proofing is somewhat questionable, especially when you're woken up at 6am by Vietnamese people shouting up and down the staircase and playing music. For that reason, I'd suggest to find somewhere a bit quieter.

On the plus side, it had a good location, 5 mins from Hoan Kiem Lake, with plenty of places to eat and drink, however was far enough away from the hustle to be quiet. One receptionist (between the 3 properties) speaks English and was helpful in organising a bus for us.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank nickingtons
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We paid 24 US for one of the bigger rooms and it was more than impressive. Away from any busy street but still only 10 min walk to backpacker district in old quarter. Bathroom and room very clean and the staff were more than helpful with anything we needed. Highly recommend if you are on a budget trip.

• Stayed: June 2012