“Totally worth it. One of the best western meals in Hanoi.”

the Moose & Roo Pub & Grill
Ranked #40 of 2,258 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: European, Australian, International, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
SouthEast Asia
“Totally worth it. One of the best western meals in Hanoi.”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you're aching for some classic pub food, and you're not on a shoestring budget, I highly recommend eating at the Moose and Roo. They did not disappoint.

Lively, pub-atmosphere with a mix of expats and travelers, mid-90's MTV era music, and super friendly staff.

I ordered the Beef & Bone Marrow burger - you can add cheese (cheddar / feta) and bacon (which was well worth the extra charge). The burger itself was absolutely delicious - really savory, well-seasoned, cooked perfectly! I will say that the burger bun was slightly chewier than it should've been, but it didn't spoil my meal. The taste was still there. French fries were served with homemade ketchup - very tasty.

I HIGHLY recommend the Marou chocolate fondant. Everything is right about this dessert. The caramelized bananas, the New Zealand vanilla ice cream, and the perfectly cooked fondant worked harmoniously together - I was so full after my burger, but I had no problem polishing off this dessert. It was so, so good.

As many reviews have indicated, the food isn't 'cheap' by any means; however, I didn't feel it was overpriced considering the imported ingredients and quality / skill in preparation. The Starters are around 150k ($8), while the Mains start around 190k-250k ($10-$15). After my meal, I felt it was well worth it.

That said, alcohol is definitely on the pricier side - especially the imported beers / ciders. My glass of white wine was 180 ($9), and though good, I doubt it was 1/3 of a bottle, as advertised.

I will definitely be returning here the next time I'm in Hanoi!

• Visited May 2014
KeithThibert, Owner at the Moose & Roo Pub & Grill, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your nice review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed everything so much and that your dessert was a pleasant ending to your meal. Maybe just splitting hairs here but we advertise and offer a 1/4 bottle pour not a 1/3 bottle pour which i think is still a very generous pour compared to most. Still happy to hear you enjoyed your visit

• Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London
“Really pleasant bar”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

A very different bar for the area. Very nicely presented, attentive staff, good levels of English and a wide selection of drinks from across the world. This is a mix between a posh hotel bar and a gastro pub/sports bar.

What it does, it does very well, beer was priced at 40,000 upwards for European brands, which is very reasonable for the setting/service.

Most menu items are between 100,000 and 200,000 dong and are similar to what you'd find in a London gastro pub. Menu offers quite a good range also.

Not sure what has happened with the other TA reviews but they don't represent this place. Burgers are around £5, you'd pay about £12 in the UK for a similar offering.

It's no smoking inside, but a couple of outside tables are available. There are two big AC units which made for a pleasant environment away from the heat outside.

I'll be back next time I'm in Hanoi for the Aussie Pie, Mash and Gravy.

1 Thank IGavinAnks
Thanks a lot for such a nice review, we always enjoy hearing when we are hitting the marks we set for ourselves. Glad to hear you are getting what we are trying to accomplish in Hanoi. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future so you can try one of our more popular dishes the Aussie pie.
Perth, Australia
“Fab food in Hanoi”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We ate at the Moose and Roo tonight after reading reviews on Trip advisor and it didn't disappoint us. Great pub style food and the staff are excellent, very friendly and welcoming. Try the pulled pork sandwich if you are longing for some western food. It would be a great hangover cure if you spent too much time on beer corner! We will definitely eat there again whilst in Hanoi.

• Visited May 2014
Glad to hear we didn't disappoint. The service is something we are very proud of so thanks for that as well. The pulled pork is certainly a great hang over cure and I can comment on this from experience, looking forward to seeing you agian

“Pulled Pork Heaven”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Okay so for a Vietnam meal it is a bit on the pricey side but TOTALLY worth it. Had the pulled pork and the poutine. As Canadian's who have had true Montreal poutine, it was good but not quite like home; the pulled pork however rocked! The atmosphere is fabulous, the staff is very attentive and speak excellent English and there were sports to watch on the TV. The staff was so nice that as we were leaving, it was pouring rain and they offered to get us a taxi so we didn't get wet, when we said that was okay, they offered to get us rain coats - very very considerate. So even though the price of food was more like North American prices, the excellent food and awesome service definitely make this place a must.

• Visited May 2014
Glad to hear we provided you with an enjoyable evening. Yeah, the poutine isn't exactly what you would get back in Canada but it's impossible to get proper squeaky cheese here.....believe me I have looked (for selfish reasons) but the gravy is pretty spot on. We are thrilled to hear the staff went above and beyond to make the end of your night.

Los Angeles, California
“BEST WESTERN FOOD IN HANOI”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I'm from the Los Angeles area where food is diverse and excellent and was craving good, fresh, high quality Western-type food in Hanoi. I tried several spots near my hotel including the #1 rated restaurant in Hanoi according to TripAdvisor, which was just OK. Someone recommended the Moose & Roo pub and I am delighted I went to the restaurant. The food was absolutely the best I had in Hanoi period- and certainly the only Western food that was actually fresh and really high quality. It was so, so comforting to have really good food after days of eating only street food. I happened to meet the owner while there, and he was really interesting to talk to and obviously cared a lot about the quality of the food being served. The staff was excellent as well. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited May 2014
That is a very flattering title to a great review, thank you. We are happy to hear we lived up to our reputation. Thanks also for the personal compliment it's always nice to hear.