“Excellent restaurant in Hanoi, delicious food and superb service”
Review of Little Black Duck - CLOSED

Little Black Duck
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Little Black Duck(LBD) is a restaurant and cafe with house special Duck Dishes, it authentic Vietnamese taste and international choices.We are providing Westerners and tourists with traditional tastes of Vietnam as well as International food to give you more choices. You might be enjoying real Vietnamese fresh, healthy dishes or international type of cooking or even some of the dishes that you have back home that you may be missing.For Vietnamese people, you can have your own Vietnamese food served in a nice, clean and modern restaurant or you might try the international food to see what it is like or to know more of other cultures in the world through their cuisine.With a young, dynamic team, Little Black Duck aims to always bring you friendly and helpful service with good tasting food at a reasonable price.Give us a chance to show you what we have here!
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I promised to myself after our visit in January this year (it only took a few months...) that I had to write a short review about this place, which I don't do very often.

The food was absolutely superb, well priced (please do not expect street-food prices...this is a nice, clean, restaurant) and the service delightful. Amongst the very delicious dishes we had, the highlight has to be the 'pork in a clay pot'...please do yourself a favour and try it. It was moist, tender and ever so incredibly coconuty (if that's even a word)...we also tried the lime & coconut lassie and it was delicious and refreshing. I even asked for the recipe and they were ever so kind to give it to me so I could make it back at home.

Nothing is too much trouble and the service is eager to speak with tourists but never a burden.

I'll finish my review by saying that we went twice (in *HANOI* where's there's great food everywhere) and we decided we'll eat there our last meal of the trip. Enough said!

5  Thank cpich
There are newer reviews for Little Black Duck

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I research 'Little Black Duck' before arriving in Vietnam and it is as good as all the reviews promise. We went passed the restaurant during the day and spoke to Hong,the owner, who is an absolute delight, very passionate and dedicated about serving you a fusion of Vietnamese and Western inspired food. We had the battered crispy duck and a pork dish both outstanding. This is a must do in Hanoi.

1  Thank Connydavis
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Absolutely delicious food - my boyfriend and I both had duck dishes and they were amazing!

The level of service was also incredible - so attentive and helpful, offering advice on our choices.

Perfect balance of tasty authentic Vietnamese flavours with a high end restaurant atmosphere / service. All at a great price too! Thanks LBD!!

1  Thank Maria G
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I feel the same way about Little Black Duck as I feel about Gecko - it is perfectly good food, good value for money and excellent, friendly service. But it is just too europeanised. Would love to have it here in Amsterdam, but in Hanoi I wanted something a bit more typical for Vietnam. If you want to ease into Asian food with European standards though - this is a place for you!

1  Thank PolishAmsterdammer
HongHoang, Owner at Little Black Duck, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

The “typical Vietnamese” that you mention is probably about the food as you said “it is perfectly good”, but you then rate our food as 3-star? I would say when you say “typical” you must have a different understanding of Vietnamese cuisine.

But to me as a native Vietnamese and growing up in Vietnam and influenced by the Vietnamese food (cuisine) and as I have worked for years in hospitality and the restaurant industry, I would have to disagree with you. And “typical Vietnamese” can be different between areas in Vietnam (it is not all the same I mean)

Unless you are saying we don’t serve you on a small plastic chair and on the roadside then yes it is true (in which case it is about hygiene and the Vietnamese style).

Little Black Duck is a proudly owned and operated Vietnamese restaurant using fresh local produce and well-trained local staff to serve guests in a clean and comfortable environment with a range of authentic Vietnamese and a small corner of international food prepared by a qualified and experienced chef.

If that is being “too Europeanised”, then we make no apology for our high standards.

However, thank you for your comment about our good food and service. Hope you enjoy your trip in Vietnam.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked for a dinner here, read there was a balcony on the roof that sounded great: on arrival we asked about it, due to high probability of rain we thought to stay indoors but decided against it, up up up we went: quite a few flights of stairs. Worth the climb, had the whole balcony to our selves.

Service, dinner, atmosphere was top notch. Highly recommend the piña colada: and go for the duck in tamarind: you won't regret it.

One of my Favourite meals in Hanoi and memorable.

1  Thank gemine b