“Snakes Alive!!”

The Hung Snake Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 3,782 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hung is one of the oldest restaurant in Le Mat snake village . The restaurant is mostly made by wood, eight roofs with ancient features by the famous sculptor. The family-restaurant model is warm, friendly, intimate and hospitable. The profession of catching, breeding and processing snakes have been preserved many generations. Coming here, visitors will enjoy many kinds of snake. Play with non-toxic bamboo snake, eat 11 snake dishes with free drinks. Our slogan is HAPPINESS FIRST - MONEY SECOND so our commitment is IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY - FREE OF CHARGE. We welcome all of you! Thank you! Dragon (Mr), the owner
Reviewed August 3, 2016 via mobile

I did a bit of research and decided that this was the best place to take the family for their first taste of snake. The place doesn't look much from the outside but don't let that fool you. The 11 dishes served up were all deliciously tasty and accompanied by wine and beer, all inclusive in the price. Our host, Huy, and his family are to be complimented on the quality of food and service.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank SydneyVietman
Write a reviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

Not too hard to find, one of the most welcoming places I've been to in Hanoi. My friend was really keen to eat Snake and this was the exact experience he and I were looking for. Cost around 50 pound for two people, and we went for the larger deal where you can have snake shots with a snake heart in rice wine. 11 dishes of different ways of using snake, really tasty and very filling. The Snake spring rolls were next level. One of the best things I've done in the 8 days of being in Hanoi. The village is worth exploring afterwards too, you see a lot of the real Hanoi here, as there is hardly any tourism attractions.

Date of visit: August 2016
2  Thank James B
Reviewed July 27, 2016 via mobile

Such an amazing dinner experience! Went there solo during my two days in Hanoi and it was probably my favorite thing I did there.

Got to hold up the bamboo snake I purchased for $30 USD and watch them kill it. Then drank the beating heart, blood and vile (gross, but can't miss). The owner sat with me almost the entire meal to introduce every dish, the proper way to eat it, etc. Also generously poured me as many shots of Snake Head Wine as I desired.

This place is family-run and the real deal. Could not recommend it more!

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Yoav Z
Reviewed July 18, 2016

It's about 10 minutes away from old quarter = +/- 150.000 vnd or 6/7 euros in taxi. There are no other place in Vietnam than in this village where you can eat snake because they are the only ones to have the authorization to kill snakes.
In this village, there are about 2.000 hunters (700 full time and 1.300 part time) and 12 snake restaurants.
In Vietnam, one can hunt several types of snakes but only four will be served here because some don't have enough flesh or aren't good to eat.
So, the 4 possibilities are :
The bamboo snake : $ 40/kg
The mountain cobra : $ 60/kg
The cobra : $ 70/kg
The king cobra : $ 80/kg

Bamboo snakes have a weight going from 1.2 to 1.6 kg. Since we were the 4 of us, it would have been tempting to have 2 of these but the owner said to us that they aren't as good as the other ones. Thus, we decided to follow his advice and didn't take this one in consideration.
Consequently, we had to make a choice between the 3 other ones.
We chose the cobra.
When he came back, he said that it was difficult to catch tonight but proposed us the royal cobra instead. Was it the truth or was he willing to sell his royal cobra? We will never know but the difference in price was only of $ 10 per kilo.
So, as it would probably be the only time in our lives that we would eat snake, we agreed.
During the dinner, the owner, who sits the whole time at our table, which we appreciated since we had many questions, said to us that they catch a bambo snakes every 2 days in average, one mountain cobra every 3 to 4 days, a cobra every 5 or 6 days and a king cobra...? One every 3 months!
He used to sell it at $110 to $120/kg but he couldn't sell it because of the price.
For Vietnamese, eating snake is reserved to rich people and/or for special occasions.
He showed us another table where Vietnamese were eating. He told me that these were rich people but they were eating only the bamboo snakes...
So, as the name says, we felt like kings and very fortunate to try this king cobra for our very first time.
The king cobra we had agreed to eat was about 2.8 to 2.9 kilos and he said that it would consider a final weight of 2.8. At the end, it was about $60 per person.
It's an expansive dinner if you compare it to local standards but things are not comparable. Here, you are eating something unique. Probably, the only time in most people lives and it will be a night you won't forget.
My youngest son (15) was not willing to come at first but when we were flying home, he said to us that it had been his best souvenir in Vietnam!
Partly also because he had had his first shots I think.
Note that beverages are included (beers, water and a glass a snake wine).
By the way, I don't know why they say wine because it's made out of vodka.

The first part of the 'experience' is the snake show.
He lets you play and take some pictures of the bamboo snake which is blind and harmless.
Then, he presents what else he has in stock like mountain cobra or cobra.
He proposes you to take a picture of it around your neck while he is holding the head, but we have passed that part...
Then, the presentation of the king cobra. Little show with it, than comes the time of the killing and collecting of bile, blood and heart to be taken in a few minutes.
When you are considering the final price you pay, you also have to think about this show which was included.

As starter, we drank its blood and bile combined with vodka. If you close your eyes, the taste is very close to plain vodka. But the challenge is to beat your brain and mental resistance.
After that, I was wondering who would dare to eat the tiny heart. Suprisingly, my 3 sons were willing it and it was hard to decide who would have it. One accepted to pass and we cut the little heart in 2. I don't know if they considered it as good but they were happy for this extra experience.

Shortly after, all the snake dishes came at once with some vegetables.
What can I say about the taste?
One or two weren't so great but for the rest, it goes from ok to good. So, you are not hungry when you leave.
An excellent experience/price ratio

By the way, if you are adventurous like us, I suggest you to try bugs because it's not so easy to find in Europe. The 4 of us, appreciated the experience and the taste of these insects. We have been to Quan Kien restaurant, 10 minutes away from old quarter in taxi.

Insects and snake eating were 2 of our best souvenirs in Vietnam!
Go for it before it's too late. Maybe in the future, you might regret not having tried.
Too bad, we didn't try the dog ;-)

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank berver65
Reviewed July 18, 2016

You will like the hung Snake, Everybody is friendly and you feel quite at ease in this restaurant. You can chose the snake and it's very wild and agressive.
And now the feast begin. You will eat all the snake. Some parts are more a ritual, like drinking the blood or the bile. But most of the snake is very good tasting. We were only two and we almost ate a 1.3 kg cobra. The meat is very good and all the dishes are well-made (7 or 8 dishes).
And after a few unforgettable hours, you will feel very well indeed.

Date of visit: June 2016