“Good value in Hanoi” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #353 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore, Singapore
“Good value in Hanoi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Our favourite hotel in Hanoi is the Sofitel Metropole, but it costs $$$. The Army Hotel was part of our itinerary on a group adventure. It's almost equally well located, costs much less and provides everything necessary for a couple of days' visit to Hanoi.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side can be noisy, so best avoided.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Yes, Army Hotel may need some renovation but being in Hanoi one rally needs a quite place in green surrounding. The staff is professional without choking you with hospitality. No tours to sell!
We had two rooms on the ground floor facing the pool. What we liked most at the Army that we were left alone and yet we have got very good answers for our questions about different places in the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Krystyna K
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom suite with our 3 kids. The room was clean and spacious, with two balconies overlooking the pool. The beds were very hard, but we found this everywhere we travelled in Vietnam!
The furniture was all dark wood, which made the place quite gloomy. Also the shower water flowed out onto the floor and down the floor drain which was a bit annoying. But those are the only real problems we had with the place- other than getting our laundry done by the hotel. This was our first hotel in Vietnam, and we weren't yet wise to taking the laundry anywhere other than the hotel. As a result we paid a disturbingly high cost- lesson learnt!
The pool was pretty nice, the kids enjoyed their swim even though it was quite cool. The surrounding gardens are a nice, quiet place to relax.
The included breakfast was good, as was the free wifi.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Md.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

This place would be okay if they aired it out, got decent, reliable wifi, and came down on the price by $15. We were charged $50 for single rooms (although the bed was nice and large). The first room (ground floor) they tried to put me in smelled like cat pee. i guess it's that it is moldy and not aired out well. The second room was better but not much. My colleague and I had to get up early, and it was kind of late already when we arrived from airport, so we stayed until Sat when we changed hotels. There was no place to put the suitcase so I pulled two chairs together to balance it on the flat arms. I asked about a stand for my suitcase and they said they would talk to housekeeping (nothing happened) and about leaving some laundry -- they assured me it would be picked up out of the basket (which had a used, kleenex wadded up in it). When I came back from working that evening they were still in the basket. I tried to get wifi but it came and went. I opened the front door and the back door to try to air out and cool off the room. There is a nice little patio outside my room (with a back door to reach it) where I sat outside in the evening and a pool. The tub side is so high I had to sit on the edge and swing my legs over to climb in to take a shower. even my younger colleague said it was too high and the edges inside too narrow/slippery to stand safely. Breakfast not too great, no pho, and egg dish too salty. They do have cartons of (sweetened) yogurt. We switched hotels the next day and came to LUcky 2 where my colleague was happy to be closer to shopping. Lucky 2 cost only around $33 compared to Army at $50 USD.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Davao, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Stayed for six nights last week and found the location great as it was near the Lake. Room was adequate but clean. Free wifi was a plus!

There was a pool but I didn't dare take dip because of cold weather, though. I failed to bring a jacket as I didn't know Hanoi could be so cold. Good thing there were shops around selling winter jackets at very affordable price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We booked the Army Hotel because it had an outdoor pool (although we never used it in the end due to the terribly cold weather!). The room was clean, fairly basic but had a TV with a good choice of channels and free wifi. The breakfast was fine and if anything had run out, we only had to ask the staff and it was replenished within seconds. They cook eggs to order as well. The hotel is in a quiet location but easy 15 minute walk to the Old Quarter which we were glad we hadn't stayed in as it was pretty mental! My only criticism would be the very expensive laundry service - go down the road instead. I would definitely stay in the Army Hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nikki H
Voorburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

This middle class hotel has a big garden with huge trees and a swimming pool, which is rare in Hanoi. It is my favorite for years. The rooms are fine, although a bit old. In summer during the local school holidays the swimming pool gets very crowded and insufficient chlorine is used for hygiene. In autumn and spring the pool is pleasant. In winter it is too cold to swim. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is okay. It is owned by the army and run by the military. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is okay. For the Dutch: er is bruinbrood en goudse kaas. I recommend this hotel for this price category.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business