All reviewsold quarterhalong bayside streetsmall alleyhoan kiem lakehotel is locatedthe hotel staffwater puppet showsister hotelvisiting hanoiclean hotelnight marketairport pickheartvietnamsapataxi
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Currently staying at the calypso legend and it is the best we would expect it Hanoi - clean, friendly, rooms are as big as needed. The staff try and pedal Halong Bay tours, but you can't turn a corner in Hanoi without that happening...they are very friendly and helpful besides that and have given us good advice so far. Hotel in a great location. Unfortunately there has been a lengthy power cut, but the whole street went out and this seems to be a regular problem in the city. Only slight negative is that in the bathroom you can hear the people in the room upstairs, but somehow this isn't a problem in the room. All in all - you would pay well over £100 a night for a hotel of this quality in the uk.

Room Tip: According to the staff the rooms on the higher floors are they best...no evidence as to whether this really was the case though, we didn't see the lower rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Spiderling2013
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Pros: Cleanliness and decor, friendliness of staff, right in the middle of the old quarter conveniently located near most attractions/restaurants

Cons: Nothing, once you get used to the look of the Old Quarter

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Before choosing the Hanoi Hotel, I browsed through Tripadvisor Review and decided on Calypso Suites Hotel. Reviews were accurate and I am glad I had made the smart choice of choosing Calypso. The location was good, hotel room super comfy and clean, staff was extremely friendly and helpful & the breakfast they served was of 5 star quality. The staff was all out to help us. eg when my hubby's Teva slipper's sole (one side) dropped off, they helped us to get it repaired within an hour, free of charge. They said the amount was too small for us to pay them:).
We booked all our packages like Alova Green Halong Bay Cruise and SAPA trips via the Hotel. We were satisfied with the tour packages arranged by them. Their staff sent us off to Railway station and received us back from railway station too on our SAPA trip. Thanks, Kevin & Crews.

Room Tip: Suites room is more spacious, has good street view and has bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had booked rooms at the Calypso Grand hotel for two nights before, and two nights after, our Halong Bay cruise. When we arrived, we were given welcome drinks and some useful tourist info, but then the manager asked if we would move to the Calypso Legend for the first two nights as other guests had unexpectedly extended their stay. That was fine, I'd seen both hotels on their website and both looked great - which they were.

The Legend is in a lane close to Hoan Kiem Lake, right in the middle of the old quarter which was great for sightseeing. Our room was comfortable, quiet and spotlessly clean. Free WiFi worked perfectly, we used our own laptop but there was a computer in our room. Breakfast was great - a selection of cereal, fruits, yoghurt, fresh breads, pastries and spring rolls, plus plenty of choices (Vietnamese and western) cooked to order. There was even a toaster-oven to heat up the breads and pastries!

We loved the hotel generally, but the staff were amazing. They checked regularly to make sure we had everything we needed, they offered excellent advice on where to go and what to do, they confirmed our tour and next hotel, and they always had time to smile and talk. If I could, I would rate their service as a 6, not 5. I wish more hotels were like this one.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank setenaj
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay, and was very impressed. This was my first experience of staying in a boutique hotel, i am cabin crew (flight attendant) with an international airline based in the Middle East, so for the past 7 years ive been travelling the world and pratically living in hotels such as like the hilton, marriott etc. The service at the Calypso was fantastic and had such a personal touch. I received an email shotly after booking from Mr Kevin who was able to arrange airport transfers in advance of my arrival. I arrived at the hotel 4 hours prior to standard check in time, however, was given my room straight away. Before travelling i had organised a trip to Ha Long bay through a website online, when i arrived at the hotel Mr Kevin informed me he would be able to do the same trip but for 70 us dollars cheaper! luckily i was able to cancel my online reservation and book through the hotel. Upon arrival a welcome drink was provided and full details of what sightseeing is available. As i had not taken a laptop with me i was provided with one to take to my room and use at no extra cost. The rooms were very clean with tasteful decor,a complimentary plate of fruits were provided in my room each day. As the hotel is down a side street there was no street noise whatsoever. All the staff were very friendly and always smiling...Best service i have ever received and would definately reccomend staying here

Room Tip: book a superior room on a higher floor so that you have a view of the city
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo