“Museum of Ethnology”

Ranked #10 of 284 things to do in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Vietnam Museum of Ethnology is a unit under Vietnam Academy of Scocial Sciences. Vietnam Museum of Ethnology is both a research centre and a public museum exhibiting the ethnic groups of Vietnam. The mission of the Museum is scientific research, collection, documentation, conservation, exhibition and preserving the cultural and historic patrimony of the nation's different ethnic groups. The museum also serves to guide research, conservation, and technology that are specific to the work of an ethnographic museum.
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The museum was filled with photos, artifacts and information about the different tribes that exist in Vietnam. This was especially informative before visiting Sapa and hiking through the different villages. The houses outside were fascinating. There is no AC throughout the museum, it was sooooo hot, but they give you free coffee with 2 admission tickets, which was nice!

There are newer reviews for Vietnam Museum of Ethnology

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Although I do not normally make it a point of visiting many museums I would highly recommend this one. It shows clearly the different ethnic groups that make up Vietnam. It has many authentic displays indoors and beautiful original ethnic houses in the gardens outside. Definitely worthwhile for £1.20 (40,000 dong) entrance fee. It explains the rich diversity of the different tribes in Vietnam really well.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Vietnam Museum of Ethnology (Vietnamese name is Bao Tang Dan Toc Hoc) is a great place that attracts both children and adults. I loved everything about this museum from its rich materials, well displayed exhibits (inside and especially outside), to the tour guide. The three things that the museum could improve are: 1) the air conditioner or at least fan system: There was air conditioner only at the reception hall and there were few fans here and there around the museum. In the summer, it was a torture for both children and adults, especially the children. They couldn't stand the heat, the sweating and thus they couldn't really enjoy the great exhibits or learn much about Vietnamese people and cultures; 2) the discovery room's location and hour: Although the museum opened from 8:30am to 5:30pm, the discovery room closed between 11:30am to 1:30pm and it wasn't officially noticed on the museum's website, door, or brochure. If we had known, we could have planed to visit at the more proper time so the kids could explore the room and had some hand-on experiences. My kids were very excited to go to the discovery room to work on paintings, ceramic, etc. only to learn that it was closed. In addition, the room was on the attic of the museum. You had to climb a very narrow and dark stair way to get to it. In my opinion, the discovery room is as important as any other part of the museum, it should be placed at a better location, not such remote place. Possibly, the discovery room is the best part of the museum to the children. It was such a disappointment here; 3) The stairway: There wasn't any elevator or escalator in the museum. Therefore, it was impossible for the disabled to visit the museum's second floor and it was difficult for families with small children. We visited the museum without the kids' dad so when we climbed up the stairway. I had to make the kids go first and follow them with whole bunch of bags and stroller while still have to looking after them. It was the same thing climbing down, only I had to go first this time with baggage and made the kids follow so that I could probably catch them if they fell.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I've been here 2 times. This museum is ideal place to learn about 54 Vietnamese groups, their cultures, lifestyles and architectures. The collections of traditional dresses, stilt houses always amuse me. This is an interesting place for kids where they can play in stilts houses and large ground (we've been chosen the museum for the trip of 50 kids)

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Okay, I made it through the outdoor exhibits without falling. Success? No. Once it began raining, my husband and I decided to eat lunch in the Bagette & chocolat. Big mistake. We weren't greeted, so sat ourselves. I found the chair that broke under my weight. We were then ignored for about ten minutes until asked to move. When we moved two men took our places and were served immediately. We were then ignited again for about 15 minutes until I retrieved wait staff who took our order and then did not take it to the kitchen but instead began helping a table of eight who strived long after we did. Weird. We left without eating.