“Great people, great location, great place”

Splendid Star Boutique Hotel
Ranked #50 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great people, great location, great place”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

There are many places to stay in Hanoi, but I'm grateful I found Daisy and the SS Boutique. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, the breakfast is great and more than you can eat as you can choose anything you want as much as you want. The location is close to the Cathedral, and I found it super convenient and a great marker when I got lost.

What made my stay stand out was the staff. Before I left for my trip, I started communication with Daisy and other hotels about bookings for tours. Daisy stood out by always responding promptly, answering all my questions and being very honest about expectations. Her prices were also cheaper than the other quotes. I stayed at their hotel, and every need was promptly taken care of. I even came back sick from Halong Bay with a terrible cold, and Daisy took me to the pharmacy for medicine. She also took me to a shop to look for a jacket prior to the trip. It was like having my own Girl Friday.

Simon was another member of the staff who stood out. Always concerned about my comfort, he asked me if I needed anything, tea or whatever, every time he saw me. Both of them very personal and friendly, and they always greeted me joyfully.

Always attentive, enthusiastic to help and clearly enjoying their interactions with tourists, why look anywhere else? Just stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have been staying in Hanoi for a day for city seeing. I have pre-booked a return airport pick up at a price a bit higher than the taxi fare as found in the forums, but this save my time in bargaining and worrying if the driver would find a distant route for higher charges, and thus waste of money and time.

I arrived the hotel at about 11am, The hotel is located close to the cathedral so you can easily find your way back to hotel. The door is not large, but the same as most Hanoi hotels.

a very handsome and great english-speaking hotel staff (His name is "Thuan" if I am right) welcome us, you know, it is difficult to have good english speaking people in Vietnam. He invited us to the hotel restaurant and served us with some fruits and tea. Unexpectedly, he told us that although the check in time is 12pm, the room is now ready for us.Besides, he gave us some good advices for walking around Hanoi.

He brought us to the room which is big though the furniture is a bit old. At least it makes me feel comfort. However, I am a bit picky for sleeping. The beddings are a bit "damp" that make me can't sleep well. There are also some ants on the tea table that make me deduct the marks.

On the next date that we check out, we go to the restaruant for breakfast. It has a big menu for breakfast, including both western and vietnam breakfast. We choose the vietnam rice noodle (Pho), that is good!

But overall speaking, if you wish to stay in Hanoi, this is one of your good choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowser, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

From the time we arrived until the time we checked out splendid Star staff took care of our every need!

The room was perfect size for my wife, daughter and I. We were on the fifth floor and unable to hear any of the street noise happening outside.

The provided breakfast was adequate and took place in a small room with only two tables. It was nice as it allowed our family to interact with people from other countries.

The hotel is located perfectly in the old quarter and close to almost all the major must see things in Hanoi.

I want to give a special token of appreciation to Simon! His customer service skills made us feel if we were a part of his extended family. Simon was so attentive and wanted to ensure that our short time in Hanoi would be memorable. Simon is an asset to the Splendid Star family of hotels...

Room Tip: Definately a place to highly consider when visiting Hanoi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 4, 2014

In total we stayed nine nights at the hotel but did some overnight trips to other locations while we were there.
The rooms are spacious, very clean and also the bathroom facilities are very good. There is nothing to complain! There is even some fresh complimentary fruits in the room. Furthermore, the staff is very friendly and helpful. If you have questions or need tips they are there to help you out. The breakfast is good and freshly made and everybody should be able to find something from the menu. It ranges from western breakfast to typical Vietnamese food.
The location is perfect with just a short distance to the Hoan Kiem lake. It is also perfect to start a stroll around the city.
We can definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here twice, before and after a trip to Sapa, and it was great both times. First, the location is excellent, in a really nice part of town (near the cathedral) with really nice cafes & restaurants, and short walk to Hoan Kiem lake and the old quarter.

The next biggest plus was the friendliness, helpfulness and efficiency of the staff. We emailed them in advance of our first stay to enquire about early check in, as we would be arriving very early in the morning off night trains and wanted to avoid some bad experiences with this in the past (wondering around half asleep for hours until able to check in). They were very honest in explaining that we could risk it and get early check in for free if a guest happened to be checking out early, or pay 25 USD to guarantee it. Given that it was a small hotel and we didn't want to risk it, we choose the latter and were so glad we did; it was so nice to walk straight off the night train before dawn, be greeted by name and whisked straight to your room to sleep! The manager, who we had been emailing, also made a point of finding us at breakfast to welcome us to the hotel.

The rooms themselves were very spacious, modern, clean and very comfortable, with a great bathroom with rain shower, and all the facilities you would expect (and as quoted on the booking) which were very satisfactory. We slept very well as it was very cosy and quiet. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice and all made to order.

I think this place is really good value for a truly boutique hotel right in the heart of this fantastic city, and the staff ensured that we really enjoyed our stay. We would definitely stay here again if we came back to Hanoi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hulhumale Maldives
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Arrived around midnight and was a bit apprehensive at first as the lane was dark and a bit erie and were pleasantly greeted by Simone who set us at ease with a nice smile and cup of tea. Went to an inviting large room tastefully decorated. They had swan towels on our bed with rose petals :) Nice touch. Woke to the smells of fresh baked bread enticing us to the dining room for a nice a la carte breakfast instead of a semi warm buffet that most hotels offer. Daisy greeted us at breakfast and helped to arrange our adventure to Halong Bay. They kept our excess luggage while we were on the boat excursion and we were welcomed back on our return to Hanoi. This hotel is a great location, close to the lake and all the shops of the city core yet far enough away from the beep beep!! All the staff were a delight and made us feel like family. We recommend this hotel to everyone and we will return on our next trip to Hanoi. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: The 5th floor facing the street was a nice room. Up high enough so as not to hear the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DarlingK767
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 22, 2014

As soon as you walk into this hotel it is just stunning! The staff are very attentive and immediately offer refreshments and take your bags to your room. The room is beautifully decorated and both the bed and room are spacious. It was a very clean hotel, and the bathroom facilities were excellent. Throughout my stay there, staff were very helpful, and interested in how my day had been etc. which was really nice. It is very easy to get to the lake from here and to get to markets and the staff will call your taxi, see you to it and direct the driver to where you needed to go. They would go above and beyond to ensure comfort. I would definitely return here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple