“Comfortable newish small old town hotel”
Review of Maison d'Orient

Maison d'Orient
Ranked #48 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable newish small old town hotel”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed 3 nites in a twin room on the3rd floor and our sons in double rooms on the 3rd floor in this 1 year+ old hotel. Rooms are compact, comfortable, nicely ac, ours had a tiny balcony overlooking the alley. No lift but help with your bags is available. Hotel is on a quiet alley side street to another alley which is a less than 10 minute walk to the lake, 2 different water puppet theatre locations and the street maze of he old town. A nice hot and cold breakfesat was included in the rate and airport pickup and rerun was avaialable at a taxi captive rate and without the hassle. Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum and the temple of literature are nearby and worth visiting.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed at Maison d'Orient for 4 nights and really enjoyed it. It's a peaceful little oasis in the hustle and bustle of Hanoi and I found it a nice respite after a day of walking around. All the staff are absolutely lovely and very attentive (with a very professional and helpful owner who speaks fluent English and French). I stayed in the Lemongrass room (I was actually upgraded from Cinnamon, which I booked as a cheaper alternative) and found it had everything I needed - a comfy bed with quality linens, cable TV, strong wifi, plenty of hot water, reasonably priced minibar. It was also spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated.
Note the hotel, while modern, does need some maintenance. The door knob of my bathroom door was broken, so much that the door got stuck and they had to unlock with a screwdriver (luckily I wasn't inside!) The boiler also made a very loud noise after I checked in, but that was attended to quickly. All minor issues that I felt added to the charm of the place, which is as far from a sterile hotel you can get.
A definite recommendation in Hanoi.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here in January at the start of our three-week trip to Vietnam and (apart from one 5-star night on Ho Chi Minh City) it was the best hotel we stayed in. The location is ideal, the rooms are really nicely designed with an individual touch that we didn't come across anywhere else) and the staff are fantastic. The owner was incredibly helpful both in advance and during our stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed just one night at this small hotel (8 rooms I would guess) which is ideally located in the old quarter near the cathedral. Our room was simply and tastefully decorated in a traditional Vietnamese style with a large comfy bed, and spotlessly clean. We paid $40 which we were agreed is very good value for what you get: tasteful room, attentive staff, graceful and very competent owner who speaks good English, a decent breakfast, great location tucked away down an alley in the heart of the old quarter and a sense of style.
On top of that they also demonstrated devotion above and beyond the call of duty. I had collected a bag of laundry at breakfast. On checking out I was asked to check 2 other bags of laundry to see if either was ours. Believing I had collected all our laundry, I gave the others a cursory glance, and said I'd collected the laundry earlier. It was 3 days later before my wife realised a lot of her clothing was missing, including her one pair of denim sawn-off jeans - an essential weapon in any girl's armoury -destined to be worn on the beaches of Phu Quoc. A quick email enquiring if we had left laundry brought a immediate confirmation. The owner had the package in the post within hours to our new accommodation on Phu Quoc island at the other end of the country. Although the package was supposed to arrive in 2 days it took 4 (but that I attribute to the postal service), the owner remained in daily contact chasing the courier company and updating us on its present whereabouts. Due to that effort my wife was able to bedeck herself in figure hugging denim. For that reason alone I rate is hotel as outstanding

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Iandacre
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Amazing hotel with lovely staff just a short walk from the Cathedral. I would highly recommend this boutique hotel to travelers who want to stay in the old quarter. It is easily the best hotel I've stayed at in Hanoi. The hotel can arrange taxis to pick up and drop off at Hanoi Airport, and the room rate includes a delicious breakfast. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Located down a lane way in the Old Quarter (Backpacker area) of Hanoi is the Maison D'Orient Hotel. While the hotel is fine (compact, but comfortable rooms, good service and a great location), this hotel is the office of Orient Bridge Travel service. Orient Bridge (managed by Phoung) is a terrific service that I have no hesitation in recommending. All correspondence leading up to our arrival in Hanoi was handled promptly and efficiently. OBT organised everything from airport transfer, to tours, provided a great guide (Nam) and displayed excellent hospitality in taking us to lunch in Phoung's family restaurant in the French Quarter. All service was at a very reasonable price and nothing seemed to much trouble. Tours are organised for the convenience and comfort of clients (e.g. visiting attractions when tourist crowds are at a minimum). We were a group of four Australians visiting the north of Vietnam for the first time.

Wherever our next trip and adventures are, I can only hope I find a business as efficient and knowledgeable of the local area as Orient Bridge Travel.

Room Tip: If planning a Ha Long Bay trip I believe 2 days/1 night is plenty. Once you have seen one karst, you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hien26Maison, General Manager at Maison d'Orient, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
First of all, on behalf of Maison d'Orient Hotel's team, I would like to thank you for your valuable time in leaving a comment for the Maison d'Orient Hotel. It was our pleasure to welcome you in our Hotel during your trip with the Oriental Bridge Travel Company, which is having their represent office in our Hotel. Your very nice and generous feedback to their Company, I will surely notice them and pass your feedback to them. I do think they will be very happy to know that you were happy with their services.
On the other hand, I do hope the services from our Hotel, the Maison d'Orient Company, also pleased you and gave you a feeling of a cozy little hotel....
Once again, thank you so much for spending some time with us and also thanks to the Oriental Bridge Travel, who believe in our services to recommend their guests staying with us. We do hope to welcoming you again in the coming time.
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed November 8, 2013

フランスのシャープモダンな雰囲気がベトナムのノスタルジックな雰囲気に融合したプチホテル。

立地:周辺はハノイ市民のリアルな生活が感じられて面白い。外国人向けレストラン、旅行社などもすぐ近くにあります。大通りから小道に入り、最後にもう一度小道に入ったほとんど突き当りにあり、最初はすこし戸惑うかもしれません(最後の小道に入るところに看板はなく、奥を覗いてもホテルの看板が見えにくいので)。大教会から徒歩2分、ホアンキエム湖から徒歩5分です。ホテルまで車、
部屋:シナモンとレモングラス泊。どちらも窓は小さいですが、白い壁とシンプルな家具のおかげで閉塞感はありません。部屋・バスルームともに清潔でおしゃれ。必要なアメニティも揃ってます。
スタッフ:予約担当の女性、レセプショニスト全員とてもスマートで柔らかいです。個人的なリクエストも受け付けてくれました。

This is a French Modern and Vietnamese nostalgic petit hotel.

Location:You can see real Hanoian life around hotel, there are a lot of restaurants and travel agency.To get to the hotel, you take an alley from Ly quoq su Road, then you have to go on smaller allay one more time. The holel at the almost end of the allay, for the first time this location looks a little bit tricky, because it is not easy to find hotel from address and you cant fine their sighboard from the corner of the alley. 2 min-walk from Cathedral, 5min-walk from Hoan kiem lake.
Rooms:I stayed in Cinnamon and Lemongrass.Those rooms both have small window only but white walls and simply cozy furniture make the room open.Room itself, bathroom are very clean.
All necessary amenitiese are prepared.
Staffs:Reservation women[ Thu Hien ], all receptionists are very smart and kind. They welcomed my selfish requets.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends