“First rate”

Ranked #23 of 589 Hotels in Hanoi
sac. ca
“First rate”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

You won't be impressed by the lobby when you enter Meracus 2 but don't let it fool you, this is a great hotel. Excellent location, spacious rooms, comfortable beds and pillows, clean bathrooms, and most of all a very friendly helpful staff. I called very late (about 5hrs prior to arrival) to try and set up a ride to the hotel, the staff handled it flawlessly and my ride was there to meet me for the medium long trip into town. The hotel is in the "Old Quarter" which is a perfect and fun place to explore on foot, and a good starting point for other places farther away. I booked a trip on Ha Long bay prior to arriving so stayed in 2 different junior suites, one on the 4th floor and one on the 6th. The balcony was a little more open on the 6th and it was a little quieter so definitely request it. My room was large and very comfortable and a good deal compared to just about any other place I've been. The extra money for a junior suite was minimal and worth it. Wifi is free in the room, common area, and breakfast room, a little spotty sometimes but mostly reliable. Each room has free PC laptop on the desk. There's a large relatively modern bathroom with a big shower tub combination. My sink was filled with rose petals on arrival, an appreciated touch even for a guy traveling solo. Breakfast is served in a tiny but very comfortable dining room and the food is excellent especially the coffee, best I've ever had! There are roughly a million dining/drinking places, of just about every type and price range within a 3 block walk (didn't see a Mexican place though.) My only complaint about the room or hotel is its pretty noisy, which I sort of enjoy during the day, but if you're not comfortable with, or don't have, some earplugs you might have a hard time sleeping before 10pm.
The staff and service really shine and they make this hotel really stand out from just about any place I've stayed. Each person I had contact with was helpful, and friendly. Most spoke good English which made things much easier. I had to make several reservation changes and the front desk personnel made me feel like it was simple rather than complicated or incurring penalty charges. They also helped organize transportation, suggested restaurants, shops, sightseeing activities, and even suggested bargaining strategies.Thanks to Bach, Anna, Dante, Phu, especially Hermes who gave me lots of good advice, and a few others who I can't remember their names right now. Meracus 2 has a first class team.
This is the best small hotel I've ever stayed at. Agree with a previous reviewer this is tremendous value for money. It may not have all the amenities of the big hotels but unless you need a big lobby, or overpriced bars or restaurants I think Mericus beats them all. I'll definitely stay again and recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: Junior suites are a sweet deal
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Room appeared spacious (narrow but long). Excellent facilities including a laptop in each room with fast internet connection. Daily fruit basket in a room as well as fresh flowers. Very comfortable bed. Delicious breakfast (a la carte with good selection of local and international dishes). Attentive and anticipating and helpful staff at reception and restaurant, especially Hermes who is a Customer Service Manager. Overall 5-star experience!

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This small hotel was just full of pleasant surprises, from service to food to room. Best of all, it comes at a very reasonable price. Definitely beats the hell out of staying at the big hotels.
Location: excellent. In the middle of old quarters with walking access to great restaurants, lake, massage and shopping.
Food: delicious, and as much as you want. The chef obviously wants to impress. Not only delicious but also wonderfully presented.
Room: beautiful. They thought of almost everything, comes with own in room laptop and lots of flowers. Even folds your clothes for you.
Staff: passionate. Never have I seen a bunch that is so eager to serve. They serve with a smile, intent on making you smile too.
Everyone should experience it.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had an incredible stay at the Meracus 2. First I was planing to stay at the Sofitel but my boyfriend strongly suggested this hotel to save some money. I went with his suggestion despite really looking forward to staying at the Sofitel. I felt really let down and skeptical because I wasn't getting a 5 star hotel but boy I was wrong.

First off, this hotel has a fantastic location in the Old Quarter. This is both a positive and a negative since the streets are very noisy, something even the hotel's double glazing couldn't help. Our suite was on the top floor which helped. However, we weren't particularly bothered - it's Hanoi after all.

The room (junior suite) is very well decorated and spacious. There is a free daily fruit basket, still water, coffee and tea which I really enjoyed. The toilet amenities are also great and plentiful. The bed is very comfortable and we especially love the pillows!

The service is out of the world. We've stayed at 5 star hotels in various places and Meracus service is better than the majority of them. Every single staff here is VERY attentive and willing to help you in whatever you need. We really felt like being pampered. Again, for this price, who would expect this?

The team also helped us checking and booking everything with insightful information. They had good prices all around besides private car hire, which most hotels overcharge for anyway. Everyone speaks English very well.

The breakfast was very impressive and well-prepared. It's served on an a-la-carte basis (which we strongly prefer nowadays) with everything you can ask for. There's everything from Vietnamese breakfast, Indonesian, Japanese to continental and Thai. A lot to choose from an the quality was impeccable. The French toast was brilliant. Great yogurt too, which isn't always the case in Asia.

The whole hotel feels intimate, personal and friendly. Nice to see reasonable mini-bar prices for once. No one was being pushy about the tips too but I have seldom felt so inclined to tip. The boys and girls in this hotel really deserve it.

We're super impressed!!! and I'm glad I didn't go for a pricier option even though we could have.

Room Tip: Go for the suite.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is worth recommending if you at looking for a true Hanoi experience. The staff are very attentive to meet your needs and you have a full range of different type of breakfast you can choose from "all you can eat"!!! All rooms are elegantly decorated. If you would like to experience the true buzzing sound of Hanoi Old Quarter, choose a room at the front side of the building with balcony. Otherwise, choose a room at the back side is equally good if you want absolutely quiet time. I stayed in both types of rooms which provide different experience. Meracus is a very warm hotel and I will would recommend to any one who want to try a local brand.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The staff and accommodations at this hotel were superb, without qualifications. The area is somewhat quieter than other areas (although much of Hanoi's Old Quarter is a sea of honking motorbikes and cars and lacking sidewalks). It is very near a beautiful cathedral and several excellent restaurants. Coming back to the Meracus Hotel 2 after a busy day was a real pleasure, both because the staff were so excellent and attentive, but because the room as nicely appointed and very comfortable.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better. The back rooms may not have views, but they are quieter. The front...
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our Hanoi honeymoon was excellence and couldn't be better without the help of Meracus Hotel 2.

Our Hotel Stay & Staff : As part of our last-minute honeymoon on 1 March, my wife and I was almost late in trying to secure a night before our flight. Meracus 2 helped us reserved a night and kept us in communication (with address/advisory) even before our departure.

The amazing experience right when we entered the boutique hotel. The furnishing was modern and cosy. Ginger tea was served to warm us as Michael helped check us into the hotel. The staff was helpful and even brought our luggage up to our hotel without hesitation.

We departed the next day to our 2D/1N Halong Bay Cruise and came back on the 3rd. All the staff seemed to remember us by names and kept checking if we enjoyed our trip. We reserved a separate a 3D/2N accomodation of Meracus 2 stay was also promptly recorded. Anna & Hermes were helpful to make our stay and trip memorable. My wife and I were surprised and touched when we entered our suite to see it beautifully decorated with balloons, flower petals, even a cake for our honeymoon.Everyday at Meracus 2 seems to be a surprise. On the last night, we even received 2 box of traditional wedding rice cake on our bed for sweet dreams.

Other Notes: Meracus 2 is a small boutique hotel with no more than 15 rooms. While it does not have the grandeurs of space, it prides itself in the attention and service , which exceed even most 5 star hotels in any other countries I've visited. The breakfast (Ala Cart - Buffet ) serves one of the best Egg Benedict/ French Toast and also Pho Beef than anywhere else ) So order more and eat all you. can.

Location wise is amazingly convenient and near most of the attraction. It's a short walk to the old quarters, and walk able to the Hoan Kiem lake ( 5-10 min). The address is easy to find (for taxi ) and not as messy/crowded as the old quarters.

Special thanks to Michael / Anna / Hermes & the porter who went all out to help us make the whole stay so amazing. You guys have been great help to us :) Thank You !

Room Tip: The deluxe room at the 7th floor is great. With windows and more. The lift reach only the 6th floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HungMeracus, Customer Service Manager at Hanoi Meracus Hotel 2, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Our Valued Guests,

We cannot believe that you have been so impressed and a lot of thrilling compliments were written down for all the good things of our Meracus Hotel 2, and you even went to the details to praise particular staff members. On behalf of the whole team and certain people (you mentioned above), we sincerely thank you for such a priceless, kind and touching encouragement which is truly, as we know, from your heart.

Providing a consistent and high level of service is one of our top priorities and receiving comments such as yours on our service levels makes us feel proud and motivated. We are glad you left with fond memories of your time with us.
We also feel so thankful for spending your honeymoon at our hotel. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward and a such important orientation for Meracus’ enhancement, that’s why we are always listening. And our commitment to guests is making even better jobs than the best to ensure the trustful quality of services.

Again, please receive the heartfelt thanks from all the staff in our hotel. It is always a great pleasure having you with us and we look forward to your future visits for another excellent experience.

Yours in service,