“An Oasis in Hanoi”

Hanoi Meracus Hotel 2
Ranked #24 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked into Meracus 2 after being disappointed with another hotel. It was an amazing experience. So much so that we stayed here 2 more times during the week. The staff were brilliant and did so much to help us and make us feel at home. Surely the best hotel in Hanoi. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: 701 has a great view. 202 can be subject to some breakfast noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I would love to give this place a good review as it had some good little touches i.e. laptops in the room, big comfy beds etc. Unfortunately, having arranged an airport pick-up via email and reconfirmed twice, no car turned up. The phone number on booking.com was answered by a staff member who then assured me the car was 'around the corner' for over an hour before the driver finally came and proceeded to take me to the Meracus 1 Hotel in the wrong part of the Old Quarter where they checked me in without notifying me it was the wrong hotel (none of the signs indicate the 1 or 2 for the hotel) and thankfully I double-checked and was forced to leave in a taxi with a member of staff to the right hotel. Turned out the phone number was actually the wrong hotel and to make money the wrong hotel arranged a driver and wanted to book me into their hotel despite my friends waiting for me in the right hotel! After a 3 hour nightmare I obviously refused to pay for the airport pick-up service, and only had time in the hotel for a few hours, which ruined an otherwise relaxing first night in Hanoi. I planned on returning the following week, but stayed elsewhere. The decor in my room was also an incredibly gaudy gold swirled design, so I could live without experiencing that again. Hopefully one bad experience does not indicate how this hotel usually is.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank CKOReilly
HungMeracus, General Manager at Hanoi Meracus Hotel 2, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Ms. CKOReilly,

We are writing to acknowledgement of your disappointment and deeply apologize for our mistakes which ruined your first day in Hanoi and probably your whole trip to Vietnam. Truly, your review is highly appreciated for being constructive and necessary for us to know the weakness in our system for improvement, and thanks to yours, we can improve our risk management programs to prevent errors and improve the quality of services. With us your dissatisfaction is a serious problem and our biggest failure, and honestly, we did not intend to make you feel that way.

Hereby, we do not intend to excuse for our serious mistakes but just again hoping you and our distinguished understand the situation as explained in our apology email sent to you on 25June. We are regretful that your two emails providing flight details were unfortunately automatically put in Junk Email folder in our Outlook. Consequently, we had not been able to confirm your airport pickup request other than our first offering email of airport pickup. Therefore, the airport pickup had not updated in our system and our hotel staff had not been there upon your arrival.

It was our fault to not check the Junk folder carefully to make sure all guest email/requests were properly responded and updated. It was our fault to not check to make sure Meracus 2’s phone number was correctly on the booking.com web. It was also our fault that our Meracus 1’s staff had not checked with Meracus 2 before quickly sending a car to airport to pick you up although his Arrival List did not have your name on the day.

We determined responsibilities of the staffs and apply a serious warning and penalty to the involved staffs. We have also strengthened our procedures and responsibilities of each team to ensure this shall not happen again to any of our distinguished guests. We promise!

Again, on behalf the Management Board and whole staff, we sincere apologize for letting you down this time. You have truly given us a worthy lesson and pointed out weakness in our reservation system. This is also a valuable opportunity for us to change and try harder for better jobs. We thank you very much for this.

As a big hope, we wish that you will accept our apology and may give us another chance to serve you again at Meracus Hotels with higher standards of the quality and value for your next visit. Promisingly, no disappointment will happen at all when we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Thank you very much for your straightful and helpful comment, and we wish you all the best for your life!

Your in service,
Hung Truong

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Friendly staff who helped me whenever I needed it, especially went the extra mile by getting me to the bus stop I needed with an employee who was on his way home and he dropped me off which he really didn't have to do. I was upgraded to a lovely room with a balcony and was surprisingly quiet even though I was overlooking the road. Great breakfast selection and overall I had a great stay. It's worth noting that I work outside of Hanoi and have stayed in a few other places in Hanoi but this has been the nicest albeit the most expensive so far but it was worth it for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hamenator
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife, three year old son, and I stayed in the family suite, which is very spacious and sported a terrific balcony overseeing Hang Trong St. to hang out on when the little man was napping. Service was very friendly, with little extras like umbrellas readily available, and a very nice selection of Western and Asian breakfast options included. The location can't be better. People who are new to Vietnam and the natural sounds that will be there in any hotel that is not a five star hotel may want to select a room on a high floor, but we all slept great in our second floor room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HungMeracus, Customer Service Manager at Hanoi Meracus Hotel 2, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Our Valued Guests,

We warmly thank you for your review about your stay in such an enthusiastic manner and complimenting on the opulence and exquisite service you did experience. Your kind words encourage us to continue delivering the exemplary our hospitality to you and all our guests.
It was always gratifying to know that you appreciate us, made every every effort worthwhile. Your satisfaction was our greatest reward.

We promise all our guests that Meracus hotel 2 team continually seek to uphold the high standards that are reflected in the rest of the hotel.

Once again, we sincerely thank you and surely bid you a warm welcome at anytime you return to Hanoi.

Your in service

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Meracus Hotel 2 is a small hotel but has big and comfortable rooms. We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel because of the superb service from the staff. They are very attentive to their customers needs. The best value for your money. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: It the best hotel for me.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank maryann_mattus
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We only stayed for two nights (one each either side of our Halong Bay cruise) but this hotel is extremely nice, clean and the staff went out of their way to help us. (Our upgraded room was exquisite)

It is what I would call a boutique hotel, but to us they have more character than most of the larger ones.

Originally I had booked at the Meracus 1 but when we arrived they were up front and said they had made an error on the booking and had no room for us but what they did was upgrade us around the corner to the Meracus 2.
(5mins away by taxi, which they paid for)

Mistakes happen but it is how they get dealt with that counts and I cannot fault all of the Meracus staff for making sure we weren't disappointed, and we weren't.

The location is right in the middle of town so we had no problems walking everywhere.

The hotel itself is quite new and as such all rooms and fittings etc are in tip top shape.

When we go back, and we will be, I will be trying to book there again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kiwican1
HungMeracus, Customer Service Manager at Hanoi Meracus Hotel 2, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Our Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for the upbeat review of Meracus hotel 2. We really appreciate your kind sympathy for our booking system error.

Your positive review affirms our company values and the team's commitment to guests. Moreover, it is indeed a compliment to be compared favorably against the other hotels.
We are grateful for your appreciation towards the service level of our associates. At Meracus hotel 2, we endeavor to serve from the heart and exceed our customers’ expectations where we can. Our team will find it most gratifying to know that we have managed to create an enjoyable stay for you.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for our mistake and sincerely thank you for your generous comment. Please kindly visit us again should your travels bring you back to Hanoi.

Your in service,

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in total and it really is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean. There are also lots of nice touches like fresh flowers daily, fresh fruit basket daily, rose petals on the bed and a laptop with internet which is free to use throughout your stay. Upon arrival, the staff also give you a map of Hanoi and a list of things to do in Hanoi as well as some really helpful tips to help keep you safe, including how to cross the roads! :-)
The breakfast is also brilliant. Really tasty, and lots of choice. However, the element that we were most pleased with was the staff. All of the staff here are really lovely. Nothing is too much trouble, they are all extremely happy and welcoming and they really did make us feel at home in Hanoi. We were ill for a couple of days whilst in Hanoi, and the staff at this hotel were really kind, phoning us in the room to check if we needed anything and offering to bring us some food in our room when we missed breakfast.
Having read others' reviews, its clear that this hotel offers consistently high service.
It's also very good value and we would recommend it to anyone visiting Hanoi - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple