“Odd atmosphere, good food. 3.5 really.”

Porte D'Annam Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 2,393 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in front of the St Joseph Church,in center of the historical quarter, Inside with aircon, also an outside cover terrace. Come to discover a New Vietnamese cuisine with spices we also sell our special chef's blend spices, Unique in Vietnam. Lunch Menu: 168 000 vnd +/pax monday to saturday , 198 000 vnd +/pax sunday. Dinner set menu:357 000 vnd+/pax up.A la carte available All day dining 11.00 am - 10.00 pm.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked a table here for 8pm on our last night in Hannoi and were the only people in the place! We received a nice welcome, and had a beer and a cocktail whilst choosing our food. The cocktail was a gin spice and was excellent.

We had the four season fresh spring rolls to start which were delicious, the best we had in Vietnam. We also has a sea bass carpaccio which wasn't cold enough for my liking and tasted a little too fishy.

The mains - I had a beef in clay pot dish which was heavy with tamarind - nice at first but became a little too strong towards the end of the meal. My boyfriend had the fish cooked in the beer can which is their speciality; it was nice but nothing overly special despite the theatrics that came with it.

No desserts and we felt a bit odd about being the only people in the place so we left as soon as we'd finished our mains. The price was reasonable and service was attentive, if a little 'standing and watching you eat' creepy.

There are newer reviews for Porte D'Annam Restaurant

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I went here twice over my stay in Hanoi. Both times the service and food were great. The first time I had the Pho Bo and I would say it was the best I've had in Vietnam the second time I had the Spice Journey which consisted of 9 dishes over 3 courses such as king prawn soup, soft shell crab fresh spring rolls and duck and pork three ways for about $35 Australian for 2 people (try getting that in Australia for that price). The staff are very attentive and ice tea and fresh bread (still hot out of the oven) are complimentary. Very much worth a visit whilst in Hanoi.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I literally just walked backed from my hotel from this restaurant next to the Cathedral and I was very disappointed by the service and attitude of the staff here. Firstly, I would say the food is good (but not great) but you are paying a premium for a meal here even for Western Standards. Our bill for 2 ended up around $50 USD. It is the kind of food that you will be able to find in any modern city in the states, australia or europe, but why go all the way to Vietnam for a food you can get at home? Save your self the money and go to the exact same restaurant at home. Secondly, the service is atrocious; my beef kebab came out absolutely cold, bloody red in the inside of the ground beef kebab. I told the waiter and with the most intense eye-roll he took the dish back, brought it back 30 seconds later after he presumably microwaved it and served it to me. I took a bite, paid my bill and left and now I'm here.

If you are an un-adventurous rich aussie or european please be my guest and go here and spend your money. If you have any semblance of sense you would skip this place and go to the myriad of other restaurants literally in a 2 block radius of the Cathedral. Thanks for reading.

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

This is a great place with reasonable prices. The crab omelet was great. A wonderful subtle combination of flavors. My wife had farmers pork which was likewise amazing. Cooked 3 different ways and artistically presented. Creme brulé had mango in it which was an interesting touch. Service was A+. Everything was perfect.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Went there based upon all the reviews here and recommandations for my 30th birthday but we were not happy at all with the menu.

We had the degustation menu but thought it was almost like food you get in a plane!

The service was good but the food was so not what we were expecting!

cuisto35, Directeur général at Porte D'Annam Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

dear Sandrine, thank you for your review. could you send us more details about your dinner, the dishes you ate and the types of problem you find. like that we will solve all that problem. we feel little bit strange about your review cause as we open since 1 year, we get some very good direct comments, even the night you was here. thank you again and hope to see you soon for an other experience