“Porte d'Annam”

Ranked #88 of 2,443 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in front of the St Joseph Church,in center of the historical quarter, Inside with aircon, also an outside cover terrace. Come to discover a New Vietnamese cuisine with spices we also sell our special chef's blend spices, Unique in Vietnam. Lunch Menu: 168 000 vnd +/pax monday to saturday , 198 000 vnd +/pax sunday. Dinner set menu:357 000 vnd+/pax up.A la carte available All day dining 11.00 am - 10.00 pm.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I decided to try out Porte d'Annam for lunch. I ordered a beer, a salad, and fish cooked in a beer can (I understand this is one of their specialties)

The beer - Ice cold just like I like it
The salad - Perfect
The fish - The fish arrived in the beer can. The waiter commenced to pull the fish out ... it would not come out ... so a he started to pry, and jab and pry ... until finally the fish fell apart into pieces .. No harm done.. But I was disappointed in the fish .. it tasted like it was cooked in water ... little flavor

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having visited Hanoi several times we were excited to hear there was a new top restaurant, sadly it was one of the most disappointing. The location is great, atmosphere nice, and not overly expensive but in a city of fantastic flavours there was much lacking. Perhaps they are still getting on their feet but why use so little spice, herbs, sauces. Everything tasted watered down, perhaps for the tourists they mean well but it was a letdown. Staff are sweet but could use some more training as they are a bit lost.

1  Thank Mikeylikeit
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a consumer role, I have come and tried the food at Port d'Annam restaurant. The location is fantastic! Located in the most expensive and nicest area of Hanoi Old Quarter. It was a Sunday noon, I was there for lunch with my husband, I could heard the sound of the Cathedral's bell as the Church is just 20 meters away. I took a set lunch. Wow it was amazing, the presentation was so special. All the dishes presented a path of Hanoi history. The ceramic bowl, the plate, the glass...I loved very much the ideas of bringing back Hanoi sense to this modern life. The food was lovely and I couldn't finish all as the portion was very generous. The only one thing that I think the owner can do better is the lighting in the restaurant. I think it is a bit dark. Anyway, congratulations for one who owns this beautiful and tasty restaurant...All the windows in the restaurant, remind me of my grandmother's house, my grandmother's time....Hanoi long time ago....

1  Thank Hien26Maison
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been there yesterday for the first time and I was really glad, the place is very well located in a very mix of vietnamese and french culture, the staff is very friendly and the meals are very good value, affordable and tasty! A must try

2  Thank ClementGuillaume
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just arrived from Hoi An today and were looking for something a little different and special. The food here was really terrific, full of flavour and very well presented. Nibbles arrived unbidden as we were still considering our choices from the extensive menu which made us feel right at home. One of the best we have experienced in Vietnam and we'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Kathy H