Tripadvisor
Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops
Open today: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Ways to Experience Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops
More Info
All reviews long bien market sunrise tour camera settings great shots street photography photography experience photographic tour taking pictures ha giang great teacher explore hanoi photo opportunities great tour ethnic minority private tour night tour an amazing experience
Selected filters
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Once a year I take a foreign vacation mainly aimed at taking some interesting photographs. Since I'm traveling to places where I don't speak the language or know the local customs I have been hiring tour guides to maximize the experience. I always request a guide familiar with photography, but up until this year I haven't really had a guide who knew much more than how to take pictures on a smartphone. The folks at Vietnam In Focus were a completely different experience and a very welcome one. The two main photo guides, Christin and Colm, both had many years of experience in photography and arranged a tour of not only interesting places, but also aimed to get to those places when conditions were optimal for photography. Weather conditions don't always cooperate with photographers and the guides made smart changes to the itinerary to get the most out of whatever conditions nature presented us with. We accidentally ran into an amazing burial ceremony by one of Vietnam's indigenous tribes and spent an unplanned hour or so photographing it.I could not be more satisfied with my experience with Vietnam In Focus. Though I have been fooling around with photography as a hobby for several decades, I think these guides would also work well for the person who had bought themselves a fancy camera, and have no real idea how to use it. I can also highly recommend Vietnam as a destination. An amazingly beautiful place and the people could not have been friendlier.

Date of experience: August 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

Really appreciate you taking the time to post this detailed review of our central Vietnam tour. You've summed up so much of what we hope to give people when they join a tour with us, and we're so glad that you clearly enjoyed this trip. Both Colm and Cristian are passionate adventurers as well as experienced and brilliant photographers, and this makes for unique experiences. The Pa Ko burial ceremony was a great find, and the pictures we saw told a fascinating story. And yes, you're right, Vietnam is an amazing country, with wonderfully hospitable people. Thanks again for joining us and we'll hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2018

I did this tour last minute in Da Nang and was one of the best 4 am wake ups i ever did, greeted by Cristian Sorega, he was so knowledgeable and helpful, got so much love and respect for him he took my photography up a few levels and always on hand to give advise, still keep in touch with him now!

Will try the Ha Noi tour soon

Date of experience: July 2018
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Great to see your review for this tour - thanks so much for sharing it. We're very glad to hear that you enjoyed the On the Waterfront tour and that Cristian was able to help you raise your game photography-wise. All best and we'll look forward to seeing you in Hanoi!

Reviewed September 3, 2018

Boris was a fantastic guide of hanoi very well informed on hanoi and on photography. I would definitely hire boris again

Date of experience: September 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks so much for your review, and glad to hear you enjoyed exploring Hanoi through the lens with Boris. All the best and see you next time!

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

This was the first time I’ve taken a photo tour and my wife and I really enjoyed it. Mansour, our guide, was friendly, professional, and his technical suggestions and local insight were very welcomed.
The locations he took us to were a visual feast- the old train bridge overlooking a section of the wholesale market, and then into the chaos of the market itself.
After that we walked down a long alley with vendors just starting their day and setting up, and then on to a really cool spot behind the main market where fruit and flower vendors sell on the street.
Next was train street north of the station close to the old city, and we ended with a short intro to panning shots.
I took many many fantastic photographs during the tour. But beyond the great locations, my discussions with Mansour really impacted the way I approach taking photos. How I look at composition, lighting, and mostly, the story-or message- that I want to convey in the image or images.
I came away from the tour more excited and inspired about photography than ever. Thank you Vietnam in Focus!

2  Thank dan074
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

Fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your Hanoi Explorer tour with Mansour. Yes, it is full of great locations and sights like Long Bien market, the Old Quarter alleys and the railway tracks, but it really helps to have a great guide like that to explore it. Really great to hear that Mansour was able to inspire you guys and help you take the next steps in your photography. Thanks so much for joining us, and for the review. See you next time!

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I took a private morning tour (starting 5.15am pick up at our hotel) of Hanoi’s train tracks from Long Bien bridge to the southern end of Ga Ha Nội, with Mansour.

We loved the tour! Mansour was incredibly knowledge and showed us not only how to set up the photo, but how to tell a story through the focus of your shots and how to approach photography generally (everything from choosing a topic to blogging and sorting photos!). The pace of the tour was perfect and allowed us to pick and choose were we spent more time.

The tour includes a tea break around 7.30am and breakfast around 9am. My partner isn’t a photographer and Vietnam in Focus offers a half price ticket if you just want to come along on the day (without a camera).

I’ve done a bit of travel photography before but am not experienced. The private/small group set up of the tour allows them to tailor it well to your level.

We left feeling really inspired, and with all these new ideas about approaching our photography!

Highly recommend if you want a unique tour of Hanoi!

Date of experience: August 2018

Thanks so much for your great review of On the Tracks. We're delighted you had fun with Mansour and learned plenty of photography tips. It's especially brilliant to know you left feeling inspired! All the best from the whole team, and we'll look forward to seeing you guys again next time!