TripAdvisor
Open today: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Ways to Experience Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops
from $89.00
More Info
All reviews long bien market sunrise tour camera settings great shots street photography train tracks photography experience photographic tour taking pictures ha giang great teacher explore hanoi photo opportunities great tour private tour small group an amazing experience
Selected filters
Reviewed February 22, 2018

Very enjoyable tour with Boris, the market area at dawn was not one I would have found on my own. His suggestions on street photography, and how locals would react, was helpful and amusing, and his ideas on telling a story, composition and panning helped to break out of my normal habits, ie explore. Came back with a few shots I liked and the basis for a couple of stories- in all a good return for a morning out.

Date of experience: February 2018
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Thanks so much for your review, and we're very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with Boris. Great to know he was able to help you out with some tips and ideas for photo stories. All the best, and see you next time!

Reviewed February 4, 2018

We woke at the crack of dawn for a tour of the Long Bien wholesale market along the railroad tracks, where we had a photo lesson and proceeded to take pictures of the market activity and have breakfast. Then we continued along the tracks for more unusual photos and in-depth, local color commentary from our fabulous guide Duc Nguyen. This was a major highlight of our trip and I would recommend it highly.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank nanettesvenson
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2018

Great review, thank you so much! We're really delighted to know that Duc showed you the city we love on your Hanoi Explorer Private Tour, as well as teaching you plenty of useful camera tips. He's a very passionate guide, and really enjoyed spending time with you guys too. THanks again, all the best with your photography, and see you next time!

Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

I took the Long Bien bridge sunrise tour with my 12 year old son. Our guide, Duc, was excellent and turned up at our hotel at 4:15 am to pick us up and escort us by taxi to the bridge above a large local market. I am a novice photographer and Duc was able to take me through the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, using a tripod in low light and shot composition in a way that I could easily understand and remember. His English was very good and he made a point of frequently interacting with my son although he was primarily there as an observer (who just paid half price). The location was very interesting although a bit chilly in mid Jan so some warm clothes are definitely a good idea. With Duc's assistance we were able to interact with some of the locals and my son also proved to be a big hit in this regard. This permitted some nice photos down in the market. Finally we finished with simply the best coffee I had during my time in Vietnam, in a very nice cafe overlooking the Long Bien bridge. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: January 2018
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2018

Thanks so much for your detailed and kind review. Great that Duc was able to involve your son in the tour, as well as guide you. He's very personable and thoughtful, and we're extremely proud of him. I know he enjoyed spending the morning at Long Bien market with you too!

All the best to both of you, and thanks again for joining our tour and reviewing us. Take care and see you next time!

Reviewed January 7, 2018

It has taken me a while to write this review because I have a busy work and family life schedule, but the delay shouldn't undermine in any way the enthusiasm and high regard that I have for the entire crew at Vietnam in Focus. There is the old saying that you only have one shot to make a first impression, and these guys were absolutely outstanding from the very start in communicating with me and making the entire booking and photo tour experience enjoyable and stress free. While I was only allowed to identify one tour as part of this site review, I actually took four different tours with them during my trip and each one was well worth it. Their business approach is well thought out, leaving the excellent photographers to handle the photography side and the individuals with exceptional organization and customer service skills to handle the business side. This is very different from many other tour companies that I had dealt with in other countries, where photographers try to do everything and it ends up being a complete disaster. Alex and Yen were incredibly helpful in organizing the different tours and very responsive and accomodating whenever I had question or a concern about my trip. The photographers exuded enthusiasm and a love of photography that was undeniably infectious. As with any tour or service, you only get what you put into it, so to really learn from these guys and this experience be open to engaging them on sharing their technical skills and getting to them to demonstrate how they think about and might approach a shot. What I learned is that these photographers aren't just there to walk you around and stand by why you did your thing, but rather they would engage with you, discuss their life with you and how they got to where they are today, share their way of thinking about photography and help you think about how to approach a subject differently than you otherwise might. The experience felt personal and not business like. They love photography and won't hesitate to share and critique (and critique is okay, even if one should feel confident in his or her own style and what makes a photograph interesting for him or her, you become better only if you are willing to seek and accept feedback). In fact, I think at one point Boris turned to me (chuckling and joking of course) and emphatically stated that I have enough equipment so don't buy anymore but rather just go out and take pictures! He was more right than he knew, as he was echoing the sentiments of my wife that I collect too much equipment and not enough photographs...and it is why I decided to go on this on this trip in the first instance after a several year hiatus. Colm, Boris and Matthieu were all very delightful and downright personable, just the kind of people you would love to share a beer with (and by the way we did share many, along with alex and yen!). I couldn't recommend these guys enough and perhaps someday will get back to see more of the country side and without a doubt would turn to these guys for that experience. I am going to do a shout out for some of the shirts Boris has created on the side. Very comfortable and very cool if you are interested in bringing something back other than the typical tourist trinket. I highly recommend these team and Vietnam In Focus team, I'll be sharing some images and working on a web site to share my reinvigorated passion shortly. Look forward to seeing you all again some day.

Date of experience: November 2017
4  Thank BryanWoodard

We're so happy to read your review, thanks so much from all of us. We knew you'd had a great time on all the tours you joined with us, but it's so great to read such a detailed affirmation of everything we're doing right! All the guides really enjoyed spending time with you, travelling and photographing, and Yen and I were delighted to meet you and have the chance to chat. All of the input and feedback you gave us during and after the trip was absolutely invaluable, big thanks for that. I'm sure we'll see you again next time you come to Vietnam. As I told you, the northern provinces are the places to go - Ha Giang, Mu Cang Chai and Moc Chau. Let's do it next time! Thanks again and take care!

Reviewed January 7, 2018

It has taken me a while to write this review because i have a busy work and family life schedule, but the delay shouldn't undermine in any way the enthusiasm and high regard that i have for the entire crew at Vietnam in Focus. There is the old saying that you only have one shot to make a first impression, and these guys were absolutely outstanding from the very start in communicating with me and making the entire booking and photo tour experience enjoyable and stress free. While I was only allowed to identify one tour as part of this site review, I actually took four different tours with them during my trip and each one was well worth it. Their business approach is well thought out, leaving the excellent photographers to handle the photography side and the individuals with exceptional organization and customer service skills to handle the business side. This is very different from many other tour companies that I had dealt with in other countries, where photographers try to do everything and it ends up being a complete disaster. Alex and Yen were incredibly helpful in organizing the different tours and very responsive and accomodating whenever I had question or a concern about my trip. The photographers exuded enthusiasm and a love of photography that was undeniably infectious. As with any tour or service, you only get what you put into it, so to really learn from these guys and this experience be open to engaging them on sharing their technical skills and getting to them to demonstrate how they think about and might approach a shot. What I learned is that these photographers aren't just there to walk you around and stand by why you did your thing, but rather they would engage with you, discuss their life with you and how they got to where they are today, share their way of thinking about photography and help you think about how to approach a subject differently than you otherwise might. The experience felt personal and not business like. They love photography and won't hesitate to share and critique (and critique is okay, even if one should feel confident in his or her own style and what makes a photograph interesting for him or her, you become better only if you are willing to seek and accept feedback). In fact, I think at one point Boris turned to me (chuckling and joking of course) and emphatically stated that I have enough equipment so don't buy anymore but rather just go out and take pictures! He was more right than he knew, as he was echoing the sentiments of my wife that I collect too much equipment and not enough photographs...and it is why I decided to go on this on this trip in the first instance after a several year hiatus. Colm, Boris and Mansour were all very delightful and downright personable, just the kind of people you would love to share a beer with (and by the way we did share many, along with alex and yen!). I couldn't recommend these guys enough and perhaps someday will get back to see more of the country side and without a doubt would turn to these guys for that experience. I am going to do a shout out for some of the shirts Boris has created on the side. Very comfortable and very cool if you are interested in bringing something back other than the typical tourist trinket. I highly recommend these team and Vietnam In Focus team, I'll be sharing some images and working on a web site to share my reinvigorated passion shortly. Look forward to seeing you all again some day.

Date of experience: November 2017