Tripadvisor
Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops
Open today: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Ways to Experience Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops
More Info
All reviews long bien market sunrise tour camera settings great shots street photography photography experience photographic tour taking pictures ha giang great teacher explore hanoi photo opportunities great tour ethnic minority private tour night tour an amazing experience
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

I took the Long Bien bridge sunrise tour with my 12 year old son. Our guide, Duc, was excellent and turned up at our hotel at 4:15 am to pick us up and escort us by taxi to the bridge above a large local market. I am a novice photographer and Duc was able to take me through the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, using a tripod in low light and shot composition in a way that I could easily understand and remember. His English was very good and he made a point of frequently interacting with my son although he was primarily there as an observer (who just paid half price). The location was very interesting although a bit chilly in mid Jan so some warm clothes are definitely a good idea. With Duc's assistance we were able to interact with some of the locals and my son also proved to be a big hit in this regard. This permitted some nice photos down in the market. Finally we finished with simply the best coffee I had during my time in Vietnam, in a very nice cafe overlooking the Long Bien bridge. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: January 2018
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2018

Thanks so much for your detailed and kind review. Great that Duc was able to involve your son in the tour, as well as guide you. He's very personable and thoughtful, and we're extremely proud of him. I know he enjoyed spending the morning at Long Bien market with you too!

All the best to both of you, and thanks again for joining our tour and reviewing us. Take care and see you next time!

Reviewed January 7, 2018

It has taken me a while to write this review because I have a busy work and family life schedule, but the delay shouldn't undermine in any way the enthusiasm and high regard that I have for the entire crew at Vietnam in Focus. There is the old saying that you only have one shot to make a first impression, and these guys were absolutely outstanding from the very start in communicating with me and making the entire booking and photo tour experience enjoyable and stress free. While I was only allowed to identify one tour as part of this site review, I actually took four different tours with them during my trip and each one was well worth it. Their business approach is well thought out, leaving the excellent photographers to handle the photography side and the individuals with exceptional organization and customer service skills to handle the business side. This is very different from many other tour companies that I had dealt with in other countries, where photographers try to do everything and it ends up being a complete disaster. Alex and Yen were incredibly helpful in organizing the different tours and very responsive and accomodating whenever I had question or a concern about my trip. The photographers exuded enthusiasm and a love of photography that was undeniably infectious. As with any tour or service, you only get what you put into it, so to really learn from these guys and this experience be open to engaging them on sharing their technical skills and getting to them to demonstrate how they think about and might approach a shot. What I learned is that these photographers aren't just there to walk you around and stand by why you did your thing, but rather they would engage with you, discuss their life with you and how they got to where they are today, share their way of thinking about photography and help you think about how to approach a subject differently than you otherwise might. The experience felt personal and not business like. They love photography and won't hesitate to share and critique (and critique is okay, even if one should feel confident in his or her own style and what makes a photograph interesting for him or her, you become better only if you are willing to seek and accept feedback). In fact, I think at one point Boris turned to me (chuckling and joking of course) and emphatically stated that I have enough equipment so don't buy anymore but rather just go out and take pictures! He was more right than he knew, as he was echoing the sentiments of my wife that I collect too much equipment and not enough photographs...and it is why I decided to go on this on this trip in the first instance after a several year hiatus. Colm, Boris and Matthieu were all very delightful and downright personable, just the kind of people you would love to share a beer with (and by the way we did share many, along with alex and yen!). I couldn't recommend these guys enough and perhaps someday will get back to see more of the country side and without a doubt would turn to these guys for that experience. I am going to do a shout out for some of the shirts Boris has created on the side. Very comfortable and very cool if you are interested in bringing something back other than the typical tourist trinket. I highly recommend these team and Vietnam In Focus team, I'll be sharing some images and working on a web site to share my reinvigorated passion shortly. Look forward to seeing you all again some day.

4  Thank BryanWoodard

We're so happy to read your review, thanks so much from all of us. We knew you'd had a great time on all the tours you joined with us, but it's so great to read such a detailed affirmation of everything we're doing right! All the guides really enjoyed spending time with you, travelling and photographing, and Yen and I were delighted to meet you and have the chance to chat. All of the input and feedback you gave us during and after the trip was absolutely invaluable, big thanks for that. I'm sure we'll see you again next time you come to Vietnam. As I told you, the northern provinces are the places to go - Ha Giang, Mu Cang Chai and Moc Chau. Let's do it next time! Thanks again and take care!

Reviewed January 7, 2018

It has taken me a while to write this review because i have a busy work and family life schedule, but the delay shouldn't undermine in any way the enthusiasm and high regard that i have for the entire crew at Vietnam in Focus. There is the old saying that you only have one shot to make a first impression, and these guys were absolutely outstanding from the very start in communicating with me and making the entire booking and photo tour experience enjoyable and stress free. While I was only allowed to identify one tour as part of this site review, I actually took four different tours with them during my trip and each one was well worth it. Their business approach is well thought out, leaving the excellent photographers to handle the photography side and the individuals with exceptional organization and customer service skills to handle the business side. This is very different from many other tour companies that I had dealt with in other countries, where photographers try to do everything and it ends up being a complete disaster. Alex and Yen were incredibly helpful in organizing the different tours and very responsive and accomodating whenever I had question or a concern about my trip. The photographers exuded enthusiasm and a love of photography that was undeniably infectious. As with any tour or service, you only get what you put into it, so to really learn from these guys and this experience be open to engaging them on sharing their technical skills and getting to them to demonstrate how they think about and might approach a shot. What I learned is that these photographers aren't just there to walk you around and stand by why you did your thing, but rather they would engage with you, discuss their life with you and how they got to where they are today, share their way of thinking about photography and help you think about how to approach a subject differently than you otherwise might. The experience felt personal and not business like. They love photography and won't hesitate to share and critique (and critique is okay, even if one should feel confident in his or her own style and what makes a photograph interesting for him or her, you become better only if you are willing to seek and accept feedback). In fact, I think at one point Boris turned to me (chuckling and joking of course) and emphatically stated that I have enough equipment so don't buy anymore but rather just go out and take pictures! He was more right than he knew, as he was echoing the sentiments of my wife that I collect too much equipment and not enough photographs...and it is why I decided to go on this on this trip in the first instance after a several year hiatus. Colm, Boris and Mansour were all very delightful and downright personable, just the kind of people you would love to share a beer with (and by the way we did share many, along with alex and yen!). I couldn't recommend these guys enough and perhaps someday will get back to see more of the country side and without a doubt would turn to these guys for that experience. I am going to do a shout out for some of the shirts Boris has created on the side. Very comfortable and very cool if you are interested in bringing something back other than the typical tourist trinket. I highly recommend these team and Vietnam In Focus team, I'll be sharing some images and working on a web site to share my reinvigorated passion shortly. Look forward to seeing you all again some day.

Reviewed December 29, 2017

An early start but that meant I managed to take photos I would never have achieved otherwise. Boris was a great guide and gave me lots of tips (and confidence!) for taking candid photos. I was really pleased with the results and learned a lot about Hanoi. One tip - if you can, do this tour early on in your trip to Hanoi - you'll then have more chance to re-visit locations and put your new found knowledge to practice!

Date of experience: November 2017
Alex S, Owner at Vietnam in Focus - Photo Tours and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

The early start is always worth it for the Hanoi Explorer! Great to read your review, and we're delighted that you enjoyed the tour, picked up plenty of tips, and had fun with Boris. That's a good tip for people to do the tour early on in their travels - we often have participants saying they wished they'd done it earlier. Thanks again, all the best with your photography, and see you next time!

Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

My partner and I spent the morning On The Tracks and had a fantastic time. It was my Christmas present to my partner who has recently taken up photography. Linh, our guide, was very knowledgeable. He showed my partner some new settings to use on his camera. His keen eye for a great photo was also awesome in terms of pointing things out we may have never noticed ourselves. The glimpse into the lives of the Vietnamese market stall holders was a once in a lifetime experience. I could have sat and watched them at work for hours. The train tracks with peoples homes and workplaces was also an eye opener. All places you’d probably never visit just on your own. The traditional Pho breakfast was also delicious. Thank you to Linh for a great morning.

Delighted to know you guys enjoyed your On the Tracks tour with Linh, thanks so much for the kind review. The train tracks and markets of Hanoi really are fantastic, and it's a pleasure for us to share them. Photography seems to be the perfect way to do that! Thanks again to both of you, and we'll see you next time!