“Ha Giang Adventure”

Hanoi On the Tracks Photo Tour
Ranked #83 of 861 Tours in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Vietnam in Focus run unique photography tours of Hanoi and Northern Vietnam, led by professional photographers. We help you to explore Vietnam through the art of photography, giving you practical skills, unforgettable experiences and fantastic shots to prove it. Enjoy exhibitions by local and international photographers at our gallery / cafe in the Old Quarter. Tour booking also available here.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This tour was such an amazing experience. It's been the highlight of the six months I've spent in Vietnam. Colm and Alex are very professional and are really lovely guys too. I got to see and learn so much more about Vietnamese culture and way of life in those five days on the tour. The homestay was something special and the family were so hospitable to us. The VIF guys speak Vietnamese and we could really appreciate the difference that this made with our interaction with the locals.

On the photo side of things, I learnt a lot about my camera settings that I didn't know before. Colm really helped me to understand how to work with different lighting and depth of field and has also given me a whole new way of thinking when photographing.

I really enjoyed this trip and I would highly recommend VIF to everyone.

All reviews
"typical tourist"
"great morning"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I knew about Alex' and Colm's great job thanks to one of their "responsible" works and, though initially I did not want to spend Tet in Vietnam, I could not avoid accompanying them and two other very nice fellows during their Tour "Tet in Ha Giang". 5 amazing days travelling on motorbike and shooting a lot of pictures with Colm's advise, which made me learn a lot of interesting tricks. Thanks to Alex and Colm, I definitely fell in love with Ha Giang and its people and, of course, I would strongly recommend this team to anyone who would like to discover Hanoi or any other part of Vietnam with an eye behind the camera and a smile on your face.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed March 12, 2014

If you are interested in photography and heading to Hanoi, you have to book a moto-photo tour with Vietnam in Focus. Alex and Colm were so responsive and helpful in arranging the tour around the time I had available. Colm is a true professional and is one of the best teacher's I've had. He knows the best places to shoot and is great at getting the locals on side thanks to his amazing Vietnamese! I got load of tips to improve my technique and it really showed in my pictures - according to my friend's comments on FB :-) Was a superb day out! I will definitely book the night tour on my next trip to Hanoi!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank lisasmorgan
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I booked in for the Adventures in the Capital tour and even though I was the only one Colm took me out and gave me a one on one lesson/tour. I gained some great insight into street and documentary photography that was really unique fun and interesting. Colm has a great eye for finding life and interactions that really bring your photos to life. I can't wait to put my new tips tricks and technique to work. Thanks Colm for a great tour!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I first became interested in this trip when I saw photos from Vietnam in Focus' previous trip to Ha Giang. I didn't think it would be for me though, until Alex reassured me that you "don't need a fancy-pants camera to come...some people use their phones"!

I'm so glad I went on this trip. For me, the main attraction was getting off the beaten path, and taking advantage of Colm and Alex's expertise to see places I might not discover by myself. I wasn't disappointed. Our group was extremely well looked after on the trip, with everything well organised (which can be difficult since so much shuts down during Tet!) and lots of fantastic food.

Highlights, in addition to the beautiful scenery, were getting to stay with a Dzao family for two days, learning about their culture and being treated as friends, as well as being welcomed by other Vietnamese families to greet the New Year with lots of great food, rice wine toasts and hospitality. With my (extremely!) limited Vietnamese, this is something I would struggle to do myself, but Alex and Colm were great at translating, teaching us some Vietnamese phrases and cultural norms, and making sure we all felt included.

I chose my point and shoot camera because it had some manual features...then never used them! So it was great on this trip to get some advice from Colm on settings, as well as guidance on how to set up a 'picture story'. I felt that I really gained some skills and I include my final 7 photo story on here - I usually produce blurry / wonky / poorly framed shots so you can judge for yourself!

If you are travelling in Northern Vietnam and would like to peek 'under the cover' but you aren't sure how to break away from the Lonely Planet, or you would love to see undiscovered parts of Hanoi and hone your photography skills, then I heartily recommend Vietnam in Focus. You won't regret it - and it may very well be the highlight of your holiday! (Plus just think of all those great photos you'll have to show your friends).