“Personalised Introduction From a Local”

Hanoi Free Walking Tours
Ranked #67 of 854 Tours in Hanoi
More attraction details
Owner description: Hanoi Free Walking Tours, established in late of 2011, is known as a student - run organization based in Hanoi, Vietnam. By voluntarily taking city tours in Hanoi, we hope to bring to travelers from all over the world an insight into our culture, tradition and beautiful sight-seeing. Each individual can explore their full potential through cross-cultural experiences and extracurricular activities.
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I spent an afternoon with one of the free guides, a recent economics graduate and native of Hanoi. It was a wonderful experience and I recommend it to anyone looking for an insider's perspective on the city and Vietnamese culture. We visited the Opera House, the History Museum and ended our tour with an egg coffee at a hidden spot popular with the locals--something I never would have done on my own. During our time together the guide, Mei, about 22, told me about popular Vietnamese TV shows (the Voice Vietnam), the communist party, youth culture, and much else I never could have learned from a Lonely Planet or wandering alone. While her English was basic, it actually made me feel useful by helping her improve.
This is a great service and totally flexible with your schedule and what you want to see--take advantage of it!

5  Thank Bryant73

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited Hanoi in April this year and really enjoyed the city walks, the traffic is so manic but we found it fun crossing the extremely busy roads, just walk slowly and positively across the road and the traffic amazingly flows around you. The people in Hanoi are friendly and we felt very safe walking around both day and night, there is so much to see from colourfull. Markets to food being cooked on the street (try it, it's fresh and tasty ) to modern department stores, we stayed for 3 days but could have spent the week there. All in all we fully enjoyed our stay in Hanoi and would definitely go again. By the way we are both in our sixties and found the walking easy as it is mostly on the level.

4  Thank Paul m
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A friend and I took a walking tour recently with Tung through the Hanoi free walking tours. It was a great day and an excellent way to see the city and to gain a deeper understanding of the culture here in Vietnam. Everything was so enjoyable and it was great that the plan for the day was so flexible. We learned so many things which we would have not learned if we had not taken the tour. Our every question was answered. We both really enjoyed the day and have been raving about Hanoi free walking tours since. If you are coming to Hanoi I would totally recommend these tours, so worth while, one of the best days we have had here in Hanoi. Thank you Tung!!!

4  Thank Car168
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We did a full day walking tour with Tung, and found it really good. He was keen to find out what we wanted to see and to tailor the trip for us. We visited the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, museum and house, as well as the Temple of Literature, and we had a good lunch in KOYO. Even though the guide was young, he was incredibly well-informed and was able to answer all our questions about Vietnamese culture and history. In fact, he was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable, we had another backpacker tag along just to listen! I'd strongly recommend the free walking tour- it was a highlight of our time in Hanoi :)

3  Thank Celine L
Reviewed August 3, 2013

One of the best things I tried in Vietnam! They arranged two students to give me a tour on very short notice. Tam and Puppy were very nice and friendly and showed me where to find some interesting sights and food. Their English was already very good, and I could understand almost everything they told me the first time. If you've got a few hours to spare and would like to avoid the tourist traps and get to know the city a bit, I highly recommend these tours.

4  Thank ndoherty13