“Good hostel at an affordable rate.”
Review of Hanoi City Hostel

Hanoi City Hostel
Ranked #24 of 367 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Manila, Philippines
“Good hostel at an affordable rate.”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The location of the hostel is very near Hoan Kiem Lake. Its very accessible to restaurants and shops even the fruit market. Breakfast is a consistent French bread and an excellent supply of eggs. Banks are also accessible. Exchange services is available at the reception (at an acceptable forex rate). Fronting the hostel is a convenience store which resolves emergency needs on food and drinks. Rooms are quite big for a solo traveler. The comfort rooms are amazing with bath tub and hot shower. But basic toiletries are not provided. The noise of the air conditioning unit in my room is stressful at first but tolerable after sometime. You can also avail of the tour packages at the front desk. However, it's a little expensive compared to surrounding tour operators. If you have time, you may inquire tours from the many operators in the area to get the best rate. Overall, its a good option in Hanoi, Vietnam.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Tonyph08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights in this hostel. The staff is very friendly and helped us booking a trip to the perfume pagodas and a 2 day 1 night cruise to halong bay. Breakfast is included although there isn't much to choose from. The hostel is relatively clean and the double bed is huge! It is well positioned for the main attractions and close to many restaurants. Good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank simo83milano
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We booked to stay here after we had been let down by two different hotels in Hanoi. It seems that many hotels do not guarantee your booking even if you have paid so we were twice moved to different hotels that were not very nice. I came across this hostel whilst searching for somewhere new to stay and the staff were absolutely wonderful. They sympathised with our circumstances and promised that if we booked a room with them we would not be moved. They were true to there word and when we arrived back from a trip to Halong Bay our room was ready for us. The rooms are very spacious, the beds and huge and everything was very clean. The TV has English film channels and the shower hot water. For the price it is really good value for money. We highly recommend and thank the lovely staff here for such a nice stay.

Room Tip: We had the room at the very top. There is a lift though which is great. I didn't see any of the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelling C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Moon and the other staff here went out of their way many times to ensure that my stay and my trips/tours/transfers were enjoyable, well organised and great value!

The room was clean and had everything I needed for my first stay in Hanoi. Recommended!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank EMendelow
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed two nights in Hanoi City hostel and I was not disappointed. As a solo traveler I had a double room with private bathroom - both were decent and clean. They offer a good breakfast - you can chose either continental style or Vietnamese soup.
The hostel is situated in old quarter so it's easy to walk to the main attractions or just wander in the old quarter.
The staff is lovely and very very helpful. I booked both my tours to Halong bay and sapa with them and I was not disappointed - they are working with serious tours and I had a good experience in both unlike some tourists I met on the way. So if you plan to visit these places just book with them. Moon and her colleagues will plan it for you and save you the hassle of looking for an agency in the city. The staff is so kind when I came back from sapa at 6am they gave me access to a room so I could have a shower - even if I had checked out the hostel 5 days before. They also gave me drinks and food and printed my plane ticket for me. Moon was always kind and helpful, I am glad I stayed in this hostel for my first stay in Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Marinenw2
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights and it was decent value. The location is right there in the old quarter so you're walking distance or a short ride away from the attractions. The rooms were quiet enough, basic but OK for a couple of nights.The weather was so wet and cold in Hanoi and admittedly after a while I started craving the comfort of a luxury hotel! Saying that, the staff were incredibly helpful particularly Hanna. Fine for the budget traveller.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in March. The rooms are quite large, they supply a hair dryer which I was very happy about, and the staff (particularly Hanna) are fantastic.

We were moved to a diiferent hotel the first night. I think this was down to over booking, however we were told it was because another guest had been in a motor cycle accident. The staff were very apologetic. We mived into the hotel after 2 nights in the one around the corner. The staff were so pleasent that we couldnt be mad.

It is very central in the old quarter of hanoi.

We foolishly booked transport from hanoi through a travel agency that scammed us. We should have booked with the hostel. They did everything they could to help us fix the mess we were in, and made no money from helping us. They just did it to help.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple