“The worst staff you can imagine”

Hoan Kiem Downtown Backpackers Hostel
Hoan Kiem Downtown Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #223 of 450 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We booked a room for 2 nights. When we arrived at midnight, they gave our room to someone else and said that the hotel was full.
They didn't even try to find us another room somewhere else. They asked us to leave. We refused and they wanted to fight us with chairs and beer bottles.

Don't stay in this hotel !!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 20, 2014

the pictures are photoshopped
misrepresentation: there is no wifi, no breakfast
staff is not flexible & they tried to avoid giving me my change when I paid
bathroom was dirty: not cleaned after prevoius inhabitant, tub was almost black
noise till late, light from hallway was shining into room
they trie to sell me a trip, after noticing I booked elsewhere the manager stated I overpaid
which was not true (halong bay (3 days, 2 nights) & sapa trekking (4 nights, 3 days) & 2 nights hotel in hoi-an for 400 us dollars is an absolutely good deal.

Room Tip: avoid this hostel: there is no good room because its noisy in every aspect and quality of service p...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My first night here I stayed in the dorm. The beds were really comfortable, but the noise from the elevator directly next to the dorm room was extremely loud and kept waking me up all night (and I'm a deep sleeper). There is absolutely no place to lock up your belongings. I upgraded to a private room just so I could feel as though my pack was somewhat secure. They advertise that breakfast is included in the room cost, but when I ordered my breakfast and got up to leave afterwards, I was told that the restaurant is separate from the hotel and I would have to pay for my breakfast. Additionally, wi-fi only worked in the restaurant, not in the rooms. Overall, with all the other options available in Hanoi I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The only good point about this hotel is the location. And there are 200+ other hotels that are surrounding this one. Keep walking in any direction and you'll find a better hotel just a few steps away.

I booked online, a bed in the dormitory (breakfast included). As soon as I walked in and confirmed the booking, they tried to sell me a trip to Halong Bay. I did some checking around and it was about 50% cheaper elsewhere.

The whole place except for the restaurant is dirty. The downstairs toilet is buzzing with flies as the floor hasn't been cleaned and if you have a chance to peek into the kitchen you will see that the same applies.

They said that tea/coffee facilities were available and that if I had my own coffee I could help myself to the kettle. What they didn't tell me was that they were going to charge me $1 every time I boiled the kettle.

They denied having received my online booking deposit and wouldn't give me back my passport until I could prove it. He didn't even bother checking.

They refused to give us breakfast and said it wasn't included because we were in the dormitory.
I had to ask four times for a towel and only half the room was lit because 3 bulbs had blown and they hadn't replaced them. I checked with another guest and he said he had told them of the issue 3 days before and he had got fed up mentioning it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been more than 3 days in this hostel and it wasn,t very good, the people at the first moment very good but later HORRIBLE... many problems with everything . They didn,t clean the room in 4 days, I had to speak with them ,please can you lend me towers? ...and laundry service it was a disaster. I,m not sure it was because the people had a bad day but, in Hanoi you can find thousands better hostel, FOR SURE.

Something positive....The bar is good and the meat also.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three night and paid $15 per evening. This is very good value for money as a very basic breakfast is included (baguette with 1 egg & coffee).
Unfortunately this hotel is very run down and needs some serious tlc. The bathrooms are very dirty and one can see the potential if this property is looked after,maybe given a bit of paint and a decent clean.
The area is perfect as it is close to the International corner and markets. Food stall are everywhere here! Compared to other hotels in the area the price is well worth it if you are willing to look past a run down dirty environment. For people like us on a tight budget it is worth it.

The staff obviously also try to sell trips and their mood can change depending on you buying from them or another party so rather steer away from that conversation if possible.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew v
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place is no frills , but clean , nice and great location . All the staffs were fiendly and helpful . They give you the city map in the morning and draw a tour on it for you according to your budget . We did for three days and have a best time without having to thing about what do and where to eat ? I would like to stay here anytime i am back to Hanoi

Room Tip: should get room with window will be better
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo