“Authentic italian with a decor to match”
Review of Il Grillo

Il Grillo
Ranked #367 of 2,240 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Italian, European, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Authentic italian with a decor to match”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I ducked in here as it was heaving down outside and found myself in a classic refugio style restaurant. The staff were lovely, their English was very good and they displayed the right amount of attentiveness without being overbearing. I had the bruscetta followed by the the tagliatteli ragu, both were very tasty and the portions were reasonable considering the price. The wine selection is very good and the wines by the glass are excellent.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank warrencammack

• Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I dined here with some friends while in Hanoi on their recommendation. It is a small cramped place with limited space and facilities. The food is Italian themed and does bear a relationship to Italy but not very authentic in my view. When smokers are in everybody gets to share their pleasure which detracts from the food! The service was poor and relatively unfriendly. The wash rooms or at least the mens were poor and on return from one such excursion past the kitchen it wasn't good to see a guy washing a dirty mop in the sink close to the food preparation area. Never again for me!

Visited May 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Sister of Late Lamented La Terrazza”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Grillo is the sister restaurant of the late lamented La Terrazza which I used to frequent most days and was the cause of my becoming terribly overweight.
I never rated Grillo against Terrazza as the chef there was classic Italian and covered everything with olive oil - authentic but not modern taste. Now it has improved and still holds a place in gastronomy in Hanoi. I wouldn't go for the pizzas as Luna D'Autonno beat them on that but their pasta is some of the best in Hanoi. The chocolate mousse is also a favourite.

• Visited October 2013
“No more...”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Il Grillo is near office and go there sometimes to enjoy pasta and bruschetta as old - traditional itallian restaurant.

Today is raining and i manage to go there only half soaked.. but still. Restaurant is almost full as my surprise.

Order bruschetta and a mediteranean salad with anchovy and goat cheese but how surprised when the salad arrives as goat cheese are two transparent and broken slices... I called the waiter to tell my surprise as the price of salad would have me expected for a higher consideration. The waiter smiled and said to me she would see, but clearly did not understood anything, nor did anything. waiting for thing to move but nothing, so looked back to the waitress who come to me and she said : its like that, we cut two slices... i replied, ok for two slices but can it be only not broken becasue its too thin ? she finally called the mananger and i was expected a solution... useless... they just kept on saying : we cut it by hands so its thin... and apologies for it.

When asked the bill, I was really surprised to see that such behavior had won an extra 10% as service charge... for overal 200,000 vnd... surely the most expensive piece of greens I have had in Vietnam.

What a shame, surely not a place I would go back without being desperate ...

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank XDP1977
“Classic Italian restaurant”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This restaurant from outside looks not like a high-class restaurant, it even looks old with the green billboards has been fade "Il Grillo", means "Cricket" in English. But when you get inside, you won't think this restaurant has been forgotten. Otherwise, the owner has been caring to it for about 20 years.

I highly recommend you to have dinner at this restaurant because opposite to its outside appearance, inside the restaurant the way they deco with lights and many bottles of wine (long age) are impressive in the evening. It looks really classic, like italian restaurant classic, I think. Moreover, you will be served very politely even you may not ask for wine. About food, I just had chance to try pizza, spaghetti and steak. I did really enjoy it. They are very delicious, especially steaks, they are cooked so well!!!. Additional, the price is acceptable, even it's a little be lower than other high quality class. Steaks is about $17, pizza is $7 (it's cheap but doesn't mean low quality and I really like it).

Just take one try and I bet that you will like it because it may make you feel having dinner at home.

• Visited June 2013