“Best of Loving Huts in Hanoi?”
Review of Loving Hut

Loving Hut
Ranked #439 of 2,445 Restaurants in Hanoi
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

First, to contrast w/ the LH on Pho Chua Lang in District Dong Da, where they had none of the salads on the menu and of the six or seven green veggies dishes, only one in stock, all this after a 20 min/90K taxi ride from tourist area...

FAR. superior.

Secondly, I am not a rice person. I am a Caucasian who after sojourning in SEA off and on since 1989 has never escaped his genetic roots, of rye and wheat and at the most 'adapt or die ' will eat only brown or basmati - they had REAL brown rice as we 'Americans' know it.

Thirdly, I despise fake meat - you know fhat TVP and gluten imitation of dead cows' entrails and chicken's feet? The concept and the taste disgust me. But the basil in the photo menu for beef salad hooked me. And I don't regret it. Not chewy, more like the texture of mushrooms to my surprise and delight.

Fourthly, photo menu - just in case you missed that.

Fifthly, if you don 't care to be as gluttonous as I was (I gorged on three dishes - they were filling enough, but I was in pre-fast mode) you can order 'office rice', which is a variety of preparations w/rice for 20, 25 or 30K (VND30,000 is USD1.50).

Sixthly, the price was reasonable for a clean aircon place. Including paying for the dish I broke like a bull in a china shop, my bill was VND155K ($7.30)

The only reason I give it a just OK atmosphere is because I don't care about violins, art and aquariums while I am eating and enjoying good conversation with a new friend.

1  Thank hermespanhermes

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Hanoi has an amazing reputation for food and loving hut didn't disappoint. It had a great selection, all of which is vegan. I can recommend the 'office rice' which is a mixed plate where you get to try a bit of everything. The faux meat is also some of the best I've come across. Service can be a tad slow so if you're in a rush, be warned. It's easy to find if you follow google maps and make sure you have a walk around the area as there is a lot more local life and fewer hawkers. A must!

1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed February 28, 2014

After several days in Hanoi seeking out veggie food we found the Loving Hut at the top end of our street and popped on for supper. It is basically a cafe serving fresh vegan Vietnamese food and juices so a welcome relief from beef pho and fishy noodles! We had a large bowl of noodle soup which was nothing spectacular but filled a gap. There was vegan sushi of a sort but a bit seaweedy for my taste and if you like meat substitutes there were plenty of dishes offering chicken and beef flavoured things. If you're looking for atmosphere go somewhere else but if you need a quick vegan fix this will do you and it won't break the bank. Much better veggie food to be found at the Rainbow restaurant down near the Lake or at the Hanoi Social Club.

1  Thank BarnacleBelle
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Walked around looking for this place and stopped to ask locals and they all seemed to be confused and kept telling me this restaurant is not in Hoi An.... A woman looked it up and told me it's in Hanoi and not Hoi An.... Think someone posted it wrong?!?

Reviewed November 14, 2012

You don't go to any food place in Vietnam expecting a great atmosphere - they're more cafe-like, but that aside, we really enjoyed the food at the Loving Hut.
The "chicken" tasted like chicken, the same for the "beef".
I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are vegan.