“Not expensive and comfortable”

Rising Dragon Legend Hotel
Ranked #53 of 577 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Not expensive and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you do not want to read a lot of words, you can get the conclusion only: good located, not expensive, comfortable. That's it.

But if you want to get more details, you are welcome:
1) The room. The rooms are clean, quite small but comfortable, stuffed with TV and safe. The bed was good for me.
2) The shower. Shower was clean, equipment in good conditions.
3) Breakfast - sImple buffet with fruits, pancakes etc.
4) Location. Location is perfect, in the city center near the lake.
5) Staff. Staff was helpful and knowledgeable. Some of them speak English perfectly. One girl at the reception - I feel myself a swine, I forgot her name - helped me a lot with travelling information even about remote not popular among the tourists places.

Thanks for reading and be happy. Hourrah, camarades!!!
Your Carl S...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carl S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was very happy with the hotel itself. Great rooms, quiet, free coffee downstairs and a very good breakfast.

We also had a very welcoming reception from the staff as we arrived.

For the actual hotel and friendliness of the staff I would give this hotel top marks...however...

We booked two first class train tickets through the hotel from Hanoi to Hue. We paid 1,100 dong for each ticket. When we got on the train and pulled off the carefully stapled receipt, which was covering the actual price of the ticket, we discovered we had been ripped off.

The price of each ticket was only 750,000 dong.

I was actually quite annoyed about this. In Vietnam you get ripped off left, right and centre...but I didn't expect such a big rip off from the hotel.

Anyway, I emailed the hotel about it. To be fair, they did reply and apologised. Their reasoning was that apparently there has been an increase in ticket prices (so despite the face value of the ticket being lower, they had actually had to pay more), they also added 4% tax/insurance, 75,000 dong commission, 50,000 delivery fee...make of that what you will......oh yeah and the rest of the money was to cover the taxi, which took us to the train station. We actually paid for our own taxi to the train station and were not offered any money towards it.

Anyway they offered me a small refund, nowhere near the amount they should have offered me. I didn't take it any further. I wasn't too bothered about a refund, it was more the principle of it.

Apparently they are now going to give customers more information about the ticket prices. We would have just gone and bought the tickets directly from the station if we knew we were going to lose out on so much (around $30 in total!).... Hopefully you will not make the same mistake.

As I said, I would have given this place top marks but that left a bitter taste. Hence the scoring. Interestingly we told the next hotel that we stayed in about it, they were quite surprised. We booked train tickets though this hotel and paid the face value for the ticket (and only 50,000 commission in total!)

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the back. Very quiet .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CrabbyFruitcake
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here with a friend in November and was blown away by the quality of the service, the lodging, and (perhaps most importantly) the breakfast!

As soon as we arrived (hours before check-in), the staff swooped down to pick up our bags, bring us to the restaurant to have coffee and breakfast and chat about our travel plans, etc. while our room was being set up. We were able to check in early and rest up before exploring the city based on the front desk's wonderful recommendations. The staff even got us a great deal on a Halong Bay tour and even mentioned to the staff on the boat that it was my birthday so they would make it special for me (and they did-- they brought me a HUGE birthday cake in the middle of Halong Bay.. i will never be able to up that for a bday)!

The rooms were spotless, there was a safe in each room along with free bottled water, a fridge and a flat screen tv. It was also quiet and we slept well.

Also, the breakfast! You order from a set menu (cinnamon banana pancakes, omelets, etc.) which comes in addition to a fruit/bread/coffee/tea bar!

Overall, I can't rate this place highly enough. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to anyone traveling on a budge...or really, just traveling!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank jesslewis8193
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Me and my wife had the pleasure of staying at this hotel smack in the middle of the old quarter in Hanoi for 8 days. I did not know what to expect, but what a great surprise. The rooms are comfortable, clean and cozy, breakfast was included every morning and we hate very well. The staff will go out of their way to help you and make you fell like home. Davide Trung was especially helpfull in helping us book our trip to Halong Bay as well as Sapa. He found for us the right boat for Halong Bay and an amazing hotel for our stay in Sapa. We were taken in charge from beginning to end with a smile and a desire to please. The staff of The Rising Dragon Legend made a huge difference in our stay in Hanoi. I warmly recommend to book this place for your next trip to Vietnam.

Thanks again the David and the whole staff! We'll see you again for sure.

Best regards,

Stephane and Celine

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nancyd000
Ukiah, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I felt completely at home here. All the staff are very accommodating and kind, they are truly like family. If you have a problem they are genuinely concerned with you. I lost my passport and they did everything in their power to get it back, without me having to ask. They always have a smile on their faces and you can't help but have a good day.
The location of the hotel is ideal. Walking distance of all the old quarter, and located near the beautiful Hoah Kiem Lake. Which is a great landmark if you get turned around.
The trips that they facilitate for you are absolutely wonderful, and they make sure you get the best deals. I was very happy with my day trips and overnight trips, and I felt completely at ease leaving my belongings at the hotel for 4 days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Steven S
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Rising Dragon Legend at 55 Hang Be Street is ideally located with lots of wonderful sight and food to explore in the Old Quarter. Clean cosy room, fresh and fast breakfast to suit every taste. Coffee & Tea readily available. impeccable service from a young and friendly team. Trips arrangement was very detail and was impress by the arrangement of having a staff to send me all the way to the cabin of the train to SAPA. Will definitely return to stay in this "Home" again...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Michaelwilltravel
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed with Rising Dragon Legend (55) for 3 nights.
Rooms are modern, clean and comfortable.
Reception (especially the ladies) were very helpful, helped my hubby and me with directions, calling cabs and recommending the attractions.
They were kind to give us a room for quick shower on our return trip from Sapa.

Minus point for them when they transferred us to Rising Dragon Hotel (61) on the second night. Seeing the room they offered in this hotel, we quickly confronted that we are not comfortable with this arrangement (the rooms offered is smelly and i saw a lizard on the dirtied wall). However they quickly returned us a room in 55, guess there may be some disruption in the booking system (over-booked?) or they may be trying their luck in putting guest to a room of lower value (checked that 61 charges USD10 lower than 55)

Overall, pleasant stay made worth with the great service team.

Room Tip: Avoid the second level for a quieter morning.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple