“A totally pleasant experience”

Little Hanoi Diamond Hotel
Ranked #24 of 620 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“A totally pleasant experience”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Due to a misunderstanding I had to leave my previous hotel and just showed up at Little Hanoi Diamond and asked for a room. I was given the choice between a windowless room on the 2nd floor and a bright room with a view on the 6th floor with no elevator. I definitely made the right choice and went with the 6th floor room. It was lovely and my bag was carried up the stairs for me and down when I left.
It even had a bathtub, hot water worked fine, and since I was 6 flights up they gave me an electric tea kettle when I asked for one. Flat screen TV and AC, no problems with any of these.
The hotel is very inexpensive, very clean but also quite old. If you want new and shiny go stay at the Hilton. This is a low budget hotel; most guests were young travelers trying to save money but the staff were absolutely fabulous. I stayed five days, not because I couldn't afford a fancier hotel but because the whole experience was so pleasant. The breakfast included fresh fruit, baguette, Vietnamese food choices and omelets made to order. The staff helped me with my struggling with Vietnamese pronunciations, offered suggestions on the best local restaurants and street food, called taxis that came in less than 5 minutes and told the drivers where we were going. When we had an unfortunate urgent medical problem they recommended the best hospital where the staff spoke English. Later they inquired as to how the ill person was feeling. They let us bring breakfast food up to her room.
In the heart of the Old Quarter on a great street with restaurants open late, street food, lots of activity, close by the incredible Highway 4 Restaurant and two of the best pho restaurants in Hanoi according to a Vietnamese friend.
They printed my boarding pass, fixed the wifi when it was down, and, by the way, no one ever even asked me if I wanted to book a trip somewhere. The trip info was displayed in the lobby if I had wanted to look at it. A real gem of a place because of the people who work there.

Room Tip: I had a room with windows and a great view on the 6th floor but there is no elevator. The staff brou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriend as we had problems in two previous hotels one where here phone had been stolen and two bad condensation and mould issues. At first hotel was nice greeted with friendly smile shown to clean lovely room however within the hour things changed. Like every other hotel the staff at reception asked our plans for rest of our journey with an eye to sell us a tour. When we informed them we were headed to halong bay and cat ba island within few seconds a tour book was laid in front of us with pictures prices etc very pushy. We informed them we were going to cat ba island independently of which there faces completely changed and next thing we know we are having a huge discussion about the negatives of going on your own dangers of cat ba island how everyone is out to get u blah blah. Anyway we asked if we can just get a bus and boat to cat ba told we couldn't. Later on we walked down road to travel and tourist centre booked direct ticket to cat ba contradicting what the staff said. Just to let you know we spent 5 of our best days in vietnam in Cat ba stayed in a lovely hotel ate amazing food n werent once hassled by pushy rude people. Dont be a target n book tours of halong bay for extortionate amounts of money, for 5 days including moped sitting on beach eating amazing food n staying in hotel we saved 60 dollars each compared to their tours and we didn't have to follow there crappy itinerary. Altogether good hotel but staff who only want one thing more money which is funny considering you are already paying for a room. Dont believe they are nice to you becauase they are genuine.

6 Thank adham123
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We really loved this hotel, we stayed for a couple of nights. The rooms are very clean and spacious, and the staff is just extremely nice. Not to mention the awesome breakfast and free tea/coffee and bananas all day!! Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I had been moved from the sister hostel to this hotel (little Hanoi hostel) because they had over booked and I just wanted a room for the day to shower and nap in because I was catching a 26 hour train ride to the south of Vietnam. They charged me 15 dollars for a room to have for 7 hours. I had had a very stressful day the day before and the train was as a result of flights being changed due to the typhoon so I was in no mood to search for a cheaper place. The room was nice enough but if this is what they charge then it is far too expensive. The room had no window and had basic facilities. I would be annoyed if I paid that much after booking this hotel specifically as I have been in 4 dollar hostel rooms of the same quality. I slept and showered and was asked to check out at 5. The man on reception who claimed to be the manger asked for payment and I explained I was only there for the few hours and could I have a discount. He was not going to give me one. He explained no one else could use the room now as the cleaners had gone so he needed to charge 15 dollars - fair enough, I completely understood that. But why make me check out at 5pm? My train wasn't till 11pm and I was tired and emotional and had paid for the room for the night which no one could now use. Therefore I kindly asked if I could stay a bit longer rather than wandering around Hanoi in the rain. He was having none of it. I was not allowed To have the room I had paid in full for, it was no longer available. I then told him that he had just said that no one else could use it and the cleaners had gone home. He just kept smiling at me and saying it wasn't possible! RIP OFF AND A LIAR! I tried to explain once more that it was unfair and I just wanted to sit in there as I had paid for it and suddenly he said there was work needed doing in the room -LIAR! I was too upset and tired I walked out to find food. When I got back to get my bags I went down to check the room I was in, and what a surprise no one in there. No work going on. All it needed was a little bit of human kindness and to be fair but he wasn't. To top it off they had forgotten I needed a taxi at 10pm and the night staff had to book one for me after I was sat still waiting at nearly quarter past. These people do not know how to be decent human beings. They ripped me off and were unfair. Do not stay here. For the level of care and the rooms which match some nice hostels it is over priced and they do not want the best for their customers.

10 Thank MissBex1986
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a busy hotel, you need to be prepared to wait at reception for service. They were helpful with booking tours (we did the Halong Bay with Fantasea which was great if not a bit pricy), helping us pay for flights (we couldn't pay online so they went to the office for us), directing us around the city, and providing maps. Note that they charge a service fee of $5US for booking tours, etc. The morning we arrived to book a room, the friendly desk manager (Zoom) asked if we had eaten breakfast. We hadn't and he offered us free breakfast which was incredibly kind! Breakfast was included in the overall price (we paid $18US for a double room). Wifi was good. Free coffee/tea and fruit all day. Expect a smile and greeting by name everytime. We stored our bags at the hotel while we did Halong Bay and they were safe when we returned. We had asked to book a nights stay on our return from Halong bay. They somehow missed this and ended up being fully booked. Zoom quickly sent us on a taxi (paid by Little Diamond) to another hotel where we were upgraded to a better room for the same price. A seamless recovery.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Little Hanoi Diamond. The hotel was nice, clean and offered a great breakfast with free coffee, tea and fruit all day. We got a free room upgrade when we returned early in the morning from Sapa, exhausted with our 17 month old son (I think the staff felt bad for us!) What makes this hotel the place to stay in Hanoi is the truly outstanding staff. In particular Zoom (?) became our 17 month old sons best friend and entertained him while we had breakfast and at various times throughout the day. The hotel is a short walk from the Lake which we visited frequently to let our little boy run around.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room not along the main street if you are travelling with children as the traffic no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

A fabulous bargain in Hanoi, the little Hanoi diamond offers clean and comfortable rooms at cheap prices. Undeniably top value for money in the old city. The hotel is located a short rickshaw ride away from the train station or walk to the lake. There's a restaurant, which offers excellent breakfast.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends