“Lucky Guesthouse is Great.”

and 1 more site!
Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse
Ranked #254 of 671 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Lucky Guesthouse is pretty well located in the old Hanoi quarter near to the train station. My room was always clean and staff was very kind and helpful all the time. They help me booking my trips to Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay. I definitely recommend this place. Great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Check In/Out: Arrived at the hostel almost 10pm after a flight from HCMC and then a 40min taxi ride. All I wanted was to get into my room and sleep. However I was bombarded with questions about trips, despite telling them I've already pre-arranged. No welcome drink. No hello or how are you.

Building: Entire hostel is old and the decor is more of a Chinese style than Vietnamese in my opinion.

Bedroom: Stayed in 202 which is on the first floor. Too much traffic from other guests walking up and down, and noise from reception (including washing dishes & cooking). Suggest you use earplugs if you're a light sleeper. Bedroom door has only a door lock and no chain. Didn't feel secured at all. I always carry a door wedge when travelling.

Bathroom: Extremely small. Only provides soap. Hot water is controlled via a switch outside the bathroom. You need to turn it upwards and wait for 10-15mins. No written instructions. Although I was told about this at check-in but had no clue what she was talking about until I asked her to come into my room and show me.

WIFI: Non-existence in my room. Had to go to reception. Don't know other rooms.

Breakfast: No lounge area so to speak. Reception area has some chairs and coffee tables and this is where you have breakfast too. There was some confusion between me and the woman at reception. She initially told me I can only have tea or coffee, but when I told her from previous guests reviews that the hostel provides baguette with jam/butter/eggs and then I got one. Either she misunderstood me or I spoke terrible English.

Taxi Pickup: I pre-arranged via email and costed USD 18. You pay when you check out. I'm sure you can find cheaper but since it was a late flight, I decided to go with it for minimum hassle.

Tips:
- For a 550ml bottled water, they charge 10,000 VND. That's more than double of what I paid at a guesthouse in HCMC! There's a small shop opposite hostel which is cheaper.
- They will ask you to surrender your passport. I simply gave them a photocopy and was accepted.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank m_smlam
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at Lucky GH 2 at the end of November and first impressions were very good although the decor was in need of a little TLC. However, after we explained that we had arranged various tours ourselves, we were virtually ignored thereafter. This was highlighted one morning at breakfast when we were completely overlooked and had to wait over 20 minutes as other guests were served before us despite arriving after and even shunned halfway through ordering for other guests who expressed interest in booking a tour (surprise surprise).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked for 1 night and decided to stay another night in the Lucky Guesthouse 2. They arranged a pick-up from the airport for a reasonable rate.

It's more a hotel than a guest house, since the rooms are really clean and quite new.

The breakfast (simple baguette and an egg and/or jam) was included and was served with free coffee and tea.

Although the staff is really friendly, they kept pushing to book a trip/tour at their office. Shop around to compare rates and you'll find out.

Apart from this it is really good value for money!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed at Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse for one night (well more like 36 hours). Amazingly they let me check into my room at 9 AM, which was much needed after a 6AM flight from KL. The staff members are all super friendly and were very helpful to me about showing me places of interest on the map, booking a train ticket and arranging airport transfer ($15, well worth it considering cabs charge at least $16). I didn't find them at all pushy.

Location is good - right in the Old Quarter, with Hoan Kiem Lake in walking distance.

I thought breakfast was just right - banh mi with butter and jam and an omelette and coffee, which was made when I requested it. After all, you don't want to fill up on a meaty breakfast buffet when there is a the street food wonderland of Hanoi outside!

I had a double bed with bathroom for $14 which I thought was well worth it esp. given all the services rendered. The room had high ceilings and old Chinese-style (I guess Vietnamese style too?) wooden furniture, a comfortable bed, a basic bathroom, AC and a TV. No window view in my room. WiFi was reliable and pretty fast. There's a computer in the lobby as well. Would definitely stay at Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse again!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had a very good time in Hanoi and north Vietnam. The hostel staff is very friendly and helpful. Tam is always looking for guests needs, as are the other staff people, she booked tours to Sapa and Halong Bay for me and I enjoyed it very much... the hostel staff were always trying to make the best deal for me, and when I needed to change some schedulled dates due to Haiyan Tiphoon, they were very accomodating, and everything was perfect.
Í stayed in private room and found it great value for money... confortable and cozy.
I would definetely recommend Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse 2.

Room Tip: I chose the private room without street view, it was very good, for actually it has a window for nat...