“Excellent.”

Ranked #197 of 601 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had to write a review before checking out, really enjoyed our 3 nights here. Staff were very helpful and friendly, especially Tom. He gave us great advice about seeing Hanoi and provided us with a tour of Halong Bay. 10 minute walk from the lake and the pubs and bars. Really great service, we didn't expect our room to be cleaned every day and they sorted us out with a motorbike as well. Would highly recommend. Hopefully be back for another stay at some point in the future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The staff is really nice and cared very good about us. We also booked the Halong bay trip at the hotel and we had a good feeling with it. The breakfast is included but nothing special. Only issue was that the butter wasn't good anymore and smelled disgusting.

2 Thank kalikiano-h1
Reviewed November 13, 2012

first night we arrived in hanoi we stayed in a hotel recommended by our minivan driver. the rooms were dirty and staff not very friendly so we decided to look for 'hanoi lucky guesthouse' recommended by the lonely planet. we immediately understood why.. the lady at the desk was very friendly and showed us a nice and clean room. we stayed there for 2 nights. hanoi is a very busy city but in the room it was quiet so we had a good night sleep. in the morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast with sandwich and eggs.. yammy !
after a 2 day tour in halong bay we ended up in hanoi again and went back to the guesthouse. we were 'lucky' as there was still 1 room available. the day after, it was my birthday and by evening they brought me a small cake and sang happy birthday for me :-)
we had a really great time ! thank you marry, peter and anh !

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Im going to be honest, i don't write a whole lot of reviews but my stay at Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse definitely deserves one. The manager, Tom, was one of the most helpful and resourceful people I have ever met. Upon arrival he immediately showed me where to go, how to get there and gave me some much needed tips on how to avoid scams (which do occur). I was truly amazed at how much Tom really cares about making sure his guest get the best experience in Vietnam. He is very well connected and can great deals on tours to Halong Bay, Sapa, Nihn Binh, Mai Chau, wherever. He'll make sure his guests don't paying the typical tourist premium when these tours are booked directly with the travel agents.

The location is right the heart of the old quarter and walkable to Ho Chi Min and Hoa Lo Prison (although cabs are only about $2 or so). Although the rooms are a little basic they are pretty modern and very clean. The location and most importantly the hospitality, truly make for the true experience I was seeking in Vietnam.

Los Ángeles, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was there during this September.
They were great to me and most helpful.
While I was there I had a medical emergency and they spent a whole morning taking me to doctors and working as a spontaneous translators.
They helped a lot of and I am really grateful 4 that.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Uli548
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had done a lot of research to find just the right place for our time in in Hanoi. I used Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor for recommendations, and decided to book Hanoi Guesthouse. The address in the Lonely Planet guide was incorrect - Hanoi Guesthouse actually moved to another location (85 Ma May Street) and in its place is now Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse (the two are not related). Only after we had checked in to Lucky did we realize that it was the wrong location. we didn't know how far away the Hanoi Gueshouse was and we were hot and tired, so reluctantly decided to stay and give the place a chance. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy our stay there and by the end couldn't wait to leave. Mary and the staff were extremely pushy about trying to sell their trips and make some commission on us, we weren't interested at all and made that clear on more than one occasion. They didn't mind their own business, instead hovered and bothered us when we used the computers to do our own research on Halong Bay or Sapa tours. In short, it was not relaxing and they were annoying. To make matters worse, when we had decided to book a specific Halong Bay tour company on our own rather than using theirs, and finally gave in to their offer to help us by calling the company for us, they ended up screwing us over and put us on one of their tours afterall, which we didn't realize until we were on the bus out. Totally ticked us off. Ugh, we should have known better :( The room was not great, dark with not a lot of natural light, musty. Not very clean and there was mold in the bathroom and no hot water. Breakfast was disappointing, baquette with jam.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle E
Kathmandu
Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are looking for a quiet chilled out place then this would be ideal. Peter and Mary will do all they can to help you. The rooms are clean and comfortable and have a TV which was good for when the streets get too much. We booked the Halong Bay trip with them and it was great, no problems. On our return from the trip we were leaving for Saigon that night, when collecting our bags they gave us towels and allowed us to shower and freshen up before the long journey. I would say their laundry service is a little expensive, 2 dollars per KG, everywhere else seems to be 1, I know it's not much money but it adds up when you giving 10kg's. I would definitely recommend this guest house.

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony which was really nice for breakfast so I would suggest asking for it.