“Tourist trap”

Ranked #63 of 2,472 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Countryside Cooking class Includes : -Market visit-Demonstration,practice and tasting-Learn to cook 3 dishes per day-Recipe-English speaking Chef trainer-Lunch/Dinner Free Tea or coffee Set Menu of Cooking Class : 1:Green papaya salad with spicy beef 2:Hanoi spring rolls 3:Stir friend chicken with lemongrass and chili
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I am so sorry to write such a review as the first time we came for lunch, the food was good (snakehead fish was absolutely amazing - and very fresh as they sent the waiter to buy one). I have to admit I was really surprise this kind of "restaurant/cooking class located in the old quarter with a so long dish list" would serve amazing food. I was in a rush as I had just 30 minutes for lunch because of business meeting and didn't feel in the mood for Pho or Bun.
We therefore return for dinner one week later. Has been a disaster.
First we ordered a salad (which came with only beef and onions - 3 or 4 missing main ingredients, announced on the menu and staff still tried to convinced me there were some).
Second dish was absolutely not what was described neither and the last dish was really bad.
I am a foodie. I really have a passion for food and I can eat everything especially when I am hungry, even though it is just correct. This is one of the first time in my life I took one mouthful and left the rest of the dish. We asked whether they change cook. They didn't. Bad food, bad faith of the staff. Never again!

2  Thank Mae M
anton p, Manager at Countryside Cooking Class & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Our guest,
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your recent experience. I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you were left with a poor impression of us. This is not what you or we had envisioned for your experience with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of our team in Countryside .
But part of our cooking classes, we strive hard to bring our customers the feel and the best time to re-set our future.
we will try to upgrade the quality of services as well as food to bring the best value to our customers and when you come back to us

Feedback such as yours allows us to discover how we can be better in the future. Please rest assured that we will continue to work diligently at providing a great guest experience and we hope that at some point in the future you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate this to you.

We are looking for welcome you again at our restaurant !

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This was a great cooking class. We did our research in the area and found this the best value for money! It was fantastic seeing the markets and the cooking was good fun with the little uniforms. The only complaint was that we cooked very basic things where we would have preferred more complex. But that's just personal preference. Delicious and colourful food. Good time

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this cooking class and it was well worth it. Huan took us to the market and explained to us where all of the ingredients come from and what dishes to use them in. The three courses were amazing and we learnt a lot. We were able to participate, watch and learn. We received a free bottle of water, and ate our meals down stairs in the restaurant. It was such a pleasant experience. Now we have VERY full bellies and another great memory to add to the many others.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had fried frog in the restaurant. It is not like the one we had in china but also deliciously! It is one of the dished we tried in the food on foot tour.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I'm surprised that this restaurant isn't busier than it is - it must be the location, because the food is decent and the service is reasonably attentive. They have a pretty large menu and the food is prepared well and seasoned just right. Portions are typical Vietnamese-sized, so if you're a westerner, you may need to order a side-dish. I've never seen a local eating here, though their food is quite authentic and I'd go back again. Prices are quite reasonable, too, and staff speaks good English.