“Good but Could be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Perfume Pagoda

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Sydney
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but Could be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

A moving experience yes but the bueaty has been overtaken by the hawkers, take the sky chair and dont waste energy on the walk

Visited April 2013

• Vietnamese first
Singapore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Filth and cruelty to animals”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have rarely seen a more dirty place than the way up to this pagoda. Its full of nasty restaurants selling rotten meat of protected animals. Even worse there is a lot of cruelty to animals. The Vietnamese sell live game in tiny cages, and nobody seems to care. This reflects so negatively upon the country. How can they allow this? I was totally disgusted by the Perfume pagoda which does not live up to its name. There is nothing perfume-like, not a spiritual place, but lot of tackiness and filth. The only nice thing was the boat ride for which - however - they tried to cheat us by overcharging.
Avoid the place.

3 Thank RingoKringo
Zurich, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Cheating ticket-sellers, filthy path, serene pagoda”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Firstly, when we arrived at the boat quay the ticket counter was not clearly indicated and local touts tried to sell over-priced boat tickets. Luckily we found the official ticket counter (where the price was half, but no English signboard - so how would other tourists find it...?)
Secondly, the ride on the boat was pleasent with lovely landscape. The arrival was less pleasent to say only the least. Filthy, stinky restaurant selling dirty meat like porcupine, rat, deer etc. Really disgusting. The path up to the pagoda was not much different. It is lined with ramshackle shops where they even sold squirrels in tiny nets where they had not place to move and were tangled in. What a shame for country and people who allow this happen!
From the cable car you have a nice view though the glass was blurred and the station very dirty, full of litter. The pagoda itself was very nice.

1 Thank Victoriaselena
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Culture shock”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

In an attempt to escape the madness of Hanoi, my friend and I booked a day trip through our hotel (hanoi legacy). Our guide was polite and friendly, although gave us no information at all during the tour, and he stopped the bus on the way back to have his shoes fixed while we waited in the bus. The worst thing of all was the experience of walking from the boat to the pagoda. The waterside was lined with stalls displaying the carcasses of deer, porcupine, dogs and a variety of other beasts. Some out in the open air. Our guide, seemingly unaware that we we might consider this macabre, gave us no warning of this or even attempted to discuss the local culture. In fact he claimed not to know what type of animals they were. There were so many things wrong with this tour it is too hard to include them. The other poor reviews adequately describe this tour to avoid.

3 Thank Joanne C
Ottawa, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“So Much Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Basically, this day should have been amazing, but instead was just alright. I live in Hanoi and really wanted to get out of the city for a day. So I went to a tour booking place in the Old Quarter and booked a tour for $23. I didn't really care so much about the guide, I just wanted to be in a comfy van there and back and have a decent lunch.
We left an hour late and the guide refused to pick me up on my (very central) street. Whatever. We made it, the boat ride there and back was amazing. That alone was worth the price. If I can make a recommendation; go there, and take the cable car both ways. I took it up and then walked down.
Basically the walk down was crap. I was expecting a nature walk but it was stuffed with people selling dollar store trash and watching Vietnamese soap operas and taking pictures of the white girl. As well the path was extremely slippery and dangerous, and tarp covered. Anyway, it would have been a great day if I had've just jumped on the cable car. Lesson learned.
As for the pagoda itself, it is seriously amazing. Even if it is crowded, it was still really really cool. Basically, the government needs to get a real tourism operation happening and clean this place up, because it could be incredible.

1 Thank susanr0se