“Picture perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake of the Restored Sword (Hoan Kiem Lake)

Lake of the Restored Sword (Hoan Kiem Lake)
Book In Advance
Ranked #11 of 274 things to do in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A rare breed of turtle enjoys this popular lake almost as much as countless locals and tourists. Hoan Kiem Lake is a dynamic daily tableau, from morning walks amid locals doing exercises on the shore, to young couples water-gazing on park benches, to the multiple shopping and sight-seeing opportunities in the vicinity. Centrally located in the city, Hoan Kiem Lake serves as a massive home base, and provides endless people-watching and recreational opportunities on the edge of the Old Quarter.
Los Angeles, California, United States
161 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Picture perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I walked all the way around this lake and onto the island at sunset. Plenty of people were doing the same but it never felt crowded. It is an easy walk with plenty to see and some wonderful vistas. Impossible to take a bad photograph of the decompression chamber in Hanoi.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Be careful with thieves, please!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hi everybody,
I'm Vietnamese student and I was born in Hanoi. I love my hometown so much especially Hoan Kiem lake. This lake is a peaceful symbol of Hanoi. I love walking around the lake with my friends. I always want to show everybody the beauty of this lake and hope many people come there to visit. Please understand that I don't want to make a bad image of it. but, Today I walked around the lake and I saw some terrible things that I really want to warn all tourists who will visit there. I don't know how to share my warning to foreigner tourists so I post there. When we were walking, my friend went to the public toilet at the lake ( in my following picture). While we were waiting for her, we saw some thieves were trying to steal foreigner tourist's assets. One man pretended to sell souvenirs, aimed to distract the tourists and the other man tried to open the tourist's bag and stole things. Their area is at this public wc and foreigners are their objects. I witness a tourist wore a bag at his back and didn't know that the thief was opening his bag. I was really shocked when I saw that terrible thing was happening in front of my eyes. We thought that they are in a crowded thief group so many people near that WC saw that but didn't say anything, maybe they are accomplices. Others didn't dare to help because they're afraid of that those thief would hit them. So we tried to warn as many tourists as we could on the way around the lake. I was very sad because of that, it's the 1st time I saw those things happen at Hoan Kiem lake, and don't know how to help other tourists who visit my hometown. We thought about talking with securities but maybe it will not help much, the securities maybe know but don't do anything. So people who will visit there, please put your bag in front of you and take care of it. Be careful when you visit there. Enjoy your trip:). Hope that you love Hanoi :). Thank you so much!

2 Thank NgThao
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Peaceful Lake in the heart of the chaos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Interesting Lake situated and surrounded by the chaos of Hanoi, temple situated on the lake too along with beautiful decorations.

We were there over lunar new year which added to the occasion

On the south side there is restaurant perfect to relax and watch the city buzz

1 Thank Oliver H
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth a walk around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

It is a nice walk around the lake to have a look at the buildings surrounding it. Plenty of areas to sit down and have a break either on a bench by the lake or one of the many cafes.

Visited January 2013
“Fresh air and nice walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Great atmosphere in the early morning once many people coming around. Walked two circles of lake was amazing.