“Bad Hotel”

Ranked #250 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
London, United Kingdom
“Bad Hotel”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I have been travelling around the world for a year now and have stayed in many hotel/hostels, good & bad around the world. But this is the only one I have felt I needed to review. After thinking we were offer a reasonable price for a room with the perk of a pool we thought we had a good deal, but we were wrong. The staff were rude and unable to help with our general questions, but more interested in selling us there tours.

The final straw was after our room was cleaned a pair of trainers miraculously disappear from the
bathroom. After asking the boss at reception if they had been removed from the room or maybe thrown away by mistake, she offered no help, insinuated I was lying. After asking a second time to check with her cleaning staff, she got aggressive and then basically laughed in my face.

The only option was to move to another hotel down the road, as we didn't feel safe leaving our belongs there or if we had any other problems arise we could not go to them. On leaving she refused to speak to us or make eye contact, only to give us an amount for the room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Philippines
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I normally check Trip Advisor before choosing a hotel, unfortunately this time the hotel was selected by our meeting organizer. Our group was international and the feedback I heard from colleagues was unanimous : this hotel was not a good choice. I heard complaints about inefficiency of service, quality of bed, absence of hot water, clogged washbasin, lack of internet connection,etc. They even moved at least two persons in our group to other rooms in the middle of our stay at very awkward times, and did some technical repairs while a couple was still in the room. The hotel may have had some old charm years ago but how could it gone whe retain any charm when you experience the above.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Papawombat

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Bourg la Reine, France
Reviewed August 17, 2010

In 2 days the service disappointed me four times. When we arrived they had downgraded my reservation, we had to negotiate to had a better room. The concierge was not able to tell me where to develop the film of my disposable camera. When my colleague called the reception to join me, she was told that I had checked out of the hotel, while I am staying the week. Finally I checked "Iron only" on the laundry sheet and was billed for "Washing + Ironing" service.
On the plus side: the location is very good, I had a nice and large room, everything is clean, wifi is free (like everywhere in Hanoi). The old building has character, history and is not too large. Soundproofing against street noise is inefficient. The restaurant serves only buffet breakfast, lunch (€5) and dinner (€6) at reasonable prices for the convenience and quality*quantity.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank minh_ha_duong
boc
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Hotel was very clean. Service was very good. Affordable price. Many shops around. I really enjoyed my 6day stay at this hotel. I recommend this hotel for my friends.

Ranaweera Siripala
rasiri@boc.lk

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank kottawa
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed in the Hoa Binh hotel in Feb 08 on a tour of SEA, booked into us by Travel Indochina. Pls don't read other reviews that are about Hoa Binh Palace Hotel - they are quite different. Don't ever stay here - the rooms were a bit musty. luckily we didn't have a room facing the street, because the noise and pollution would have been terrible. The breakfast was uninspiring and a rip off. The buffet dinner was also very overpriced, as was the internet at the business centre.

My major bug with this place was with a mobile phone left in the room. I rang them up a couple hours later and arranged for it to be sent home, however I never received it. They did not reply to any further e-mails requesting further information!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed May 7, 2009

This a 3 Star Hotel in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, only a few minutes walk from Hoan Kiem Lake and the Water Puppet theatre.
We booked a double room which was quite small and dark, however, we upgraded to a superior room for an extra $20US which gave us a room that was approx double the size with a spa bath.
Provided you can manage crossing the streets with the constant stream of cars, buses and motor bikes you are in a very central location for shopping, tour offices, cafes, bars and restaurants.
Would recommend it as a good mid range hotel option.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank bobw2046
UK
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I liked how the hotel seemed older - it gave it some character. The room had two tellies which I was impressed by, a lovely swish bathroom.

I asked to use ADSL from the room (which had a charge) but it didn't work. I managed somehow to get wireless internet though.

Breakfast was sufficient.

One more thing - the minibar in the room actually had decent prices. $1 for a 500ml Hanoi beer. It was a nice change! :)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business