“Make sure you get the REAL Manh Dung!”

and 1 more site!
Manh Dung Guest house
Ranked #107 of 639 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2011

When I was backpacking with my mother in 2007 we were conned into staying at a different hotel than the one we'd originally organized. We had come overnight on the train from China. Though we enjoyed our first hotel well enough (over near the waterpuppet theatre on Hang Be) we were wanting something a little smaller and quieter. We found Mahn Dung in our guidebook, took a wander over, and immediately fell in love with it!

As a warning (don't say I didn't warn you if you get stuck at the wrong one!) this is a popular guest house and has been copied/cloned. Other places use their name but this is the REAL DEAL! Mahn Dung has 2 locations, both booked through the one off of Hang Bong. It's been a while, and i don't remember the name of the alley/street, but if you look on googlemaps you WILL NOT SEE IT! The alley doesn't show up, nor does the guest house. Trust me, it IS there. My mother and father are heading back to Vietnam this May and have booked to stay there again because we enjoyed it so much.

The front desk staff are so very helpful, the rooms are clean and have whatever you need in terms of basics. There is a computer in the lobby to use, and the staff are more than willing to help you find flights, book them, and get you to the station/airport or pick ups included. We did not book our Halong Bay trip through them so I cannot comment on what their trips are priced as, but I can only say that we thoroughly LOVE staying there, hence why my mother is taking my father there 4 years later. It is not a fancy hotel, but it is a clean bed, a very friendly staff, AND there was a woman who had a hair salon across from the main guest house. I highly recommend getting a trim (though be VERY CLEAR about how much you want trimmed... I got a weeeee bit too much taken off!) just because of the incredible head massage you get with it!

Remember, you're in Vietnam. There ARE glamourous hotels there, but they are not necessary if you are comfortable with basic living. The best part of Hanoi is walking the different streets (jay walking too!), and the different food that is incredible! Everyone is friendly. We even stopped at a little 'restaurant' on the side of the street and were greeted by a couple of Vietnamese business men who spoke some english, and helped us order our dinner. Just roll with the punches and you'll enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank globalchiro

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Genuine, friendly no-nonsense service at this great little hotel tucked away in the Old Quarter. I was made to feel like one of the family during my stay and found the information provided by the staff to be both helpful and insightful. The Halong Bay trip I booked there was good value and I wouldn't change anything apart from the weather. Big thumbs up!

1  Thank mhunter7012
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I've spent 4 nights in total in this hotel located in a very central location (Hanoi Old Quater). They have rooms reasonably priced, with rates varying according to the service you're sicking (e.g. the rooms with en-suite bathroom are a bit more expensive but still quite competitive compared to what you would get in other hotel of similar standard). The hotel has a lift, which came very handy for carrying bags all the way up to higher floors (5 in total). But I would say that the thing making the difference with other hotels in the same area is the people working there. First of all, I was greeted with a nice hot cup of tea, which was great after arriving in busy Hanoi. The other great thing is the amount of useful information the staff provides you with, preventing you from wasting time and money. E.g. Ms Thom at the reception desk was able to offer the right tours (at the right price) that would best fit my busy schedule in my short stay in Hanoi. Guest can also order good breakfast in the morning, which again will save you time, so that you can see every Hanoi's sights. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a clean and friendly place, run by helpful and knowledgeable people!

1  Thank TucoParis
Reviewed January 18, 2011

for a traveller, Hanoi is more than a little crazy city upon arrival, you just want to hide in a cafe and absorb it all what is going on in the old quarter, then take out the guidebook and see where to stay the night... after wandering the streets for 2 hours, and looking at various places (in LonelyPlanet book), I stumbled into a small quiet nice alley in nice part of the old quarter, and met the very friendly and helpful Le and the hotel owner, who not only gave me a nice room to stay but helped with travels for the next week

all I had to do, and I'm on a moderate budget backpacking trip here, is to enjoy the various trips, got free motorbike rides to nice cafes, got free tea, coffee, even food snacks, all kinds of help, train bookings, even bookings, and lots of smiles

definitely stay here if there is room

Jacek

1  Thank travelmonkey2011
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The staff here are a whole new level of kind and helpful, especially the manager Ms Thom. While I was staying I felt very welcome like I had an extended Vietnamese family. The internet is free and the staff brought you tea while you were typing away. The place is located down a small backstreet but it doesnt feel unsafe at all. The location has no stunning views as a result of being down a backstreet but is a good location for the lake and shopping etc, only about 10-15mins walk, 5 if your all legs like me. The only thing that disturbed my sleep while I was here was my German room mate who woke up at the crack of dawn, and decided he was watching Deutsche Welle even if i was asleep.
When I stayed Hanoi was unusually cold so I didnt do any tours but you can book all the tours galore here as well as bus,train and air tickets.

In conclusion, a very friendly and welcoming place to stay and I would definately stay here again next time im in Hanoi

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Like many places in Hanoi, there's not much in a name. There may be 100 Sinh Travel and the like, and, evidently, there are two Manh Dung Guest Houses. To make sure you find the right one, refer solely to the address.

Using Hanoi as a base over the past two weeks, I have stayed in Manh Dung GH (on No. 2 Tam Thoung) on three occasions. The woman who runs the GH - Thom - has proven extremely helpful and sympathetic, as, on two occasions, I arrived before the sun was up. Regardless if a room was available (she wasn't sure the first time until later in thee day), the shudders were opened and I was welcomed inside. This time around - again, another pre-sunrise arrival - I was able to let a converted room for half a day as I was taking an overnight train.

Most rooms are reasonably priced at $10 and come with en suite bath and one or two beds. All have a window. I came here initially due to their location in a mostly quiet alley in an otherwise noisy city. Very conveniently located in the old quarter, walking distance to just about everything. I will say that the $15 rooms (I couldn't tell much of a difference, seemed a few dollars overpriced).

Thom can also book tours and tickets of any variety. I used her this morning for my overnight train to Hue and her commission - only $2 - was very fair. English is spoken at Manh Dung and if my treatment has been any indication, you'll probably come back again. Evidently, there is another Manh Dung that has a less than stellar reputation so always go by the address!

Reviewed January 4, 2011

The Manh Dung guesthouse is lovely at first glance, the staff are friendly and accommodating, the rooms are spacious, and the lobby provides room to chill out and chat to other guests. However the people running the place are determined to scam guests out of their money. We were looking to travel from Hanoi to Luang Prabang, but had previously discovered that there was no direct mode of transport through a safe border crossing, and that all buses went straight to Vientiane. We told the staff our problem and they insisted that they could sell us a bus ticket that would take us directly to Luang Prabang, and that a mini van would pick us up the next day. However, a man arrived the next day who told us that he would take us by moto to the bus with our heavy bags which didn't seem like a safe option so we ended up paying for a taxi to where the bus was supposed to be. It turned out the bus was a long walk away from where we were told and we ended up having to wait for over an hour for the bus. To top it all off, the bus didn't go to Luang Prabang, it stopped in Vientiane where another man told us he would take us to Luang Prabang for an extortionate fee. Basically, we had massively overpaid for a bus to Vientiane and couldn't do much about it.

Bottom line: Don't take the risk and find another hotel. By the looks of the other reviews some people have been very lucky!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple