“It's a great great great place'”

and 1 more site!
Manh Dung Guest house
Ranked #92 of 601 Hanoi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“It's a great great great place'”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We did stay in this hotel since 28th April 2011.It was busy time because VietNamese People started traveling.We were very happy to stay at ManhDung Guesthouse.The Staff is very friendly and helful.They did their best to look after Customers.Of course,Travellers are good people and bad people mixing.But the staff are always smiling and helpful even they met some crazy people.We sat in the living room to use Internet and We saw many customers who behaved badly.They came to ask the room and We saw They did ask discount from 1 or 2 usd.They said they will put in lonely plan net if the Guesthouse not give them discount.They booked the tours when it is very busy time.The Hotel tried very hardly to get the good tickets .When They got tickets They very happy.Because They could not get tickets at the train,bus station even not at black market.They should thank to the Hotel because They got tickets for them.When They finish the trip They tried to make money from This Hotel.They said if the Hotel not give money back for them they would write to lonely plan net,all the guide books.We knew that story from some not good heart customer because We always sat in the living room near the receptionist desk to drink and use Internet.We also booked many trips from this hotel but We were satisfy with the quality and price what We paid.We also understood that that time were busy time because there were too man Vietnamese people who traveling.The tickets were higher price even double.But It is normal.We would not behave rude like many people whom We saw at the Living Room of the hotel.But We also saw many happy Customes when We stayed at that hotel,too.The staffs who got many tips from Customers because they did good services.We will recommend to Our Friends to this hotel.

Room Tip: You should get the room with window and balcony
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James_goober

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sheffield UK
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This hotel is a NIGHTMARE - I am shocked anyone has given this hotel a good review! I am travelling for ten months with my boyfriend so have experienced some various levels of comfort - this has to be the worse by far!!!!!!! Firstly the staff are smiling assasins and only want one thing from you and that is all your money without actually providing you with a service! We were told to check in at 11am and when we arrived we were told to sit and wait for our room to be ready. Over two hours later we were told by the staff slurpig on the meals next to us that our room was now ready - how they knew this was anyones guess as they had not moved from the sofa all morning or spoken to the cleaners but once we were in the room it was clear that whatever had taken the cleaners over two hours was NOT cleaning our room. The bed was unmade and was clearly used from the previous guest / guests!!! The pillows had grease marks on and smelt really bad and there was hairs in the unmade bed. The bathroom still had the soap that was used from the previous guest and they had left their disposable razor on the glass shelf. We were also advised not to use the bathroom sink as the tap didn't work so we had to use the bath tap instead to wash our hands. We had agreed a price of $12 per night and had booked and paid for three so we were stuck!!!! We were told that we would get air con included but after we checked in we were told that would be at an extra cost even though we had double checked this before we had agreed the price. When we asked for fresh bedding three women came and stripped the bed, they brought in new sheets and when they opened them they quickly closed them as they were also dirty and went to get some more. The new sheets were dirty and smelly too so I eventually opted to sleep on my sleeping bag and travel pillow as the smell made me feel sick from their bedding. The fridge in our room had a lot of smelly mould inside so we couldn't use that at all and the tv wasn't great but improved slightly after I retuned it. The staff ( females ) tried to be overly friendly with the male guests (husbands & boyfriends included ) so overall I really would say do not stay here - there are so many other options!!!! To give a 100% fair review I will say that they do have an elevator which is a plus and the location is good for the old town but they really are the only nice things I can say :(

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Fisherwoman28

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Each smile there....has his price!!!
They will look iony to sell you tours at the highest price they can get from you...and you will pay almost twice of the market price!!!!
They will tell you stories about that you need to hurry because there is no more place in order not to enable you to take the time and check... Specially if you will be in hurry to leave the same day.
Nice service and smiles, Very good english... But only till you have bought tours and at double price!!!!
In this guesthouse, yoy pay for every smile.
Don't go there! Or check every things qnd don't believe their explanations!!!!

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank pob4573
Hanoi
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Good located quiet place with very friendly and good english speeking staff. Thee rooms are a little bit small, but a good value.
We felt absolutely comfortable! No rip-off like at other places I have been in Vietnam!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heinz83
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Manh Dung Guest house was a great place to stay. The staff was very friendly, they were more than willing to accomodate our late arrival to the guesthouse, and made sure we got the best deals on transportation in Vietnam, as well as hotels and guesthouses in other cities.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mattwheatley
Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 6, 2011

The staff were nice... or rather too nice. They were extremely overzealous... They had everything to offer, and wanted to know your every move in order to try to sell what you were looking for. The price of the room kept changing (especially when you say you want to leave...)

The room was very dark. If we opened the blinds, were were about two meters from the house in front of us. It was also very cold (the sun never reaches down this small street), and no AC.

It was generally quiet, however in the morning many bikes honk on the street below, so don't expect to sleep in.

The internet almost never worked (they blamed it on the new year, but it worked everywhere else).

It's located on an small street in the old quarters, about 5 minutes from the north of the lake.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank VuattouxR
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I visited Hanoi recently and was unlucky to land here before 6.00 a.m. having arrived on the overnight train from Sapa. I had a 2009 copy of Lonely Planet and I had not seen this BAD report.
The owner ,when he opened at 6.00 , was in fact very friendly. Told me I should have rang the bell, he would have a room but off course it was too early . He offered me some tea in the kitchen. We had a "casual" chat about how many days I was going to spend travelling and I told him what my rough plans were. He disappeared back downstairs and within FIVE minutes his "girl" had landed beside me with her diary complete with the knowledge I had casually exchanged with him. She proceeded to list out day by day were I should go, Halong Bay , Perfume pagoda etc. All the places I had said I might be interested in visiting. She told me that with TET coming up all tour companies will be closed and it will be impossible to book anything. All this at 6.30 in the morning after 8-9 hours on an overnight train journey.
In the end I didn't stay at this Guesthouse I was so angry, so I cannot vouch for the accommodation good or bad. But it is one of those small Hotels LP warns about which are more interested in selling tours.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo