“No reason to stay here. Avoid.”
Review of Hilton Hanoi Opera

Ranked #91 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Dallas
“No reason to stay here. Avoid.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Location is not good. Rooms are humid to the extent that my bed felt slightly wet when I laid on it. Old warn carpet in room. Room felt dark and gloomy. Staff average for a Hanoi hotel. Lobby is beautiful and piano player in evening was great. However, this place is advertised as a 5 star hotel. This place is no where near the caliber of either Sofitel or The Intercontinental. My room at the Angel Palace Hotel was much, much nicer and cost less than a third of what the Hilton Opera cost me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank EggDoctor
HiltonHanoiOpera, General Manager at Hilton Hanoi Opera, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear EggDoctor,

While I am delighted to hear that you found our Lobby to be ‘beautiful’ and our piano player to be ‘great’, I have taken note of your candid feedback so that we may enhance our guest experience.

EggDoctor, we are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future to experience this for yourself as and when the occasion permits.

Yours sincerely,

Hilton Hanoi Opera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hilton Opera is what Hilton stands for: Functional, standardized rooms, everything works, not bad surprises. The friendliness of the staff is exceptional. Breakfast buffet offers a wide choice of Asian and Western choices, lunch buffet is extraordinary in taste and quality. Overall, good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonHanoiOpera, General Manager at Hilton Hanoi Opera, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience after your stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

While we strive hard to exceed the expectations of our guests, it is always a delight to receive such positive comment.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of being able to welcome you back “home” upon your next visit.

Until the occasion permits

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days during our honeymoon. Its a very old building and the lobby looks really nice but the guest room floors have a musty smell, they haven't been remodeled, beds are just ok, and the room felt humid the whole time. The staff were very nice but the location isn't that great and it really needs a revamp to keep up with other hotels in its category. The breakfast is decent. We did a meet a really nice staff person in the concierge lounge and had a great coversation with her. The food in the lounge isn't that great though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PreilavTravels
Dear PreilavTravels,

Thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor subsequent to your recent stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

As we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests' expectations, we were disappointed to find that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that occurred.

I am concerned that we were unable to truly live up to your expectations, but delighted to apprise you of the fact that the points mentioned in your comments are being considered but thank you for your comments about our very nice staff and decent breakfast.

PreilavTravels, I hope we get another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Hanoi Opera in the near future.

Until the opportunity permits,

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This location itself is very pretty. It is located in a nice part of town and has beautiful architecture. But the rooms are a bit outdated and not at all what I'd expect from Hilton. The staff was nice, but we had difficulty communicating with the concierge, usually a position in which the staff member has the highest communication skills.

They did help me arrange tours, which were well-done, including one to Halong Bay.

It's safe, but I'm not 100% sure I'd make it my first choice hotel if I return to Hanoi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TravelingProducer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor response after your recent visit.

I am delighted that you found our location to be ‘pretty’ along with commenting on the hotel’s beautiful architecture.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.

Until time permits,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had returned to Hanoi after a 5 year gap and Hilton Hanoi Opera is my default hotel whenever I come Hanoi in the past. However, after this stay, most likely I will try another hotel (possibly even the Hilton Garden Inn..)

The Hotel continue to serve good breakfast, plenty of good restaurant and the staff are attentive.

However, it seem the hotel infrastructure had not been updated for the past 5 years!. In this era of Smart Phone and Tablet, the is no WIFI for normal rooms! What a joke! (Even Hanoi Garden Inn offer free WIFI through-out the hotel). It can be forgiven if no WIFI is offer due to outdated IT, but what about a portable wireless router? When I call the "Magic" helpdesk asking for WIFI.. the curt reply is your room is a Deluxe room and there is NO WIFI, only Executive floor has WIFI. They are kind enough to put me to the front desk and the gentleman at the front desk repeated the same message Deluxe room has NO WIFI. It is only after I told them who should I complain to so that I can get my WIFI before they offer to upgrade me to the Executive floor and he has to REMIND me, I will not be entitled to the Executive Floor privileges. BIG DEAL??

The Aircon in this Hotel is terrible.. From my original room on 3rd floor to the executive room on the 6th floor, the Aircon is (1) NOISY (2) Not cold even when the thermostat is switch to 5deg. C and full blast!

Last but not least, the BED! When was the last time the Hotel replaced the mattress? I cannot believe it when I can feel the Spring poking against me when I lay on my side! This could't be right as I am only 80kg on a 180cm frame..

Room Tip: You need to complain to get WIFi !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Chik Kheng L
Dear Chik Kheng L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review subsequent to your recent visit to our hotel. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Please rest assured that we have taken note of your candid feedback so that we may enhance our guest experience.

Again, we do apologise for the inconvenience and would hope that you will visit Hilton Hanoi again so that we can restore your faith in us or the recently opened Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi.

Until the opportunity permits,

MALAYSIA
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The building from the outside looks spectacular & blends in with the neighboring Hanoi Opera house. Both standing magnificent on this corner of this charming city north of Vietnam. I first visited the Hilton Hanoi 13 years ago. Then it was bright, sparkling & new. However, time takes away the shine. And this is true with this property. Wear & tear is present everywhere. I have to add that the level of service is still good and efficient. Breakfast adequate yet does not go beyond spectacular. I was on the Club Floor-the lounge needs a make over. The hotel appears to have a serious issue with their air conditioning system. Let’s all hope the owners will do the necessary before serious decay sets in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PeterKualaLumpur
Dear PeterKualaLumpur,

Welcome back and thank you for your candid comments on this website subsequent to your recent stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

Your insight and comments will be shared with all concerned to ensure we continue to fulfill and live up to the expectations of our discerning travelers.

PeterKualaLumpur, please rest assured that we are undergoing constant change within our hotel to improve the guest experience and I hope to be able to welcome you back ‘home’ in the future to experience this for yourself.

Once again, thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

Yours sincerely,

Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera. The staff were friendly & very helpful. Everyone was willing to offer suggestions for places to see and specific stores if you were in need of something specific. The hotel is also in a good location. Our only complaint was the A/C didn't work very well in our room. I complained to the staff and they said that other guests had the same complaint and there was nothing they could really do except offer a fan for the room. We got the fan and that did help a lot- but in general the room felt a little stuffy and sticky. I suspect water damage in this hotel as well- there were obvious discolorations in the carpets and the overall humidity of each floor was weird too. It also appeared that some floors of the hotel had new carpet. We had access to the executive lounge and thank god for that because that is the only place where the A/C was actually functional and felt good. We had breakfast here every morning and it was fabulous. They also have an afternoon tea-which wasn't much, some cookies and drinks and then they had like a happy hour in the evening. The food in the evening was usually a weird assortment of things and was sometimes a recipe for G.I. discomfort. I agree with other posters on here that the hotel is in need of an update-especially the rooms. It looks like the restaurants have been updated and are very pretty (overpriced food though).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sara W,

While we will continuously strive to improve the individual and overall guest experience, your constructive comments on our product offer are sincerely appreciated. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you appear to have encountered.

Sara W, feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of services and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Hanoi Opera in the near future.

Until time permits,