“If first impressions really count, then this doesn't deserve my rating ...”
Review of Hilton Hanoi Opera

Ranked #94 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Melbourne
“If first impressions really count, then this doesn't deserve my rating ...”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip to Hanoi. I was travelling with a work colleague - a male, while I am a female.

Upon check in, the receptionist's automatic assumption was that we were sharing a room. We corrected her and stated that I would be checking in separately. She dealt with my colleague first, and upon checking his details, noted that due to his loyalty program status, he'd been given a free upgrade to the Executive floor. The staff member then said that part of this service was private check in on the Executive floor, and proceeded to collect an armload of papers, and walk away from the desk. I stayed put. When she asked why I wasn't coming too, I pointed out that I was checking in to my own room. This seemed to fluster her a little and she handed over my colleagues paperwork to her manager and stayed to check me in. This process involved telling me I was in a standard room and hence all the services I did NOT receive. When I was told there was no free wireless service in the standard rooms, I asked how much it was to enable this, as I needed to access my work emails - she said the standard rooms just did not have wifi - but there was an internet cable for connection at an extra charge. I pointed out that my wireless device couldn't plug into a cable, and once again asked if there was any way to connect (my previous hotel in HCM city had free wifi in public areas). She said the only way was to upgrade to an Executive room.

By the time the process had been completed, I got to my room to find the baggage porter waiting with my suitcase, and my colleague calling my room, to ask me to join him for a drink in the Executive lounge, as he could invite a guest. I joined him there, and when being served a glass of wine, and being asked my room number, I was sternly told that I "have no benefits on this floor" - my colleague was happy for my drink to be charged to his room (his was complimentary), but I felt the tone and manner in which I was treated was uncalled for, particularly if guests are permitted to invite others to join them.

At breakfast the next morning, I discovered that there is indeed free wireless access in the public areas - and this became quite apparent by the number of people on iPads and smartphones skyping and surfing the internet in the large foyer area. This again I found frustrating as I felt the receptionist could so easily have told me this the night before, but was intent in upselling the executive room upgrade.

Other than this, the hotel is quite good. The location is next to the Opera house as the name would suggest, a short walk from the lake in central old Hanoi. The rooms are spacious (but quite sparsely furnished I felt), but with tiny windows. The bathroom has a bath and separate shower. The rooms are frequently serviced and all used toiletries, bottled water, towels and coffee/teas replenished. There are lots of TV stations on the wall mounted flat screen TV.
The bed is really comfortable and the room appeared to be sound proof as not a sound disturbed me during the night.

I used the fitness club on a couple of occasions. There's one room with some free weights, one with a multigym machine, and a larger room with several treadmills, bikes and steppers,and two large TVs. There's also a spa pool, and access to the outdoor swimming pool - which looked quite small for the size of the hotel, and I only ever saw one person use! Free towels are handed to you as you enter.

The breakfast service is provided in a very green restaurant area (as in colour), and includes a spread to satisfy most people - fruit, yoghurt, cereals, juices, hot Asian, sushi, hot Western, cold cuts, cheeses, a selection of breads and pastries to rival any bakery (and the croissants were very good), eggs cooked on demand, and also a cook to order Asian chef. However, the staff service was interesting - one waiter wanted to take my plate the moment I lifted a piece of toast from it to take a bite, and at other times it was impossible to get anyone's attention for more coffee, or to try and get replacement cutlery as the ones initially provided had been cleared away. We didn't have any other meals in the hotel, as the choice close by is extensive.

It's a shame that my stay here started off as it did. Certainly the location, service and facilities would please most business and leisure travellers, but I can't quite forget that whole check in experience. I wish I could give a rating of "good", as the Hilton is definitely better than average, but I've opted for "very good" - with obvious reservations.

Room Tip: Executive rooms come with lots of extra benefits
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CBMelbourne
HiltonHanoiOpera, General Manager at Hilton Hanoi Opera, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear CBMelbourne,

Thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor.

As we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests' expectations, we were disappointed to find that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay experience. Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken up most seriously to ensure a through refresher training is under taken with all Front Desk Team Members so that we may enhance our service standard and improve our offer. For your information, we do provide complimentary WiFi in all public areas of the hotel, including the restaurants.

Once again, thank you for your candid feedback which has enabled us to monitor and improve our service standards. We would like to have another opportunity to re-build your confidence and therefore provide to you the Hilton standard of service that you have come to expect of Hilton Hanoi Opera.

Hilton Hanoi Opera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Weather caused us to extend our stay by one day, so found others hotels fully booked and stayed at Hilton. I am a top-tier member with Hilton Honors program, so am very familiar with the company and their properties worldwide.

This hotel boasts a great location, next to Hanoi Opera House, Hanoi Stock Exchange and the old city. The service is top notch, they provide very good care for their guests. Like many Hilton properties in Asia, this one is showing wear and needs updating to justify the high price it commands. There are many nearby smaller brands that provide equivalent service and superior properties.

Again, a safe choice if faced with limited other options

• Stayed October 2012
Dear GoyoRico,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience after your recent stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

I am glad to hear that you found the location and service levels of our hotel to your satisfaction. We all have been trying our best to make ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

We do look forward to having the opportunity of being able to welcome you back ‘home’ when you next have reason to visit Hanoi.

Until opportunity permits,

Los Angeles
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We just spend 4 nights here and really appreciated the service and friendliness of the staff. Yes, the hotel is a bit tired, but very comfortable and a great location. The staff took very good care of us, to the point that they advised us about a trip to Sapa. Excellent place! Great breakfast!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lovesumba,

Thank you for your most generous review subsequent to your recent visit to Hanoi.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hilton Hanoi Opera. Please rest assured the essence of which has been shared with all of our Team Members.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Hanoi Opera in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed one night as in transit stop between flights. Stayed on Executive Floor. This is a good quality Hilton Hotel. Room was good size and had excellent facilities. Staff were well trained and provided excellent service. Easy access to all the central Hanoi attractions and safe to walk around.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank alanv4
Dear Alanv4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor response after your recent visit.

We look forward to welcoming you “home” upon your return to Hanoi.

Until then,

CevCev
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here on business. Excellent service throughout from reception to restaurant staff, chambermaids to porters and concierge. Unfortunately I left room in an awful mess as running late first night of stay. Returned later in the evening to find everything tidied away and turndown service. Agree that there is an excellent choice for breakfast. Perfect for business ( including sole travellers) and also first time visitors to Hanoi. One gripe would be the lack of wi-fi in bedrooms, Internet access is via cable and at an additional cost in basic rooms. Despite this highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you can afford the executive level rooms then additional cost would be worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonHanoiOpera, General Manager at Hilton Hanoi Opera, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear CevCev,

While we strive hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is always a delight to receive such positive comment. Please rest assured the details of which will be shared with all of our Team members. On a separate note, I am pleased to advise that complimentary WIFI access has been introduced 24/7 in our Lobby Lounge and in our restaurants. It is also available on a complimentary basis in our Executive Floor Lounge for our Executive Floor guests. This is in addition to being complimentary for our Diamond and Gold Hilton Hhonors guests.

We all look forward to being able to welcome you “back home” as and when your travels bring you back in this direction.

Newcastle
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We quite enjoyed this hotel, but would probably try somewhere else next time. Rooms were spacious and clean, and staff were very helpful. Pool was good but nothing fantastic, and the breakfast was good. Location was also very good. No complaints but no rave reviews either...

Room Tip: We had two adults and a child with a separate bed, and there was still plenty of room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nay and NathanV,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience after your stay at the Hilton Hanoi Opera.

I am delighted to hear that you found your room, our breakfast buffet and the attitude of our Team Members to be in line with your expectation which contributed to your enjoyable stay.
Nay and NathanV, if you have any further suggestions that you would like for us to action, I would be pleased to hear your comments.

I look forward to welcoming your family “back” to the Hilton Hanoi Opera in the not too distant future.

Until then,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

As you would expect from a Hilton Hotel the service, lobby and rooms were of a good standard.
The highlight was the amazing breakfast with so many choices to pick from.
The lowlight was that the pool was closed for 24 hours due to not being clean which really isn't acceptable from a 5 star hotel in a hot climate.
Overall the location was spot on and it was a good stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Stu H,

I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the lobby, guest room and service levels of the hotel to your satisfaction. Furthermore, I am delighted you had a very positive impression to our buffet breakfast. Please rest assured the essence of that will be shared with all of our Team members.

Stu H, your feedback with respect to the pool. I would like to share with you that our pool undergoes periodical maintenance to make sure the services we offer to our discerning travelers are at the best quality. In this instance, unfortunately the filter back wash got stuck while cleaning the pool which resulted in this incident. However, it is now repaired and fully functioned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Hanoi Opera.