“Good hotel in Hanoi”

Ranked #79 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good hotel in Hanoi”
Reviewed November 4, 2007

You can see my other review in the Sofitel. I stay at this hotel frequently as I travel to Hanoi on business several times a year so I stay here for weeks at a time. I have read some of the other reviews about the hotel being shabby and I am not really sure what they mean. The lobby is beautiful and I have stayed in a regular room before the renovations and the room was perfrectly fine. The beds are comfortable and the linens clean. The rug was a little old but it was nothing that really stood out to me. The furniture and light fixtures were all fine. The bathrooms also fine. They are full marble tiles with adequate sized sink to place toiletries and large mirror. Some rooms will have a stand alone, glass enclosed marble-tiled shower stall, others will have the tub with shower head and curtain. The bathrooms are actually really nice and I have never had any problems with the room decor, towels, linens, plumbing, etc. either on the unrenovated regular floors or on the renovated club floors. They do have floors specifically for smokers and I did stay on one of those floors (club level) this trip and I did not smell any smoke in my room, though at times you could smell some in the hall. The first night I was on a club floor non-smoking but underneath the kitchen of the club lounge so I could hear the staff at 5 am walking around preparing breakfast above me. I quick talk with management at breakfast that morning got me a new room, still at the club level, but on a smoking floor which was fine. The renovated rooms I think are nicer. There is new decor, new LCD TV, New desk, chairs amd some paint which updates the rooms nicely. The carpets were not changed, but again I never saw a problem with the carpets. They are not high-piled plush carpets, but they have always seemed fine to me.

The food and drinks in the hotel are extremely high-priced. You can easily walk outside the hotel down the road between the lakes and there are several better alternatives. Or take a walk around the smaller lake and there are other cheaper but still good restaurants. I only eat breakfast at the hotel since it is included or occasionally room service when I get back from the office late. Every year my employer brings groups of professors from top US-research universities(UIUC, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UCalifornia schools, University of Texas schools, Columbia, Princeton, Syracuse, etc) to work on various higher ed projects we have going on in Vietnam and we always stay at the Sofitel, club level. No one ever seems to have problems except for the occasional service issue. Quite a few of the professors get up early with their spouses and walk around the smaller lake. The Sofitel is a bit outside of the main part of Hanoi, though much quieter and of course it is really nice being by the lakes, but taxis are cheap and easy to come by to get just about anywhere and it is possible to walk to Ho Chi Minh tomb if you know how to get there. It is not a short walk but not a long walk either, though the extreme humidity and pollution of Hanoi might make it an uncomfortable walk. The breakfast is usually pretty good either at the club level or main lobby, but be warned the coffee is Vietnamese coffee which means it is thicker and much, much stronger than regular coffee, it takes some getting used to. Now Vietnamese coffee is all I drink because it has a faint chocolatey taste and it really is so good with adequate sugar and creamer, though the Vietnamese drink it only with sweetened-condensed milk. I bring kilos of it back to the states with me every trip. Overall the Sofitel is a nice hotel clean hotel. The bell staff and concierge are all wonderful and they all remember me every time I come back. I always enjoy my stay at the Sofitel and so do my colleagues and others that we bring to stay there. It's also good to remember that you are in Hanoi, not Hong Kong or Tokyo. Vietnam is still developing economically so they are not as "global" in service as a high-end hotel in the more developed Asian cities, but they do a great job and I have seen the hotel improve a lot over the years that I have been staying there so I imagine as Vietnam continues to develop and the hotels get used to the demands and needs of western tourists and business people their service will get better. I also should note I am a business traveler and while staying at the Sofitel I do see a mix of business people and tourists, though very few families with small children. A lot of airline staff stay there too as I frequently see western pilots (who fly for Vietnam air) in the lobby and elevators. And a few times heads of state from other countries (and their entourages) have stayed at the Sofitel at the same time as me. Some of my American colleagues have stayed at other similar hotels in Hanoi and like the Sofitel best. I've also heard the Hilton Opera is very nice. It is located in the central part of Hanoi right across from the Hanoi Opera house but they are higher priced than the Sofitel and would not negotiate a lower contract with us (we need government rates) so I've never stayed there though I hear it is very nice as I met some World Bank staff who were staying there (including the head of the World Bank).

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank kgaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We found this hotel to be a great choice. We had both room service for evening meals & also in the restaurant where you had a choice of sumptous buffet where you could choose your own meat or fish to be cooked by the chef whilst you watched. You could also dine A La Carte and again a great choice of food. All tastes were catered for with everything imaginable and beautiful quality & freshness. Breakfast was equally as good with all the choices of food and again the quality was excellent. Our room had a beautiful view over the West Lake, was spotlessly clean & restful after returning from a full day of sightseeing. The staff were very polite & helpful & spoke very good English. We stayed for 4 nights but could have stayed longer we enjoyed it so much. The other thing was we requested a non smoking floor & there were no traces of smoke to be smelt which was very pleasing.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Elizabethoz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2007

The hotel is currently undergoing rennovations - which they neglected to tell us when we booked and paid. The hotel rooms are extremely noisy from 8am to 6pm. Despite the letter in our room explaining this and that rennovations would not happen on weekends, they were happening on a Sunday. They also do not do late chackout unless you are staying on one of the expensive VIP floors, so if you have a late plane or train out of Hanoi this might be a problem.

Service in the hotel is very inconsistent - sometimes great, somtimes non existent. It took 3 cold showers, 2 notifications to hotel staff and more than 8 hours to fix the hot water in our room - which eventually took only 5 minutes to do.

Drinks and food are expensive by Vietnam standards, but about the same as you would pay in Australia.

Being just out of the centre of town the upper floors are quite quiet, far less traffic noise than you might get in a hotel closer in. It is quite easy to get into the city - walk, taxi, cyclo, motorbike. The view over the West Lake is very nice and the walk along the lakes is quite enjoyable.

The Sofitel Plaza Hanoi is probably OK for business travellers but not holiday makers who might want to relax in their hotel room between excursions, or sleep in on their holiday.

• Liked — Away from the noise of the city
  • Disliked — The rennovations going on in the hotel and the lack of business ethics in not advising us of this fact.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank MelbourneRed
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I just got back from 5 nights at the Sofitel Plaza. I stay at quite few hotels and I have to say this one is quite poor based on me experience of Asian Hotels.

Booking In
We initially had 2 x adjoining rooms (family stay). When we arrived the reception desk said no adjoining rooms were available and asked if we wanted to upgrade to a suite. I stood my ground and low and behold 2 x adjoining rooms were found. Typical hotel arrogance. I later had to arrange an additional night and the guy at the desk would not budge on the rack rate even though I could book cheaper through an agent. Obviously I went through a local agent and saved some dollars.

Rooms
The hotel is being renovated (or should I say recarpeted and painted). I ended up staying in both the unrenovated and newly renovated areas (I ended up upgrading to the suite after my trip to Ha Long Bay was cancelledand I needed another night). The older rooms are very tired and a little bit grubby. They are small and have really basic level amenities. The suite was larger with new furniture and nice carpet / views - nothing to get worked up about though. Still old fittings.

Overall
This hotel could do some really basic things to be better. The first thing I would do if I was managing the place is go and stay at another hotel and see what they do - try a nice one in Hong Kong for starters. That said they could:
- Inspect their service staff (buttons missing on uniforms etc). A little shabby and gives a real insight to the place at large.
- Spend a couple of bob and buy some LCD TV's. Even in the new area. Consider an LCD with a cheap PC. Both rooms I was in had small, old CRT's.
- Put some decent mattresses in the place - not ones made from granite.
- Make some rooms non-smoking instead of everything being smoking. Cigarette burns do not look too flash on bedside tables. The general floor areas do not smell so great either - unless you like stale smoke.
- Learn how to make decent coffee at breakfast.
- If the extra price is not too much get a room on the Executive level. The club is quite good compared to others I have been in (except for the PC's which run like dogs).
- The location is fairly ordinary and out of the way. That said it was $2 USD to get a taxi to the Old Quarter area or the CBD.
- What was good, Mings Restaurant, the pool (gym was okay too for hotel standards), Executive Lounge (especially at evening drinks), Bell Boys were helpful, complimentary bottled water.

Conclusion
Unlikely to stay there again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Liked — The Executive Lounge
  • Disliked — Snooty staff - Big chain hotel arrogance.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Cebu, Philipppines
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed 2 interrupted nights at the Sofitel Plaza in Hanoi. The 2nd night in between our stay was spent on an overnight cruise on the Emeraude on Halong Bay. The hotel stored our bags while we were gone, making things easy and convenient. The hotel sorely needs a make-over. Decor is passe, the carpet smells old and the bathroom hardware is failing. On the first night, our room smelled of stale cigarettes even if we were on the non-smoking floor. On our subsequent stay, our toilet wouldn't flush so we had to wait for someone to fix it for us. The shower door wasn't closing properly and the floor wasn't angled for the water to flow towards the drain. You can imagine all that water all over the bathroom. We had to use even the bathrobes to dry up that mess. English is fine at reception and the concierge but sign language for housekeeping and engineering. Overall though the hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant. Can't walk to anywhere interesting so it is a tad inconvenient. About 20 minutes by taxi to the center which is where we should have been in the first place. Would I stay there again? Not if I had a choice. Now if I didn't have a choice, I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. Not the worst place to be in Hanoi.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Auckland
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I stayed for a single night on a business trip in August 2007. The hotel boasts a 5 star rating. Dont be fooled. The room itself was clean enough but lacked decent shower pressure (which I hate!) and uncomfortable pillows. However the biggest disappointment was the awful breakfast buffet. Its located in a small pokey little area and has extremely limited options.

Also note, like many have previously, that the location is poor - almost no restaurants are about, the traffic is heavy and there are no bars to visit. It is also a long way out from the central area where it all happens - you certainly wont be walking it. So, if you are visiting Hanoi for tourism, do not stay here.

• Liked — I didnt have to pay for it
  • Disliked — Location, breakfast, shower pressure
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Baden-Baden
Reviewed August 27, 2007

I can’t understand the badly reviews. We stayed in this hotel for the second time and everything was perfect. A few parts of the hotel were rebuilt – the breakfast room and a new, nice and aesthetic hotel bar. The service was good, especially at the breakfast room and the hotel bar – everybody was very nice and obligingly. The breakfast was excellent and you got everything you like. We have had a normal superior room, the bathroom was spacious and everything was clean. The hotel is not directly in the city centre. There are some pretty nice restaurants in the neighbourhood – e. g. the Siphu Restaurant around the corner.

Stayed December 2006