7,341 results
All reviewsopera wingbamboo barold wingbomb sheltermacaroonsspices gardenbunker tourle beaulieuchocolate buffetjoan baezgrand premium roombutler servicehistorical hotelvietnam warvietnamese restaurantclub floorclassic hotel
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My wife and I just returned from two weeks in Vietnam. We stayed at the Park Hyatt in Saigon (superb) and the La Residence in Hue (also wonderful) and, alas, the Metropole in Hanoi. I couldn't say enough about the Hyatt and La Residence - both top rate establishments. I enjoyed the Metropole, but I'd rank it 3 of 3 of the hotels we stayed at. We were met on time at the airport (Nobai) by the hotel driver and a nice Mercedes and whisked to the hotel. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted and assisted to the check-in desk in the lobby. (One nice thing about the Hyatt is that they show you straight to your room and do the check in there.) We checked in 4 hours early and there was no problem. The staff was polite and friendly - no complaints - and politely refused any tips. (There is a no tipping policy in the hotel.) Our room (in the Historic Wing) was at the end of the hall (101), spacious, and well restored. The bathroom was very nice as well, with a HUGE bathtub that can easily fit two. We spent most of the morning shopping in the Old Quarter or visiting museums/temples/pagodas and the hotel pool was a great afternoon escape from the streets. The pool is small but meets the need. I recommend staying in the Historic Wing as the Opera (new) wing is an awkward glom-on to the original building and not as nice. I can't speak for the rooms there. The pool bar was nice, but I thought the service at the pool was lacking. Of the 5 days we spent there, the cold towel/water service was sporadic and they don't put all the chair cushions out so you have to wait while the pool attendant runs to grab them. Unfortunatly, the lobby bar was under renovation, so we couldn't use it. The Met Pub in the Opera Wing was nice - good place to watch the World Cup. The exercise room is small but has a good selection of weights and machines. The food we ate at the hotel was good (room service and pool). We ate all of our dinners out in the city and I highly recommend Bobby Chinns and The Opera Club (across from the Opera Wing.) Also, don't miss a chance to see a performance at the Hanoi Opera - very cool. Well, I enjoyed the Metropole, but did not feel I received commensurate service for the price paid as I did at the Hyatt and La Residence. Were I to plan my trip again, I'd start in Hanoi at the Metropole, then La Residence in Hue, and then the Hyatt in Saigon (Good, Better, Best). All told, it is a nice place, but I've been to better. I'd rate it closer to 4 stars than 5. Have a great trip. S/F JMP//

• Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank Joe_Plenzler
Reviewed June 29, 2006

Unfortunately, we have decided to choose Sofitel Metropole for our stay in hanoi and it wasn't a good idea because it's not a good place at all...
We have had a problem on check-in and the staff at the reception wasn't efficient and a bit arrogant. We have been obliged to wait for more than half of an hour before to have our room. Moreover, they promised us an upgrading due to the waiting time but it wasn't true because i know all the categories of this hotel and the room we have had is the category i'd booked. This detail is particularly disappointing but unfortunately this is not the only worst detail...
In general, the staff is not smily at all and noot especially nice except the concierge and the bell boy who have been very efficient and friendly. The lobby is the best place in the hotel because on the floors, it's not clear at all and the rooms are dramatically small. The bed is the only place to be and fortunately, the concept "My bed" is very comfortable because there is not a comfortable seat in the room. The bathroom is just OK but amenities are not really "five stars"... and the air conditionning system was extremly noisy and not efficient at all.
Regarding the new decoration, it's better than in the past but the room we have had was too dark and not so lively and i've expected something much better...
And what to say about food? We haven't tried the restaurant but the opinion or the breakfast is bad with "Bonne Maman" jams and regular viennoiseries not like in other five stars hotels....
Honnestly, if you have to choose an hotel in Hanoi, keep your money and choose De syloia less expensive but more intimate because at Sofitel Metropole, this is like in a museum full of tourists...
A disappointing experience...

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank RCBLHKG
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I stayed at the Metropole for two days in May 2006. To get to the hotel from the airport I would recommend taking a taxi. My friend and I took a "shuttle", for which we ended up having to pay extra bucks as the Metropole wasn't one of the hotel it usually stopped at.

Anyway, once in the hotel, it's a haven of peace and relaxation. The reception area is very well decorated in traditional colonial style, and the staff is efficient and friendly. We had to wait an hour for our room to be ready, and we were given vouchers for drinks.

We stayed in the colonial part of the hotel. The room was small but had everything we needed: comfortable beds, very nice bathroom, and it was nicely decorated in dark wood in colonial style. The wing where we stayed overlooked the main road, but it was well isolated and we could hardly hear any of the mad beeping and honking going on right outside our window.

The facilities at the hotel were very nice: the pool is small but just perfect, once again you can barely hear any of the mad traffic on the other side of the building. The pool side lounge chairs are comfortable, the pool side bar is just perfect: fans, wood everywhere, excellent service - it's just the most relaxing setting. The other restaurants in the hotel are all very nice and reasonably priced.

The gym was pretty big but most of the equipment is dated and it's just not as welcoming as the rest of the hotel.

Overall I cannot recommend the hotel enough. It costed us $30 per room per night to stay in the colonial wing, but it was worth it. Definitely the best hotel in Hanoi.

6  Thank Erin_Brooks
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Having read some of the reviews of this hotel I am starting to wonder if everyone's been staying at the same place. My husband and I started our two week tour of Vietnam at The Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi and it set the standard of the hotels we were to experience on our holiday - absolutely brilliant! The experience started with an airport transfer - after 14 hours from London how nice to be met at the airport, escorted to an air conditioned vehicle and then handed two bottles of ice cold water to enjoy on the trip in to Hanoi. We had booked rooms in the New Opera Wing - there wasn't any peeling wallpaper in sight. We have no complaints about our room - a great view overlooking the pool (which is a wonderful oasis to return to for a swim after the hustle and bustle of Hanoi ... as soon as you sit down by the pool they bring you cold towels and a glass of water) with complimentary water, a fruit bowl and a turn down service each evening. All the staff were courteous and friendly. We were also given vouchers for a free welcome drink in the bar which we used. It is definitely a 5 star location (convenient for the old quarter) with 5 star service. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would definitely stay here again - look for the best rates on the Sofitel website ... at $109 per night you would pay twice that in Europe for the same service.

5  Thank Menis
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel Metropole for the last leg of our trip starting from Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), to Hoi An and then Hanoi. We thought we would enjoy our last night in Vietnam by staying at the Sofitel Metropole which advertises itself as a 5 star hotel. In Vietnam we adjusted our expectations down 1 star but were not prepared for the small smelly room with the peeling wall paper that we got when we arrived at the Sofitel. We had stayed at the Park Hyatt in HCMC, the Swiss Bethotel Golden Sand in Hoi An, both advertised as 5 star hotels and the Sofitel 'Opera Wing' doesn't come close. The Park Hyatt I would say is a 5 Star hotel even to North American Standards. The Golden Sand I would say is a 3-4 star by North American standards but is reflected in the lower price of the rooms. The Sofitel Metropole's Opera Wing is 2 star with a 5 star price tag. We paid the most for the Sofitel and was least happy among the hotels we stayed at. I took a peak in the old wing and while the furniture was definately 4-5 star, the rooms were very small. The king bed, suitcase stand and tv table almost fills the entire room. There are no extending gardens or grounds to speak of and the pool is consistant with a 3-4 star city hotel pool. The service was inconsistant. Some of the hotel staff were great and others couldn't be bothered to crack a smile. In comparison the Park Hyatt's staff were much more professional. We hired the hotel's cyclo for an hour and they were miserable. My husband and I tried to draw them out, get them to crack a small but they wouldn't break. I tried to get them to go a little faster than the crawl we were at but he pretended not to see or hear me. The best thing at the hotel was the breakfast buffet in the Vietnamese Restaurant which was excellant, and the bed which was very comfortable. We loved Vietnam in general. It's a beautiful country with some very friendly people. The one annoying thing we found was being constantly short changed, extorted and deceived by local touts and businesses for money. By the end of our time in Vietnam, the $30US 'upgrade' option felt like extortion to us. Either pay-up or stay in this damp, smelly room with peeling wall paper and poorly finished bathroom. By the time you arrive in your room you really don't want to find another hotel. Most people don't have the energy or desire to ruin their holiday by having to engage in a disbute. We made the best of it but I would say that there is definately a bit of faulty advertising going on here and I would not stay here again. I would however pay the 15US dollars for the breakfast buffet. Good breakfast.

4  Thank Mobile27961