Hanoi La Selva Hotel(Hanoi)
$66
$46
$99
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $120/night.

$52
$107
JW Marriott
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $126/night.

$135
$129
$107
Otel.com
7,244 results
All reviewsopera wingbamboo barold wingbomb sheltermacaroonsspices gardenbunker tourle beaulieuchocolate buffetjoan baezgrand premium roomvietnam warbutler servicehistorical hotelvietnamese restaurantfrench colonial styleclub floor
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoï is a very typical hotel, heritage of the french colonial period.
I recommend it for its situation, the friendliness of its staff. Restaurants are well diversified and can meet all expectations

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view on the garden
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear PaulD,

Thank you for recommending Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I am delighted that your stay in Hanoi was an enjoyable one and you made the most of our central location to visit this genuinely fascinating and historically interesting Hanoi city.

We look forward to welcoming you back…

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is definitely very luxurious and impressive looking, we loved the history of the place, and the facilities are first class. But given how much you are paying the rooms (in the new wing at least, where we were) were not perfect, nor was the location (staying in the old quarter was much better and closer to everything, where the metropole is located is a bit dead), the room service food was horrible (and incredibly pricey, even for a 5 star joint), and the service really wasn't great - and this was the biggest negative for us, given how many really budget places we had stayed at with far better service (it costs nothing to be nice!).

Our room was small, they were inconsistent with servicing the room, with a measly two tiny bottles of water a day, and the bathroom had a few problems, particularly with the bath/shower screen which leaked pretty badly and took ages to drain (a situation which didn't improve even after reporting the problem to housekeeping). Then we had a bad experience with the tour offered by the hotel to Halong Bay. This was not cheap, but the tour was no better quality than any other so clearly the hotel takes a big cut! But the highlight was when our boat crashed, yes crashed, into one of the limestone cliffs and we had to abandon ship - I swear I'm not making this up, we have pictures! We obviously reported this back to the concierge but they were very reluctant to make any amends, eventually (several weeks after returning home) took a measly few percent off the price.

Even if we could afford to, we wouldn't stay here again. We were really put off by the pretentiousness of the staff and clientele (why do some 5 star places feel the need to be so pompous?!), and the poor service. It just doesn't justify the price tag, especially when there are other excellent quality hotels closer to the Old Quarter for a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah261

Dear Hannah261,

It was our great pleasure to recently have you with us at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi and thank you for sharing your feelings regarding your stay with us.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the boat crash in Halong Bay and have already escalated this with our travel partner who provides all tour services for hotel guests to assist with your specific concerns.

Regarding the food and service quality of the room service meal, we have already followed up with our Chef and Room Service Team to look into the food you ordered and the delivery to rectify the specific processes immediately.

Your comment regarding the bathroom drainage has been well noted and we have taken steps to review your room in particular and will reinforce steps within our regular room maintenance programme.

We appreciate the positive comments you also made as well as the constructive feedback, which as noted above, we have fully taken on board.

We look forward to your return to Hanoi and to Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Sofitel Metropole is conveniently located within walking distance of many of Hanoi's attractions. The waterfront is only a block away, and "old Hanoi" within a 10 minute walk. We took advantage of the free tour of the former bunker/bomb shelter that was used to protect guests during the bombing of Hanoi during the Vietnam war. Joan Baez took shelter here during a raid, and one of her paintings is on display near the bunker entrance.

The hotel also obtained tickets to the Water Puppet Show show for us, a real deal at $5 each. There was no service charge for the tickets. The theatre is a short 10 minute walk from the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the live traditional music and dextrous handling of the many water puppets during the 45 minute show.

Service at the hotel was top notch, with friendly, helpful staff, clean well-appointed rooms and a satisfying breakfast buffet to start the day.

We walked around the city both in daylight and in the evening after dark. No one bothered us, not even souvenir sellers. At no time did we feel unsafe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rollym

Dear Rollym,

You have covered all of our assets: central location and high standards of service. Thank you so much for emphasizing on those points.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I can understand that people are impressed by the looks of this hotel. Especially when you come as a tourist to Hanoi. I'm coming to Vietnam for over 20 years, so not a tourist. The hotel looks nice indeed, but to stay there is quite a challenge. Upon arrival on the first day, my room was not available until 14:00. Although booked, there was a problem with my early arrival. So I had to wait for 7 hours in the lobby. Which I decided not to do and walked out to the nearby Hilton, who were able to help me. Kind people in the Hilton. After a few days travel through Vietnam, my colleagues and I came back to the Metropole. Where we had bookings. Indeed the staff was able to handle our bookings and suggested an upgrade. At extra cost. Which we accepted. Then problems started to arise again. I was staying for three more days and they could only upgrade me for two days. So I had to move during my stay. Until the last moment it was unclear to where but they got it sorted. When checkng out all sorts of things got confused. Won't go into the details. When the lady asked me if I had enjoyed my stay, I said "no", and she answered with "good". When I wanted my invoice in UsD instead of Dhong, that was not possible. It was not in the system. Will I go back? No. There are plenty of better hotels in Hanoi. And try the Opera Hilton. Nice people at the Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank Marco P
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was our great pleasure to recently have you with us at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi and thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay in Hanoi.

We were very sorry to read that you were not able to get the room earlier than our standard check-in time at 14.00hrs. Our team had tried their best to offer you a courtesy room in the morning for a shower and some relaxation, as we do for all non-pre registered rooms however you were not in favour of this offer and cancelled the reservation to move elsewhere. Please also note, you would also have placed on a priority for check in once a room had been made available for a incoming arrival - also standard for us.

On your second visit, we could not extend the upgrade of all 3 rooms of your party for you as the hotel was fully booked. We apologize for the inconvenience caused however our team were attempting to assist to make your official return stay more enjoyable with at least a partial upgrade - we have reviewed our internal process for moving forward with these situations.

Lastly, we fully understand your frustration about the invoice in US Dollars, your comment is not the first we have received regarding this specific point. However any request for a VAT invoice has to be issued in Vietnamese Dong, if not we will not be following Vietnamese law.

Please contact me personally if I can assist you further and thank you again for making contact with us.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Rooms were lovely, staff friendly, club lounge was great and location was good. Only downside was step outside and you are in Hanoi and that was definitely a down side. Unfortunately, we found Hanoi dirty, smelly and most of the people unfriendly.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Mogfodav,

I am extremely thankful to all of your compliments regarding the hotel services, guest room, Club Lounge and Center location.

We then look forward to welcoming you back both for business and leisure purposes.