“Comfortable but at a price”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #45 of 596 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here twice , once day before travelling to halong bay and once after. The rooms are nice but not large. Breakfasts are excellent, but diner was ok in the Vietnamese restaurant but very expensive and not nearly as good as in town.Service is good but as mentioned over run by tour groups in the AM. Then getting service is hired.
The impression is of a hotel living off its laurels and at a price. Nothing bad but could do better.

Room Tip: Try the new wing
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Great that you enjoyed our breakfast and service. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were given a room facing the busy street at first and the non-stop car horns drove us crazy. Then we requested for a change and the second room was very quiet (could hear bird singing)! Room decoration was gorgeous and there was a shower and tub in the bathroom (only a tub in first room). Breakfast was very nice with a wide selection of food. Staff were helpful and it only took less than 10 mins to walk to the lake/ opera house.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I am very pleased to hear about your general satisfactory experience at our hotel and your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

With the choice of the old world charm in the Metropole side which is brilliantly presented or the more modern Opera side where the decor is more modern this hotel is the best in Hanoi I believe. We have stayed in both wings and have no real preference although the older side I believe is a bit cheaper. With the old world charm that has hosted many many world dignatories it oozes charm with the high colonial ceilings and dark polished timber. The opera wing is more modern but offered exactly the same high class. Restaurants are good but you can get excellent Vietnamese meals outside much cheaper but not quite the same classy service. It's well positioned for getting about and shopping without being right in the middle of everything and its quiet. We received an excellent exchange rate for changing Australian notes to Dong and far better than US. When the US tour groups are in it can be a bit noisy - but that's the same all over the world. Just move to another restaurant in house as there are three and all excellent.

Stayed: March 2013
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you have had a lovely stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi during your recent trip to our city.

It was a real delight that you have enjoyed our hotel old world charm, excellent service and location. Your satisfaction is our utmost reward.

I am looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stunning hotel, beautifully maintained and retaining its historical charm. An absolutely charming and special place. Rooms are well designed and decorated (we stayed in the new wing). The place has a buzz about it and is in a great location. We dined one night at the Italian restaurant...Angelina..and it was great food. An overall highlight of our trip to Hanoi and has to be one of the most special hotels in Asia.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

You have sum up all of our key assets and I thank you for such great a feedback. I am truly glad to hear that you have had an enjoyable experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights with a tour group. There are two parts to this hotel, the Old wing and Opera wing. We stayed in the Opera wing and found the room comfortable with a good sized bathroom. Our room 446 was a corner room which gave a walk in wardrobe. The only drawback was our less than perfect treatment at breakfast. The hotel appeared full which meant we could not join other members of our group in the main breakfast room, we were told to go elsewhere for breakfast (within the hotel) we chose breakfast in the garden bar being the nearest but this area seemed to be the poor relative. The service was lax and the staff locked the doors into the conservatory to prevent people entering or leaving other than through the main door. The staff seemed uninterested and offhand.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure reading such positive a feedback as yours and I thank you for that.

I will pass on your kind words to my teams which will serve as an encouragement to all of them to keep on providing high standard of services to all of our guests. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the service at the breakfast which I will reiterate with my team to ensure a better service in the future.

I look forward to your next visit to Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband I were lucky enough to spend a few days in Hanoi at the Sofitel Metropole Hotel. The historical wing was built during the French occupation in 1901. It has unbelievable charm and character. There also is a new section of the hotel called the Opera Wing, very nice as well. We stayed in a suite where a British author had written. The room came with butler service and they were so helpful and gracious. The property boost several restaurants; a French, an Italian, and a Vietnamese. All were lovely and the service flawless. I would try all 3 again. The pool is quaint a good getaway from the traffic of Hanoi. I had a very relaxing foot massage poolside. Also property has a few shops, a spa, and a hair salon. This hotel is worth coming to Hanoi alone. The service and staff were some of the best! I wanted to take my butler home!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Great that you enjoyed our service and the staff as well as the swimming pool. Swimming pool is the most favourite spaces in the hotel and agree good getaway from the traffic of Hanoi.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a very historic hotel in the center of town. They offer a tour of the hotel, including the bomb shelter, every evening - a reservation is needed. The rooms are nice and comfortable, although pretty small. They are nicely furnished and decorated. The bathroom is quite small with a single vanity, glasses in tub/shower and toilet - nothing special. The bamboo bar by the pool is very nice in the evening for a cocktail. Breakfast at the hotel is good, although it is very busy and often difficult to even find a table. The gym is well equipped with Life Fitness cardio equipment, but better weight machines are needed. Overall service at the hotel is good, but nothing special - I think that pretty well sums up the hotel - historic, nothing special and overpriced for what you get. After staying here two nights we decided that was enough. We planned to come back for one more night after Halong Bay, but did not the hotel enough to return (cancelled) and gave the Intercontinental West Lake a try - see separate review.

Room Tip: Get a reservation for the hotel tour. Try to get a larger room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am truly grateful for your feedback and thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi in Tripadvisor.

I take on board your comment on the breakfast being full every morning and difficult to find a table which I will review and work with my team to improve.

Thank you for sharing with us your concern and we look forward to welcoming you back.