“Best boutique hotel & friendly staff in Hanoi”

Golden Legend Hotel
Ranked #46 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
sydney
“Best boutique hotel & friendly staff in Hanoi”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at the Golden Sun Legend in 2 rooms (601 and 602) from 29Dec-02Jan'11 with my family of 4 and everything written about this great little hotel is true.

Mrs Hue (the Manager) and Mr Ha (relief reception staff) and the security staff were able to accomodate my family's requests during our stay even at short notice.

As we checked in after 6pm, Mr Ha was on duty and gave us a location briefing and handy street map to help us find restaurants in the area including Madame Hien which is the nicest restaurant both in terms of food and setting I've come across in Hanoi.

Mrs Hue was most helpful from the very first day I emailed her with my booking enquiry and followed up and replied to me within 24hours of my emails. I booked my Halong Bay Cruise through her on the Calypso (Oriential Sails) and she contacted me by email 1 day before our arrival to advise me that she had been informed by Oriental Sails that the boat was not available as it was under repairs. Oriental Sails was going to downgrade my booking to a lower grade junk but Mrs Hue argued on my behalf and between the two organisations upgraded me to the Dragons Pearl Junk (Indochina Cruises) without any additional cost to what I had agreed to pay on the Calypso. If I had booked this myself direct with the cruise company, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to get the same outcome for myself.

The hotel is located on a relatively quiet street with minimal scooter traffic/beeping (which is insane in Hanoi) and was a haven to return to during the day and night. It was located a close 10minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and 5 minutes to St Joseph's Cathedral. Complimentary snacks and tea/coffee facilities were provided each day in our hotel room along with 2 bottles of water.

Free PC/Internet in the room, plus a 32inch LCD TV, Room Safe and generous sized room was more than I had expected. Laundry was extremely cheap for USD2.00 per/kg including pressing and all returned the same day.

The best thing about this hotel is the fantastic, helpful and friendly staff they have woirking there. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them and they will strive to make yr stay enjoyable and its great location in Chan Cam Street.

I will return to the Golden Sun Legend when I next visit Hanoi and will highly recommend to my friends and family in the future.

2 Thank rabaul63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Close to the center of the Old Quarter without being smack in the middle of the hustle and bustle, Golden Sun Legend was a great and comfortable stay in Hanoi. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Room (paying the Superior US$50/night rate), and found it to be clean and very spacious. Some nice perks were the complimentary snacks, computer with free internet/wi-fi in the room, and endless supply of hot water. This was also the first hotel in our 2 week stay in Vietnam that was well lit (some lighting wasn't very flattering, but at least it wasn't constantly dim when the sun set).

Everyone spoke English very well, and was kind and helpful. The stay was pleasant overall. If you're willing to spring for a bit more than a backpacker's budget, this place is good bang for your buck.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LittleTravelBeast
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I booked the hotel and tour not knowing what I was in for. In faith I went with my wife and son and we were delighted by the service. The service was very good for a small hotel. Mrs Hue arranged a great package for my family.

The hotel location is in the Old part of Hanoi near the cathedral ; walking distance from the French quarters

We enjoyed the Halong trip and my son even got his own room without extra charge. We went to Sapa in faith not knowing who was expecting us. where we were staying, what kind of tour it would turn out to be? An enjoyable adventure. Nice large room at Royal View Hotel in Sapa. Great guide from a local tribe who speaks excellent English.

1 Thank James L
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Having traveled throughout more of Vietnam now I can honestly say the Goldensun Legend hotel has been one of the best as far as price and service go. We were provided with a free breakfast the morning we arrived (with a great range of delicious food...try the pho), and they organised a wonderful Sapa tour for us. The guys at the door were always smiling and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and a great chill out from the noise in Hanoi. These guys will really strive to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jselliott
Reviewed December 28, 2010

As I write this review, I am still staying in this awesome hotel. This is my last night, 28 Dec 2010. :)

Guess what, I am using the hotel PC right now, which is also provided in my room. For USD55 per night, 1 queen and 1 single beds, and a PC in my room for me to surf net in my pajamas, it is just great value.

the staff are polite, helpful and really gave good service.
The daily breakfast is free and really nice, with different local menu daily, cooked when you order.
the room is normal size, comes with a flat LCD or Plasma TV with cable programmes and you get free coffee and tibits/crackers provided everyday. these seems like small stuff, but it shows that the hotel is willing to throw in small things like these free, just to give you a great vacation experience. Did I forget to mention the free PC in the room for me to surf net hassle free ? :P I brought a netbook for this trip, and I have not turned it on since I checked in to this hotel :-)

The hotel Hanoi map provided was very handy, giving us good tips to nearby attractions and also which taxi company to engage to avoid getting ripped off. The hotel-airport transfer cost usd15 thru the hotel. if you go by yourself via metered taxi, it cost about the same too usd14-15.

We stayed 5 nights, and did two laundry runs with the hotel. It cost us a mere USD2 per kg. I have travelled to usa, europe and a nice portion of asia, and this is the cheapest hotel laundry service I have ever come across. My earlier HCM city 3+ star hotel in which i stayed cost me USD4.5 just to wash just 1 pants.

We booked two daily excursions thru the hotel (Halong 1D, Hoa Lu-Tam Coc 1D). Hazzle free and we get usd2 discount from the tour agency published internet rate (South Pacific Travel, Hanoi). My 10yr old son loved the short 30min kayak in Halong, and the sampan (row boat) ride in TamCoc is scenic, relaxing and soothing.

And yes, we actually checked in on Christmas Eve, and when we returned to our room after dinner, the hotel staff came knocking and gave us a free fruit/snack christmas basket free, plus a nice bottle of red wine. A merry christmas indeed.

Location-wise, it is in Old Quarter, the middle of everything. most good restaurants are within walking distance. There is a "Pho 10" small noodle shop just 15m away. it serves good pho, soup or fried style. There are also a good classy restaurant 'Madame Hien' and a handful of micro cafes within 30-50m and a convenient store just 1 block behind (3min walk).

We are checking out tomorrow, it has been an excellent 5 nights here and we will recommend this hotel to my friends and anyone out there in Trip Advisor. we have benefited much from Tripadvisor for our vacation planning, this is our small way to return this favor to the community :)

Hope this review is useful. May you all have many great vacations ahead :D

Yours truly,
Sharky (Singapore)
28 Dec 2010

1 Thank S_H_A_R_K_Y___SW
Reviewed December 27, 2010

My family (2 adults & 1 child) stayed here in room 402 on 10 December 2010 and room 601 on 12 & 13 December 2010 for a total of USD165 (Discounted rate as we booked another room for our friend's family & other services) for a Deluxe Triple Room directly through emails.

Though this hotel is very small, maybe 12 rooms in all, no pool or any fancy facilities but their services had won us over!

We booked with them the return airport transfer and 2D1N Dragon Pearl Junk Halong Bay Cruise and all the emails with Mrs Hue were fast and she was very patient with us, answering all our queries and doubts!

Mr Ha was on duty when we were there, he was very friendly, gave us maps, suggestions and tips on where to go & what to avoid, even after a long working shift, he was always so cheerful! The bellboy was very efficient and helpful, felt so relax to leave everything to them!

The room was comfortable and there was computer IN the room with free internet access which so far no big hotels we had stayed have such generous service. The bathroom was ok, shower with removable shower head plus the complimentary soaps & shampoo, etc.

The location is very convenient, near to many places of interest and cafes or restaurants. Walking distance to the Lake Hoan Kiem, Water Puppet Theatre, Dong Xuan Market and Trang Tien Plaza (shopping mall with supermarket to buy local titbits). Taxi fare from hotel to Temple of Literature was only VND36,000 (Mr Ha helped us to call for a cab). The only challenge was crossing the busy roads & streets.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was simple but we could order from the menu too!

Overall, my family will stay here again!

Reviewed December 22, 2010

Great hotel service! The staff were attentive to our every needs and explained everything clearly so that we had an enjoyable experience. They picked us up and allowed early check-in, and even provided us with an excellent buffet breakfast at no extra charge. The room was clean, bright and comfortable, with sufficient space for all three of us. The hotel is located away from the noisy main road, so it's quite a good location. They certainly put in 200% to make their guests feel welcome.

Buffet breakfast was a good spread, on the top floor, with city view. I could even catch a glimpse of the top half of an "Eiffel Tower". Chuckle. Certain dishes, like the pho, was cooked on the spot and served hot.

The town area is about 8 to 10 minutes walk, near the Water Puppet Theatre, Tourist information center and Dong Xuan night market.